Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Castle Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ah I didn't know that, so where could I get back onto the trail then? Usually I would go down the lacken steps and turn left but that's where it has closed. Is it much further up the Dublin road where I can re-enter the trail?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There used to be a way down at the bridge on the city side, I couldn't tell you if it's still clear or not though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Ah I didn't know that, so where could I get back onto the trail then? Usually I would go down the lacken steps and turn left but that's where it has closed. Is it much further up the Dublin road where I can re-enter the trail?

aahhh...I didn;t realise they had closed it at the steps,,,last time I was down, the Lacken walk was open down to the kissing gate/stile. You can get onto to it through Canices if you go down the lane by the P&P course. You need to hop a wall though so you are prob better going down by the bridge. you can get down either side of it(L or R) not sure iof the path on the canices side of the bridge is still passable though? I went down that a few months ago.

Tom_Brady wrote: »

hey Tom B, was just passing the steps on the way home tonight, the steps are open - they just have a sign up saying its closed - you can still go down if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rantan wrote: »
    hey Tom B, was just passing the steps on the way home tonight, the steps are open - they just have a sign up saying its closed - you can still go down if you want

The steps are open alright, but when you get down to the bottom you can't turn left - it's closed directly at the bottom and you can only turn right. At least that's how it was last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Went for a quick run this morning around the castle and Nore walk and decided to see what the bennetsbridge walk was like. Headed over and could run down perhaps 400-500metres but then I met fencing.

walk.jpg

Behind the fencing is a brand new raised wooden path/bridge which is about another 400metres long and goes down as far as the bridge, given we are hitting into the winter and the fence looked pretty permanent I'd say its going to be closed off until next year :(

Awful same as the new raised walkway looks great and in places is over the river.

Cam Newton wrote: »
    The steps are open alright, but when you get down to the bottom you can't turn left - it's closed directly at the bottom and you can only turn right. At least that's how it was last week.

hi, last time I went down the steps and the lane was open, its been a while, I'll be passing again tonight and will check, anyway as Cabball said the fence further down is still up, last time i was there you could hop it, but that was early in the works, might be differrent now. Also...just to be sure...when you go down the steps do you go all the way down to the bottom and look left or check the narrow alley half way down that turns left? there is a green gate there that is normally open, maybe they have locked that now....yeah the walkway looks great, have to take back my commecnt earlier where I said a concrete path would ruin it, well done to the council and trails kilkenny, looking forward to getting a run on it, hope the floods dont take it though?? I'm sure the designers took that into account...........

Cam Newton wrote: »

I checked last night in the pitch dark and nearly f***in' killed myself - the walk is open from the steps - I dont know what you are doing!! are you looking in the right place?

great day for a run on the trail yesterday - made it all the way to b'bridge - its a little sticky in places and a bit awkward getting through the fence at the stile at the end of the Lacken walk but there is a way.... if you are determined.....the new board walk is great - fair play to the Co co. loads of people out on the trail, great to see it in use

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Trail Kilkenny

Hi All
    I've just stumbled on this tread and wanted to update interested parties on a few things:
    - Boardwalk from end of the Lacken Walk to Ossary bridge
    This is nearly complete and will have a usable width of 1.2 metres and is raised above the ground so should be usable it the Nore floods
    - Link from Lacken Walk to Ring Road
    The current dirt track from the end of the boardwalk to the ring road will be replaced by a ramped boardwalk. This will enable walkers to walk along the Lacken walk, along the boardwalk, up the ramped boardwalk to the ring road. They can then travel along the Ring road to the Bennettsbridge roundabout down by the Black Quarry and onto the Canal walk. The plan is to have looped walk around the city.
    Signposing
    - once the Lacken Walk is complete signage for the Linear Park and the Nore Valley Walk is planned along the route. This will include mapboards at access points i.e Maudlin Street, Ring Road etc
    The Nore Valley Walk officially starts under Ossary Bridge and stage one continues to Bennettsbridge. If anyone has any specific questions re: the Nore Valley Walk please e-mail me at trails@trailkilkenny.ie
    Regards
    Trail Kilkenny

• Advertisement

Hi All
    I've just stumbled on this tread and wanted to update interested parties on a few things:
    - Boardwalk from end of the Lacken Walk to Ossary bridge
    This is nearly complete and will have a usable width of 1.2 metres and is raised above the ground so should be usable it the Nore floods
    - Link from Lacken Walk to Ring Road
    The current dirt track from the end of the boardwalk to the ring road will be replaced by a ramped boardwalk. This will enable walkers to walk along the Lacken walk, along the boardwalk, up the ramped boardwalk to the ring road. They can then travel along the Ring road to the Bennettsbridge roundabout down by the Black Quarry and onto the Canal walk. The plan is to have looped walk around the city.
    Signposing
    - once the Lacken Walk is complete signage for the Linear Park and the Nore Valley Walk is planned along the route. This will include mapboards at access points i.e Maudlin Street, Ring Road etc
    The Nore Valley Walk officially starts under Ossary Bridge and stage one continues to Bennettsbridge. If anyone has any specific questions re: the Nore Valley Walk please e-mail me at trails@trailkilkenny.ie
    Regards
    Trail Kilkenny

hi, any update on section two of the Nore walk(B'bridge - T'town)? is there any work or prgress ongoing? Also congrats on the improved lacken walk - its a super addition to the trail and kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What time does the castle park open at?
    I tried looking up the times but could only get the times for the actual castle

If you go back through the thread you ll find a post with a pic of the opening times. Think its aroound page 2 or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Parkland Opening Hours:

January and December:

9.00 to 16.00
    February and November:

9.00 to 16.30
    March and October:

9.00 to 17.30
    April and September:

8.30 to 19.00
    May, June, July and August:

8.30 to 20.30
    Please note that the locking of the Park will begin 30 minutes before the scheduled closing time, with the last gate located at the Courtyard area.

Advertisement