Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor wireless signal

Options
  • 22-07-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

whats the best way to strenghten/improve a wireless signal in a house. i am with wimax and have tried moving the modem to several different spots in the house but i always end up with a poor signal some where in the house. i cant find a spot that keeps agood signal in the three rooms i actually use the laptop in. always misses one of them

whats the best option on improving signal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you have a few options.

one is to get bigger antenna(s) for your model of modem/router, assuming the ones on it are removable, which will help matters somewhat.

also, wireless N devices will generally transmit and receive at further distances than wireless G devices, so changing your wireless router to an N standard one and also your laptop's wireless card to an N one will also generally improve matters.

another option would be a wireless repeater positioned at an intermediate point in your house somewhere. imagine you want to get your wireless signal from room A to room C, but your wireless only reaches to room B. you put your wireless repeater device in room B and it then picks up the signal from room A and transmits the signal from it to your laptop in room C and visa versa.

you could also use a homeplug wireless repeater which is similar to a regular wireless repeater, but you plug one device into a spare plug socket at room A and conect it via a network cable to your modem/router and then you plug a second device into a plug socket in room C and it will receive a signal from the 1st device directly via the power cables themselves and then re-transmit the signal wirelessly into room C for you to connect to as normal.

i might have some other ideas if i think about it, but i'm actually working, so i should get back to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 szines

I have fixed my Wimax Motorola Wireless router on the corner of a window where it gets the best signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

my signal is only on 1 bar through out my house.. i only have 2 days. should i cancel my package and get a refund?

Any help would be greatly appriciated... Or can anyone recommend a provider where you dont need a phone line and is suitable for an xbox connection..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Antoh

eimear10 wrote: »
    my signal is only on 1 bar through out my house.. i only have 2 days. should i cancel my package and get a refund?

Any help would be greatly appriciated... Or can anyone recommend a provider where you dont need a phone line and is suitable for an xbox connection..

Thanks

call customer care and request an outdoor hub. assuming you have an indoor. i got swapped over to the outdoor nearly a year ago and have never had a problem with my connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

I have the same problem with wimax, only one bar signal strength up stairs, will this device do the trick or could someone recommend a better device..
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you could try boosting your wireless signal with one of these: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wi-Fi-Booster-Using-Only-a-Beer-Can

:)

Invest in a stronger antenna.
    You can pick em up for a few bucks on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

can this work???

if i take an ethernet cable from my wimax router and plug it into my phone socket(my internet is digital from a box outside) and use a second router(i've access to this for free if it will work)up stairs and plug in into another phone socket.. Will the new router work?????????????

Advertisement