Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The O2 Dublin 4/11/2011 -- No ticket advertising

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ah that was absolutely brilliant! I wasn't expecting it to be that good, I really did love it. One of the best performances I have seen to date. Great lighting effects and use of the big screen things too :D. I really need to learn to not go up near the front as I always end up half dead during the first song. Ill know next time :rolleyes:

I really wasn't expecting Emmit Remus and was so happy when I heard the intro to it. Love that song.

I don't mind that they didn't play otherside. You can't have everything.

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Could anyone please post the actual Setlist they played tonight?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-hot-chili-peppers/2011/the-o2-dublin-ireland-4bd19b4e.html

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

Was the whole checking receipts and ID thing actually enforced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Was the whole checking receipts and ID thing actually enforced ?

in a half arsed way i bought my friends tickets and theyd to go in a different entrance they were just asked the name on the ticket.id my drivers licence on top of my ticket actually covered the name without realising and nothing was said just a quick shine of the torch and off i went.

anyone think the new songs sounded better live than on the album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Gig was amazing last night, have to say the stage set up and lighting was fantastic and I think the venue really suited them, we had such a good night!

My only complaint is we would have liked more songs from the new album, but that's just being greedy:D

My boyfriend's ID was checked on the way in as the tickets were in his name, everyone we saw was checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Did anyone else catch the Chilis in around Dublin?

I heard they are browsing around today because they don't have to go to Belfast till tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Awesome gig!

Surprised to see people thought they were going through the motions, I thought they were really on the money last night! Bar the headline gig at Slane Castle in 03, I'd put last nights show right up there in terms of energy and performance. Flea in particular was playing at a different level!

I'm a huge John Frusciante fan so was initially a bit sceptical about how well the band could move forward without him. Glad I kept an open mind though, Josh really is the perfect replacement. He has worked with John on his solo stuff and with the Chilis for years so he knows what the band is all about, but he also brings a really unique style all of his own. He's a tremendous musician! I felt he really came into his own playing his own songs last night (and agree with Linguo ^ , would've liked to see a few more from I'm With You on the setlist). Only downside is I thought Josh's mic was too low at times. He's a great range so would've liked for his harmonies to be more to the front at times!

Had a great night last night, roll on next June :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I enjoyed it and Im not a rock guy- "Under the Bridge" was a big song of my formative teenage years. The band really impressed me- esp the drummer, thought he was awesome. It was the first concert I was at where the music was far richer than the vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thought the crowd made the gig great, band not so much. I agree that they were just more or less going trough the motions. They looked bored a lot of time. There just wasn't much energy on stage and that's unforgivable considering how up for it everyone was.

Still really enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Really enjoyed the gig. The lighting and the set list was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I can't put into words what last night meant to me. I've been waiting so many years to see them live that last night was probably one of the greatest moments of my life. They may not be everyone's cup of Bovril but to me they're simply unreal.

When I got into the building there were about 1500 people in front of me and it was 15-20 deep across the whole front of the stage. No need to fear though, I just used the same skills I did at the Obama speech and slid past people. By the time the Chilis came on stage I was at the very front of the crowd, about 5 feet away from Flea. Thank god I've been doing my sit-ups though, it's not a nice feeling to have 10,000 people pushing you from behind and you're being crushed up against a steel fence. Stomach is fairly in bits now, from the drink and the pushing.

Was delighted that they played Scar Tissue. Definitely one of my favourite Chilis songs. Unreal moment to hear Can't Stop and Under the Bridge live as well. I think Around the World made my night though. Judging by the videos I'd seen of their concerts on this tour and the setlists it was the last song I expected to hear but I was so glad they played it.
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    I agree that they were just more or less going trough the motions. They looked bored a lot of time. There just wasn't much energy on stage and that's unforgivable considering how up for it everyone was.

I honestly couldn't disagree with you more. The only way I could have had a better view was if I was on the stage and I was very impressed by their energy. Flea, in particular, looked like he popped something before :pac:. Sure for half the concert he forgot he had to play the bass and was jumping round the stage like a lunatic. My favourite part was when he came onto the stage during the encore doing a handstand. Not bad for a 49 year old to walk across a 30-40 foot stage on his hands.

Another great bit was when Anthony and Flea were jumping in circles on the stage together. Then over in the corner Josh was on his own making love to the speakers. I thought it was funny anyway. Anthony was a bit quieter than the others but Josh was throwing himself all over the place.

I've been to see OFWGKTA, who are the most energetic group I've ever seen (if you don't now them then I'd highly recommend googling them). I'd safely rank Flea as being up there with them on the basis of last night anyway and he has to play a bass at the same time.

I met a guy on the way in who was bringing his 12 yo son to the gig. I wish my dad had brought me to see them when I was 12. Great to see not all kids have been sucked in Justin Bieber or whatever other nonsense is out there today.

• Advertisement

I honestly couldn't disagree with you more. The only way I could have had a better view was if I was on the stage and I was very impressed by their energy.

No bother, glad you liked it as much as you did.

I was more speaking of emotional energy than a physical one though. I just felt that their movements on stage were something that was routine, rather than coming from anything close to spontaneity. I just felt no connection with with the band other than Flea, who I agree was amazing but I still felt that even he was going through the motions quite often, but he did try more than the others to connect with the crowd, that's for sure.

As for the setlist, would have like to have heard more from Blood Sugar and Mother's Milk, but that's just personal choice really. Maybe at croker where I will for certain make sure of a ticket in the pit, lets hope the weathers good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Couldn't believe they played "Right on time"

They literally played all my favourite songs. Definitely one of the best gigs I've been to. I know that may be an overstatement for some of you but I had a brilliant time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Always a bad sign when people say the lighting was the best thing.

John Frusciant is a huge loss and they don't look or sound the same without him.

Just didn't do it for me seeing another guitarist playing John's parts and indeed John was the main songwriter.

Grand gig considering it is not really the Chilis

dedon wrote: »

John Frusciant is a huge loss and they don't look or sound the same without him.

Just didn't do it for me seeing another guitarist playing John's parts and indeed John was the main songwriter.

You obviously must have been expecting a good gig if you paid €65+ to see the Chilis.

I don't think Frusciante is that big a loss. He is good but overrated in some ways too.

He may have been a magnificent musician but he wasn't absolutely essential for making the Chilis one of the world's most loved bands.

Keidis and Flea are the only two who were there since the beginning. As long as those two are still in the equation its still the RHCP.

Personally I would like Frusciante back myself but Josh is quite a decent replacement and he knows a lot about the Chilis, having worked with Frusciante and toured with them for Stadium Arcadium shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not really the Chilis ? :D:D:D ffs

I was more speaking of emotional energy than a physical one though. I just felt that their movements on stage were something that was routine, rather than coming from anything close to spontaneity. I just felt no connection with with the band other than Flea, who I agree was amazing but I still felt that even he was going through the motions quite often, but he did try more than the others to connect with the crowd, that's for sure.

As for the setlist, would have like to have heard more from Blood Sugar and Mother's Milk, but that's just personal choice really. Maybe at croker where I will for certain make sure of a ticket in the pit, lets hope the weathers good.

Ah I got a bit confused there. I don't want to sound like I'm a stan but I'd imagine they might find it hard to get into the concerts as much these days considering the length of the touring schedule. I think they're on the road until 2013. That's a ridiculous schedule for anyone never mind a band that's been doing this for 25+ years. After doing hundreds and hundreds of concerts I'd say the whole concert at this stage is just a big routine to them. They know exactly what to do and say, only a few of the songs will be different.

I'd agree that it would have been nice to hear songs like Sir Psycho but Around the World makes up for me on that one.

Definitely think I'll be getting a ticket for Croker now. Have no money at all. Might have to dip into the reserves on my laser. Should be worth it though. No better place than Croke Park on a sunny day for anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

Concert was class, would have loved them to play otherside though. Amazing

Meant to ask: what was going on with security and Kiedis during Under The Bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

Meant to ask: what was going on with security and Kiedis during Under The Bridge?

The security were pulling someone out of the crowd and Anthony was telling them to make sure he wasn't hurt.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I felt the same when i seen them at Oxegen 2006 . Musically the band were great but there was no real connection and thats why i skipped them last night .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I can't believe that AK was sick and still put on such a great performance.

I really enjoyed it. There were some absolute dicks in the crowd though which was annoying. And totally ruined part of the gig for me :mad:

I really loved josh! He was great!

Chad's solo/thing with mauro was super cool!!!!

Loved hearing so many older songs but as some one else said it would have been good if they played more new stuff but maybe that was because of AK's voice or something.

He had such great energy sometimes i was looking at him on stage and thinking I'm getting tired jumping and down and he's doing freaky dances for an hour and a half!!!

I loved Fleas little thing at the end about how great we all are. I totally missed his story about mexico due to the aforementioned dicks. Anyone remember the details? It sounded good.

i really enjoyed Fool's gold as well. Saw josh watching them from the side of the stage.

Was is not loud enough for anyone though? Like i moved around a good bit and there was no where that it felt super loud. Is that just was the new Point is like?

Was is not loud enough for anyone though? Like i moved around a good bit and there was no where that it felt super loud. Is that just was the new Point is like?

Spend 4 hours right up beside all of the speakers and you'll know what loud is I'm telling ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

Kiedis was goin thru the motions and his gestures to backstage staff a few times showed he wasnt too pushed. Flea is now the driving force as his bass is overshadowing the fact that Klinong/klinghoffer is just jumping around like hes got a 3phase cable up his hole.During a number of songs he was completely out of tune. Great band/Poor performance
    And by the way the sound was ****E

karaokeman wrote: »
    You obviously must have been expecting a good gig if you paid €65+ to see the Chilis.

I don't think Frusciante is that big a loss. He is good but overrated in some ways too.

He may have been a magnificent musician but he wasn't absolutely essential for making the Chilis one of the world's most loved bands.

Keidis and Flea are the only two who were there since the beginning. As long as those two are still in the equation its still the RHCP.

Personally I would like Frusciante back myself but Josh is quite a decent replacement and he knows a lot about the Chilis, having worked with Frusciante and toured with them for Stadium Arcadium shows.

No matter what you say, Frusciante is an amazing songwriter and responsbile for writing pretty much all of By the Way and all the mellow songs from Californication, and not to forget under the bridge.

RHCP without him are only half the band and it showed last night.

Most of the people around met at the front were die hard fans didnt think much of Josh.

As I said earlier the lighting was the best thing about the show and that says a lot.

muppet01 wrote: »
    Kiedis was goin thru the motions and his gestures to backstage staff a few times showed he wasnt too pushed. Flea is now the driving force as his bass is overshadowing the fact that Klinong/klinghoffer is just jumping around like hes got a 3phase cable up his hole.During a number of songs he was completely out of tune. Great band/Poor performance
    And by the way the sound was ****E

Totally agree with that. It was Bass all night and Josh obviously cannot play any of the difficult parts and just uses effects

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Majority of reviews here ae pretty immature and im sure in ten years you will see different! Amazing performance by RHCP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Totally agree with that. It was Bass all night and Josh obviously cannot play any of the difficult parts and just uses effects

Are you for real? Difficult parts? That comment says everthing about the current crop of chilli fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

glad to see im not the only one thinking they were going through the motions.
    they werent bad or anything i still enjoyed the show but there was just something lacking! maybe my expectations were a little high as it was my first time seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Rossgorry wrote: »
    The security were pulling someone out of the crowd and Anthony was telling them to make sure he wasn't hurt.

Not true that bloke somehow jumped out of the crowd and tried to pull himself up onstage and was under AK and then 4 of the security dragged him away and wrestled him out

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    there was just something lacking! maybe my expectations were a little high as it was my first time seeing them.

Only thing lacking was Otherside. Had they played that song I'd give the gig 10/10.

No I didn't really see them as going through the motions. All bands more or less play the same show every night of the tour. Anthony as previously pointed out was sick so that would probably explain the boredom comment.

Dedon : Josh, if you think he can't play any of the difficult parts of a song I would like to see you do better. He's the one who makes money from this s*** after all

Advertisement