Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Castle Park

Options
  • 22-07-2011 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, what time does Kilkenny Castle Park open/close at or is it always open? Recently moved into town and looking for a nice running route, have been told it's nice in there? Would the Nore Walk be any good either? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Don't really know the opening hours but it's pretty much daylight hours. Nore walk would be worth it, it's nice. Welcome to Kilkenny City.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Don't really know the opening hours but it's pretty much daylight hours. Nore walk would be worth it, it's nice. Welcome to Kilkenny City.

Cheers man :) Would you happen to know if the Castle would be open at say 6am by any chance? Much prefer running in the morning before work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Pretty sure that it's 8-8, reducing to daylight hours as the nights draw in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If it's tomorrow the gardens will be closed until into the afternoon due to the traithlon. Found out there, 8.30am - 8.30pm.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Castle is a grand running spot used to do it myself if you avoid 12-4pm there should be alot less people around too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

The pitches at Kieran's College are nice for an early morning run but you would need to go pre 8.30am,if security is around they will ask you to leave.For some reason they don't mind people bringing their dogs in for a crap but the President of the school takes issue with people using it to jog. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Run down along the river. It's nice down that way.

Start at John's bridge and go down along the wall by the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Opening times on the Park vary according to the time of the year. For example at the moment it's "supposed" to open at 8.30am. I say supposed, as it's often 8.45am (sometimes close to 9) when the minor gates are open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I used to run in James park out near the hospital, it's big so if there's something going on there's no bother. Gates usually open late in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

as the title says the opening times for the castle park are at the main gates. The ringroad is open 24/7 365 too ;)

castleparkopeningtimes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

A nice alternative may be the Nore Linear Park (from Green's bridge and heading away from town alongside the river). It's a smooth surface and plenty use it for walking/running/cycling. It was beautiful this evening...

Thanks for the suggestions all, appreciate it.

Licksy, where is the linear park/ greens bridge? Not overly familiar with place names here I have to stay. I'm up around MacDonagh, anywhere near there?

At McDonagh, when you walk down John's street toward the town centre, you cross John's bridge (near the castle). There's a lovely walk along the river from here on the castle-side riverbank, out to the ring road (and beyond?).
    Up stream from John's bridge is Green's bridge and the linear park is up-stream from Green's bridge, which isn't too far from McDonagh via Wolfe Tone St...
    The walk between John's bridge and Green's bridge is on the 'other' riverbank and is up beside the library, the peace park etc and is lovely too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomaspom47kk/5441914651/in/photostream/ shows a pic...
    http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/7633 has an article on its opening...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

best place to run around town IMo is the trail kilkenny starting at the Lacken walk on the dublin road. 6miles to Bennetsbridge great mix of surfaces and some goregeaous riverside scenery especially at this time of year - if you have problems hopping over the occasional stile maybe stick with the ring road.
    There are a lot of riverside walks/runs around - the Linear one as mentioned is good too and if you continue on at the weir throught the gate it has a nice mile or two off the path through forest, fields etc The discovery park in comer is nice too but a bit out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Sorry now but I still can't figure out where the linear walk is! Heading home to Kilkenny for the weekend and this sounds like a lovely place to go for a run. Anyone care to enlighten me as to how I access it? Maybe on Google Maps?

Into Riverside Drive (off the freshford road, junction at the bend near Troy's Gate House) if you're driving... I'm not sure if you can access it from the old stub of Green's Street (opposite where Dominos Pizza is)...
    Certainly if you look up google maps for Riverside Drive Kilkenny then you'll see the river and the path is along side the river up as far as the back of Talbot's Inch as far as the weir (The Weir View estate across the Bleach Road is at the opposite side of the river).
    There are two parallel pathways about a metre apart for a lot of the route (with street lighting until 10:30 when required I think), then it converges into one path (unlit) which ends at the weir... that's ~2km. I haven't gone further but Rantan above says you can go cross country if you venture further that the gate...

Thanks a mill. Found it on Google Maps thanks to your instructions. I was expecting it to start at Greens Bridge which had me all confused. Looking forward to heading down there for a run over the weekend now!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Must try some of these runs, turns out I'm going to end up in Kilkenny for about an hour each week now which I need to kill. Ideal time to get some miles in.

I've previously tried to the outer ring road as part of a 10km "loop" but didn't find it great, Linear walk sounded ok as something different but abit disappointed its only a 2km route.

ergonomics, how did you get on with the route you were going to try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

1. Follow the perimeter of the castle walls. Leave from in front of the Castle and head downhill to the traffic lights. Turn right down Rose Inn St. Turn right onto Canal Square and follow the river. At the end of the Castle Walls turn right and head up to take Castle/Bennettsbridge Road, and take a right to return to the Castle.

2. Leave the castle and head to the lights. Continue up High St, Parliament St, Irishtown and turn left on Dean St. Turn left at the Waterbarrack and left again onto Blackmill st. Up the hill continue past St Mary's Cathedral. Up Parnell St, New St, turn left onto Jacob St. Take a right and then left onto Fr Hayden Road and at the top take a left onto the Parade and return to the Castle.

Cabaal I didn't actually get near any of the routes I wanted to do although I did get a couple of riveting runs along the ringroad done. Back in Kilkenny next week so I'm definitely going to be checking out the Linear Walk.

• Advertisement

As emperor, I will build a funky pedestrian/cylce link from John's quay to the canal walk so that you can walk beside and over the river without bothering with traffic.
    Then I'll do the same from the peace park at green's bridge to the linear park.
    At the other end of the linear park I'll join it up to the non-existant ring-road extension and do something similar at the Bennettsbridge road end of the ring road.

This would give you an unencumbered 5km waterside route and allow people to add it to their semi-loop around the city on the ring if they wish for something more interesting than traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

So, your manifesto consists entriely of building bridges? I mean decent proper REAL bridges, not the stupid metaphorical ones Mary McAleese goes on about?

I take it you are a fellow bridge enthusiast. Have you considered subscribing to Bridge Monthly?

It's an exciting new publication on the subject of bridges featuring bridge quizes, 'bridge of the month' and a super cool bridge centrefold that you can hang up in your bedroom.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bridge-Monthly/181913385183451

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So just back from town, had just over an hour to kill so did the ring road and did the Linear Walk, wasn't bad though a few walkers with dogs on long leads.

Might make it part of new route as it'll allow me to easily hit the 10mile mark on a nice run

noreloop.jpg

I got in the kilkenny - Bennetsbridge (trail by the river) run on Sunday. 12m round trip. Best run in town(IMO) if you can tolerate a few stiles/footbridges and the like - makes a great change from the ring road! Stunning scenery and running on trails makes a good addition to a training plan....

Rantan wrote: »
    I got in the kilkenny - Bennetsbridge (trail by the river) run on Sunday. 12m round trip. Best run in town(IMO) if you can tolerate a few stiles/footbridges and the like - makes a great change from the ring road! Stunning scenery and running on trails makes a good addition to a training plan....

I've been meaning to do it for awhile now, still not sure where the entrance to the trail is. Anyone care to show me on streetview or something?

not sure if I've done this right but here is a link to streetview pic of where I start from near the viewing area on Dublin Road over the weir at the top of Maudlin St- down the steps on left of pic wherre the black and yellow bollards are and then down the narrow alley for a bit - come out on the conc path by the river for about 1/3mile them through the kissing gate - onto trail, under the bridge and through wood - by the bank for anothe 1/3mile turn left up a steep hill, up the steps(railway sleepers) at the concrete outfall chamber on your right - up the lane between houses onto Sion road - right at gate onto Sion road for about .8m - pass treatment plant through s bend over stream and then finger post and stile into field right - through field as far as river and follow river all the way to B'bridge.
    Hope this helps - let mem know if the link works

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=52.651989,-7.239513&spn=0.001303,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.651989,-7.239513&panoid=LNnU3OIRlwT5GyA4VZ1R6w&cbp=12,264.04,,0,18.71

Rantan wrote: »

Thanks Rantan, link works great.
    Now I know exactly where I need to be, for whatever reason I thought it was further towards the old Dublin road.

How well sign posted is the trail?

there are several finger posts and little marker posts along the way - shouldn't be a problem, they are pretty new and have not been vandalised or destroyed......yet. Here is the gate that takes you off the Sion road and back on the trail, you have already travelled the .8m on the road once you meet this gate. It has been improved since google took these shots - there is now a good sign at this gate and a green stile

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=52.641169,-7.208523&spn=0.001304,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.641215,-7.20866&panoid=t73zfv9xe8gskRrNeeluYg&cbp=12,230.54,,0,11.7

also here is a link to a map on Trail Kilkenny's website that shows this trail.

http://www.irishtrails.ie/maps/NW%20-%20Map%201%20Kilkenny%20to%20Bennettsbridge.pdf

hope you enjoy it..

Hi rantan, would I be right in saying this trail is closed for 3 months? :(

If so, any other recommendations?

• Advertisement

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Hi rantan, would I be right in saying this trail is closed for 3 months? :(

If so, any other recommendations?

Hey, its only a small section between the end of the Lacken walk and the ossory bridge that is closed. THe rest of the trail is business as usual. I dont see why the council are spednignmoney concreteing a perfectly good trail and erecting a pointless fence. Any one have any insode info?? Seems like a waste of money, if they want to encourage tourists/walker sto use the trail, covering a perfectly good trail in concrete isn;t the answer.
    by the way the trail isn;t exactly "closed" either - if you want to pass you will - at your own risk obviously as it is a closed site.............

Advertisement