Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Purple - Phoenix Rising

Options
  • 22-07-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Anybody get this yet? I got it a few weeks ago and if you are a DP fan you'll love this (even if you don't like MK III or IV). The copy I got has a DVD and CD (see below). Jon Lord and Glenn Hughes are the only 2 members interviewed but there is some great footage. I'm a huge Purple fan but I have to admit I knew nothing of the whole Indonesia story, must have been horrific.
    Such a shame Tommy Bolin died so young, great singer and guitarist. Both Hughes and himself were on a totally destructive path, not a nice time for the other 3 guys.

Rises Over Japan: 30 minute-long live footage filmed in 16mm in Japan, restored in HD. Never before released, not even on bootlegs. Originally planned to be included in a Deep Purple film the short movie was never released after Tommy Bolin's death. If it wasn't known the show is from 1976, the stunning video quality would make the viewer believe this is a production filmed with the most modern HD cameras.

Getting Tighter: The full length 90 minute documentary of the story behind Deep Purple after Ian Gillan and Roger Glover's departures. Jon Lord and Glenn Hughes tell the story of the "post Gillan" years, through never before seen live images, backstage footage, never before told stories and original video material collected through years of hard work. A real dream come true for all Deep Purple fans. New inside stories and the truths about the dark sides of Deep Purple with the rise and fall of their seventies years will really grab fans.

CD: The original soundtrack and more. The best of Deep Purple MKIV (Bolin-Lord-Paice-Coverdale-Hughes) from the "Rises Over Japan" concert and more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd forgotten about the Indonesia shows

http://www.tbolin.com/articles/rollingstone_012976.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Thanks Mike. The article is at odds with what Lord and Hughes say in the documentary, however at the end it does say at the end that the views expressed are not endorsed by David Coverdale which I thought was odd when I first saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Is this a new version? Only one I can find is the CD import, any links? Would love to see the doc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

efla wrote: »
    Is this a new version? Only one I can find is the CD import, any links? Would love to see the doc

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/19476819/Deep-Purple-Phoenix-Rising/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=phoenix+rising&urlrefer=search

Great price as well.

I always wondered how Coverdale and Hughes got on especially as they were rivals for the singing role but they were best of friends and always planned who took what singing role etc. Tommy Bolin is a great singer / guitarist and I think Come Taste the Band is a very good album but you got to wonder would it have been better for both parties if they never got together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Roanmore wrote: »
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/19476819/Deep-Purple-Phoenix-Rising/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=phoenix+rising&urlrefer=search

Great price as well.

I always wondered how Coverdale and Hughes got on especially as they were rivals for the singing role but they were best of friends and always planned who took what singing role etc. Tommy Bolin is a great singer / guitarist and I think Come Taste the Band is a very good album but you got to wonder would it have been better for both parties if they never got together.

Seems to be relatively undocumented alright. There is some mention of it in this, which was horribly written if I remember.

I still haven't heard the 2010 remaster - never ventured much beyond post-mk II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Come Taste The Band was Purples best album since Machine Head, it's a superb album, if anyone hasn't heard it check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's years old I know and probably been repeated hundreds of times but I only saw the Machine head classic albums show on Sky Arts last night. Pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It's years old I know and probably been repeated hundreds of times but I only saw the Machine head classic albums show on Sky Arts last night. Pretty good.

It's not that old but watched it again and enjoyed it.

Advertisement