Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The O2 Dublin 4/11/2011 -- No ticket advertising

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Are you for real? Difficult parts? That comment says everthing about the current crop of chilli fans!

Current crop? I can guarantee I have been listening to the Chilis long before you.

Josh cannot play the guitar parts the way John could and is nowhere near the standard and it showed last night.

Those songs are Frusciante's and the guitar on them is what makes them so brilliant. So seeing another fella doing an OK job with a sh$T load of effects will not cut it for the die hard fans to be honest.

Each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

zweton wrote: »
    glad to see im not the only one thinking they were going through the motions.
    they werent bad or anything i still enjoyed the show but there was just something lacking! maybe my expectations were a little high as it was my first time seeing them.

I'd say Frusciante was the thing missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

D1976 wrote: »
    Not true that bloke somehow jumped out of the crowd and tried to pull himself up onstage and was under AK and then 4 of the security dragged him away and wrestled him out

Maybe I'm wrong about them pulling him out, but if you watch a video of the gig Anthony tells them not to hurt him and then to make sure he is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

As a John Frusciante Fanatic, I must say I was quite negative on having this new guy Josh even though he has been with them for basically 5 years and been pretty much mentored into the position. The main thing is not to expect John Frusicante as Josh is not him and does not have the range especially in the solo's department but I though Josh was great last night and was the energy behind the band for me. I like the fact he jumped around the stage and got the people up front going great IMO. He played some very good solo parts on Cant Stop and Give it away if I remember correctly. He won me over and going to get my hands on the Croke Park tickets.

Josh also was out supporting Fools Gold the whole night at the side of the stage which I thought was cool and Chad came out earlier to sign stuff for 10-20 mins which was good reward for the early souls.

The new album songs sound so much better live, Look around is a great live song as is Factory of Faith with flea's bassline( pretty sure that is the song). The setlist was good, Me and My Friends was a massive surprise and was rocking the place. All the great oldies was their. Love to see Suck My Kiss or I could have lied but can't get everything.

Overall I was very impressed, even as i was sitting down the energy was superb. Crowd standing really were good and I could feel Josh Feeded off them more than anyone else. Some beautiful Picking by Josh on a few sounds and real grinding sound's came out in the new songs. Jam's were good but nothing compared to the holy triangle from Slane 03.

Wonder will Croke Park become a DVD???...maybe a guest apperance by John???...we can only dream!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Well i've only seen the chilis once before and that was at slane.

So my opinion on the josh vs john argument is this:

Yes Josh doesn't play exactly the same as John but I actually quite like his style.
    I'm far to young to know but i'm sure people found John's style different from hillel's.

For me the band is about Flea anyway. I like it when he is the focus rather than John's soloing or whatever.

The only thing that I found different from Slane, which is one of the best gigs of my life, was that it did feel like AK wasn't as into it. But that can definitely be explained by his sickness. I know i've been sick lately and i could stand up there and do as well as he did.
    But then i'm a take it or leave it john fan and i know more than any other guitarist he has die hard fans who are mad about him.

But i would definitely say it was a great gig. For those who miss john, maybe he will do some solo gigs for you guys soon......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Everyone quit your moaning. They put on a great performance for us! and the new guitarist is a brilliant replacement in my opinion and there probably isn't many more suitable than him out there that could replace John.
    John left for his own reasons and they needed to replace him. Id rather they did than break up or go on hiatus.

The way some of you complain about the performance you would swear you don't even like the band. all large bands "go through the motions". With the amount of gigs they play they kind of have to, they are performers after all.

Last year Iron maiden used the exact same dialogue word for word talking to the crowds in Dublin as they did in England and other places, lots of huge touring bands do so. You can't expect them to be in great spirits like its the first time playing in ages the whole time. Flea seemed in a great mood talking to us and I have noticed that many bands really like playing in Ireland and always tell us this.

Ive played with 2 bands live over the past 3-4 years and I know well that I would not be able perform with such energy and passion like they do every week.

Anyway enough of my defending rant :D.
    I was pretty impressed by the huge crew they had on stage setting up for them after Fools Gold, Ive never seen so many doing that before. And there was like 4 lads of either side sitting up on a wobbly light rack for the entire show. I wonder how many people are actually in the chili's crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

But i would definitely say it was a great gig. For those who miss john, maybe he will do some solo gigs for you guys soon......

I'd love that. He is probably the only singer with a guitar that I can listen to. Whatever way he plays and sings I like it. Hate the likes of Ed Sheeran, can't stand him.

John's solo music is unreal at times. It's a shame really that he's so good at the guitar because he's a much better singer than Kiedis and he would do a better job on the mic imo as blasphemous and all as that sounds :pac:.

Just realised there that Josh played a load of the backing instruments on "The Will to Death". Must dig it out and listen to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

karaokeman wrote: »
    Only thing lacking was Otherside. Had they played that song I'd give the gig 10/10.

No I didn't really see them as going through the motions. All bands more or less play the same show every night of the tour. Anthony as previously pointed out was sick so that would probably explain the boredom comment.

Dedon : Josh, if you think he can't play any of the difficult parts of a song I would like to see you do better. He's the one who makes money from this s*** after all

josh actually ecelled last night , musically he was perfect and beyond.
    My point is he a professional;, if he cannot play difficult songs he should not be there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

John's solo music is unreal at times. It's a shame really that he's so good at the guitar because he's a much better singer than Kiedis and he would do a better job on the mic imo as blasphemous and all as that sounds :pac:

As much as I idolize Keidis even I admit he can't sing. But I feel thats more to do with the fact the Chilis are more an instrumental band. I don't think they would have been as successful as they are if John was made the vocalist. They would be a lot more bland if that was the case and their live performances would not be as electrifying and energetic.
    Arthurdaly wrote: »
    josh actually ecelled last night , musically he was perfect and beyond.
    My point is he a professional;, if he cannot play difficult songs he should not be there!!

That was exactly my point too, Josh is paid to do what he does and would he be in the RHCP if he wasn't good at it?

karaokeman wrote: »
    As much as I idolize Keidis even I admit he can't sing. But I feel thats more to do with the fact the Chilis are more an instrumental band. I don't think they would have been as successful as they are if John was made the vocalist. They would be a lot more bland if that was the case and their live performances would not be as electrifying and energetic.

Oh yea I completely agree. I was thinking more along the lines of when making al album you'd notice the difference in a good way between the two of them.

To be fair to Kiedis though he's stepped up his game an awful lot since the start of his career. He started off trying to imitate the rap group Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and their early stuff sounds very rap orientated. The difference between their early stuff and songs like Californication and Otherside is massive and it shows how much he has progressed as a singer.

• Advertisement

Oh and before anyone steals my own post from YLYL here's a picture I found of Chad, Flea and their long lost twins :pac:.

385366_143530185746817_100002695094701_154315_1063948121_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Anyone know what AK said at the very end of the gig as he was pointing at the crowd in the very front on his left? Thats where I was but all night I thought his mic was very low :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

Was a very good show, but not a great one. Anthony was good, could have been better, but still good enough. You wouldn't really be able to tell that he's sick if he didn't tell use.

Chad and Flea were pretty much as good as i've ever seen them, i don't think anyone has anything but praise for their performances the jams before almost every song were great! Who was that drummer who joined Chad for that solohe did? he was pretty awesome too. Josh was very very good. I'm a pretty hardcore Froosh fan, imo he's that rare genius, like Jimi Hendrix that comes along not even once a generation. Josh is an excellent guitarist (who said he couldn't play the hard bits? bull ****, he's a professional guitarist whos been playing all his life in a band with one of the top drummers and bassists in the world, so if Josh is in the band, you know he's capable of shredding just like John was. It's just not his style)

Now I do have an issue with Josh, and thats his solos. He obviously didn't play Johns, and probably plays a new solo every night, but most of his solos just didn't do anything for me. I either couldn't hear them very well, or he was just playing the one note, adding loads of vibrato, then playing another note before going back to the first note again. They don't really build up or go anywhere. And he doesn't have that almost vocal quality to Johns wailing guitar. That said, his solos on Scar tissue and Can't Stop were very good, so he's obviously capable of doing good solos. That it might be a stylistic choice is a little more worrying.

Set list was very good, really cool to hear Emit Remmus, Me and My Friends, and especially Around the World which was definitely the highlight for me.

Fools Gold were very good, but I don't think an opening act for a rovckshow really suits them. You can't really jump around to their laidback reggae/middle eastern sounding music, and you couldn't really sing along. It was a little awkward as an opener, but they played fantastic, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them, might buy their cd, would be great at parties!

Overall good show, miss Frusciente for sure, but they're still great, looking forward to Croke Park.

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what was wrong with AK didnt hear he was sick? maybe i was at the jacks when he said it.

zweton wrote: »
    what was wrong with AK didnt hear he was sick? maybe i was at the jacks when he said it.

He just said he had a throat infection or something that he got from his kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I loved it lads!

I was at the front for the first few songs but had to get out after as it got too much for me!

Flea stole the show for me! The energy on him is ridiculous, whether that be substances, sheer craziness or a bit of both!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Keno 92 wrote: »

Flea stole the shoe for me!

Hope ya got it back :p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hope ya got it back :p:p:p:p:p:p

Haha. God damn non-proof reading me.

Is there any good quality vids of Emmit Remus from the gig floating around? I think Im the only person I know who loves that song, seems to be the same everywhere :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 raawwrr

Anyone know what AK said at the very end of the gig as he was pointing at the crowd in the very front on his left? Thats where I was but all night I thought his mic was very low :pac:
    i think it could have been something about boys being gents for letting their girlfriends sit on their shoulders? i was on my friends shoulders, so everyone around assumed it was aimed at me, but im not sure ? this wasnt at the end though? if you find out tell me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leah1986

raawwrr wrote: »
    i think it could have been something about boys being gents for letting their girlfriends sit on their shoulders? i was on my friends shoulders, so everyone around assumed it was aimed at me, but im not sure ? this wasnt at the end though? if you find out tell me!

Did anyone who didn't have original card have problems gaining access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

raawwrr wrote: »

I thought it was Flea that said that about girlfriends on shoulders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

threein99 wrote: »
    I thought it was Flea that said that about girlfriends on shoulders

Yeah it was flea that said it. He said about the girlfriends on the shoulders and then a cheer for the boys holding them up.

For those interested, John Meagher from the Independent gave a very positive review of the gig which can be found here.
    REM have called it a day. U2 have talked about quitting next year. But 28 years after first getting together, the Red Hot Chili Peppers juggernaut rumbles on relentlessly.

Unlike most of their similarly sized peers, RHCP haven't had to rely on their old hits to keep the wagon wheels turning. Some of their best-loved songs are quite new and tonight, material from 'I'm With You' -- their latest album -- fits in well with the more venerable anthems.

Founder members Anthony Kiedis and Michael 'Flea' Balzary will both be 50 next year and long-term drummer, Chad Smith, has already reached this milestone age, but with their super-energetic performances and ripped bodies, they are halting the ravages of time remarkably well.

At one point, when Kiedis takes to the stage walking on his hands, you would be forgiven for wondering if you had happened upon a circus rather than a rock show.

But this is a rock show, and for the best part of two hours the California-based outfit demonstrate why they're among the best in the business. The aforementioned trio are an exceptionally tight unit, musically, and in newcomer Josh Klinghoffer, they have a virtuoso guitarist in the same vein as former member John Frusciante.

Sensibly, the band sprinkle the new material among the established songs and deliver the big guns from the off. Crowd favourite 'Dani California' is the second song played, and it's followed by one huge funk-inflected rocker after another. 'Throw Away Your Television' is particularly potent and 'Can't Stop' finds Kiedis in impressive form vocally.

Memorable

It is to their credit that the band mix the tempo and moods successfully. There's a gentle version of 'Scar Tissue', as well as a sparse take on 'Under the Bridge'. The early part of these songs features Kiedis and Klinghoffer performing together. It's a compelling minute or two, and the 14,000 present remain reverentially silent.

Unfortunately, RHCP have an annoying tendency to jam self-indulgently and tonight is no different. And there are several moments where the noodling guitar and bass lines sound like the band are rehearsing in an empty room.

For the most part, though, this is a band very much in tune with their fans and Flea, as he has frequently done at Irish concerts, delights the crowd with a short blast of 'Amhran na bhFiann'. This cynic wonders if he has memorised the opening line of other national anthems, too? Expect to hear "Sinne Fianna Fail" sung in an American accent when the band play Croke Park on June 26.

I'd forgotten that Chad was 50. Amazing to think as well that when Flea and Anthony finish the tour they'll have gone past 50 by a few months. They'd give some younger bands a run for their money in the energy stakes that's for sure.

I liked what he said about the performance of Under the Bridge. It was cool the way it was just Anthony and Josh onstage and then Chad and Flea came back onto it after the first verse was played. Added to what's already an unbelievable song.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Chili Peppers website has just been updated and they have added a band blog. Flea wrote a little bit about the gig in the O2, posted the morning after. I wonder will we get a tin whistle solo at Croke Park :)
    Flea wrote:
    Last night was such a fun show in Dublin. Truly, Ireland has been an amazing place for us to pay through the years. There is something about the soul of the place that really touches me. An intangible thing, can't describe it, but it blows me away....

I purchased a tin whistle the other day in Dublin. I like to sit in my room and play it and try to eek out some melancholy tunes. Gets me in touch with my Irish heritage........

Well, I;m gonna go hit the steets of Dublin a little bit and see what I can find.

Full blog here: http://redhotchilipeppers.com/we-are-with-you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 paddy7654321

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mouchie

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what time the concert will end at? Just trying to plan return journey for work next day!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

mouchie wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know what time the concert will end at? Just trying to plan return journey for work next day!

Thank you!

Think you got the wrong thread mate, this gig was months ago.

Try the thread for the upcoming gig -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056434415&page=21

• Advertisement
Advertisement