Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooking up an external hard drive

Options
  • 22-07-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I've a Seagate 1 TB hard drive. I formatted it to FAT32 and hooked it up but my xbox360 does not detect it. It works fine with my laptop. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Hi guys I've a Seagate 1 TB hard drive. I formatted it to FAT32 and hooked it up but my xbox360 does not detect it. It works fine with my laptop. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Is it USB powered? could be a power issue, maybe the hard drive isnt getting enough power from the 360's usb port. Happened with a 500gb external on my ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

iMuse wrote: »
    Is it USB powered? could be a power issue, maybe the hard drive isnt getting enough power from the 360's usb port. Happened with a 500gb external on my ps3

No it's got a power cord, it's this one; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Expansions-External-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00238KZPM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311513988&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Hey,

I have the exact same hard drive as the one you have, I got it just over a year ago and I reformatted it too and it worked fine for me I'm not too sure why it might not be working for you. Because I did it so long ago i can't remember exactly what I did to get it working but I'm pretty sure it worked straight after I reformatted it. Sorry i don't have any usefull info for whats wrong with yours.

I'll try reformatting again, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If it isn't a generic drive and requires the installation of custom drivers/software then it won't work (e.g. some WD Passport drives in the past required WD drivers).

• Advertisement

If it isn't a generic drive and requires the installation of custom drivers/software then it won't work (e.g. some WD Passport drives in the past required WD drivers).

It had a Seagate folder pre-installed but after formatting and wiping these off it still works fine with the laptop----just no detection with the xbox360. Frustrating.

Is it true it has to have 32GB partitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

weird......hmmm..... I just formatted with swissknife to Fat32 and it worked. http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

Is it all one big HD or are u partitioning it? mine is just one big external HD...

I set it to primary drive and it worked fine (was set as logical drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

hooray!

Advertisement