Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there other options with a med degree?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was just curious given the dissatisfaction with a lot of doctors at the moment working in the HSE what are the other options for someone planning on staying in Ireland.

I had a quick look at loadzajobs.ie and seen a job which required a med degree and a PhD and several years experience... didn't mention salary though, seems like pretty big demands if they weren't planning on paying well for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

There are a few options:

1. Research - pursue advanced degrees in sciences (i.e., PhD) and move towards the very large job market in pharmaceuticals (obviously this is much bigger in europe than Ireland, loads of opportunities in DE, CH, etc., )

2. Management - MBA. This is more of an option in the english speaking world, as doctors are in management roles in europe. But, you could divert entirely away from medicine towards banking, etc., whatever takes your fancy. In fact, you don't need an MBA - just go direct to McKinsey or Boston Consulting and see what they say. They take on medical doctors or science PhDs with no MBAs, etc., all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Although it would require some more study there would possibly be options in the medico-legal field.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

I more than likely will be entering medicine come fall and whilst its mere speculation atm I'm really intersted in the medical-legal route and was just wondering does anyone have any experience or know someone who has pursued this career path?and if so is it a viable career options in what I'm sure will be an ever increasingly competitive field.Thanks an over zealous daydreamer:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A Medical degree is seen as a high quality marker by lots of employers.
    From my class one Dr is now a pilot and I know others who gone into finance, politics, journalism, academia and a friend is now a Brother in a monastery !

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

How exactly would one diverge from medicine to finance?they seem completely unrelated and would it not require further education in the financial field?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The big financial consulting houses love to have someone with a Dr title. THey will train you in what you need to know finance wise. Its still essentially people work they won't be auditing accounts or something

Advertisement