Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threats to cut off water !

• 22-07-2011 9:35pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hello everyone,

I bought a house and the sale was finalized August 2010. The house needed work however so I was there on an off alone working at it for A few months. I finally moved in with my family in March 2011.
    2 days ago 2 men appeared at my house demanding money. They were quite aggressive. The told me they were from the group water scheme and arrears were owed. I said sorry but I just moved here. They asked me who the previous owner was. The question struck me as odd, as if they were from the group water scheme they should have known exactly who the previous owner was. They would have given them
    bills, receipts etc !! I said I didn’t know, which I didn’t. They didn’t believe me an said straight away they would cut off my water !! I stalled them, explained that when u buy a house u go through an auctioneer and a solicitor and I had no interest who the previous owner was. All I know is it was a couple. Anyway if they didn’t know any neighbour could have told them. Actually the house had been vacant for 4 years. I asking what was the meaning of all this but they just ran off saying they were going to cut off my water.
    I have rarely met such arrogant and rude people. Who in the hell do these people think the are. There was never a shred of any kind of paperwork sent to me in the year I have owned it. The 2 men offered me neither their names nor identification. Nor did they have any paperwork at all.
    I went down to the local garda to report them but as usual it was unmanned.
    I though during the night I heard something and in the morning in the letterbox, lo and behold, there was a bill for 1400 euro.
    I talked with a few neighbours who all hated these men .Apparently these charges were for an “upgrade” which was a hugh concrete tank built for water. They said the same thing, that without warning they do what they want to upgrade or maintain the local system and the first the people know about it is when they appear looking for money! Some locals were paying a little a week, some more. A pregnant lady had them calling round very demanding at 10 pm one night. A lot had paid over 1000 euro 2 years previously when it was first asked of them. I didn’t even own the house at the time. There were some older people who did have their water cut off, and had to haul from rivers and boil it!
    I cannot believe it. Where do I stand?
    There is another twist. In February of this year as I was still working on the house, many trucks came one day with a precast hugh tank and erected it within 2 weeks. In the field Right behind my house. From every back window its all I can see!! And now they want me to pay for it too! It has seriously devalued the house.
    I know nothing about group water schemes or how they work but this cannot be normal?

Thanks a lot

Eamon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Contact your local council to see if it has planning permission for the tank behind your house.

Also you have no contract with these men and are definately dont have to pay for upgrades carried out before you moved in. Tell them where they can shove there bill. Would it be possible to drill for your own water

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks wobbles,

I suppose the question is can they really cut off the water? Are they entitled to do so, legally? I have 3 small children and am recently unemployed, so sinking my bown well at the mo is not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Eamon,
    contact the solicitor who handled the purchase for you in 2010, he would have/ should have insured any utility type bills were discharged from the sale proceeds.
    You are not liable for any charges before you purchased the home.

The solicitor I am sure will deal with the threat to cut off your water.

You will be liable for charges since you bought the house.

Thanks Martin,

Legally, can any service provider cut off a service without written warning?

Thanks

just had a chat with the solicitor who checked the file. He did indeed raise the issue of council or group water scheme at my house. He was told in writing the water was galway co co mains water an no group scheme!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Get some Business Cards from your Solicitor, and the next time they call, tell them to contact Solr.

Give him all the info. including the bill you got, and ask him to sort it out.

Someone made a mistake when you bought the house, so leave it all with the Solr.

Advertisement