Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM went out of service as it was dispensing my cash, help!!

Options
  • 22-07-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

So, i went to the local shop today to withdraw cash from the atm, one of those standalone machines, and the machine went out of service while it was dispensing my cash, but the money never came out and i couldnt try another transaction!!

I tried twice, first time the atm screen said "due to a fault we cannot process the transaction", so i tried again because i was frustrated. Second time the screen said it was out of service in the middle of trying to process!:mad:

Now my problem is i checked my online account and my balance is minus those two transactions, but i received no money:(:(

What will i do, someone please help me:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You contact your bank as soon as possible. The internal log of the machine and what money it had available to dispense at the time of the transactions should corroborate your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

Thank you, i will do both first thing. My bank is ulster bank but they open saturdays.

What are the chances ill get my money back? Its 200 euro we are taking about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Saoirsef wrote: »
    Thank you, i will do both first thing. My bank is ulster bank but they open saturdays.

If your story is true, and can be proven (i.e. by the logs) then it's a sure thing you'll get your money back. Report it to your local branch tomorrow then, let them do the investigating. It may take a few days for them to call the shop, to get the ATM company out to investigate the transactions etc so don't bank on a very timely turnaround :)

Don't bank on it :) funny, that cheered me up a bit....but my money back would make me grin.

Thanks i guess i will just contact them tomorrow and go from there, seriously am in shock that this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

don't worry at all. . Seriously. . It's happened to me plenty of times. It takes out the money but then the same amount is replaced the same day from either the company who runs the stand alone atm or the bank perhaps. . . . It happened to me during the week; i rang banking 365 some day after it happened and it announced that i had taken out 50 but immediately afterwards it said '' cash adjustment'' or ''balance adjustment'' of 50. . .so it was temporarily recorded as being withdrawn but you will get it back. . . . .enjoy your night and stop frettin' !

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TBH it seems to happen a lot with those little standalone machines, I'd usually avoid them if possible. When you contact your bank they'll investigate the transaction, it's usually about a 2 week turnaround though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

This happened to my Mam before, the money was taken out of her account and then it was put back almost immediately because she rang the bank and they said it had been taken out and put back in.

Feeded wrote: »
    don't worry at all. . Seriously. . It's happened to me plenty of times. It takes out the money but then the same amount is replaced the same day from either the company who runs the stand alone atm or the bank perhaps. . . . It happened to me during the week; i rang banking 365 some day after it happened and it announced that i had taken out 50 but immediately afterwards it said '' cash adjustment'' or ''balance adjustment'' of 50. . .so it was temporarily recorded as being withdrawn but you will get it back. . . . .enjoy your night and stop frettin' !

I hope that happens

Toots* wrote: »
    TBH it seems to happen a lot with those little standalone machines, I'd usually avoid them if possible. When you contact your bank they'll investigate the transaction, it's usually about a 2 week turnaround though. :(

My bank is ulster and the atm in question wasn't, will that make things more awkward for me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've had this happen to me a few times, the ATM up the road being notorious for this :/
    Always went back in the next business day for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

It happened me recently, because it wasn't an AIB ATM that I had used that delayed the return of the cash to my account. Girl in the bank had me fill in a form and it was credited to my account about 5 days later. Don't sweat it OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tippboi

Thought the obvious solution would be 2 ring the bank??:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My bank is ulster and the atm in question wasn't, will that make things more awkward for me?

No, the queries are dealt with centrally, and the ATM control unit for Ulster Bank will liaise directly with the ATM control unit for whatever bank looks after the machine you used, it's the same process for you no matter what machine you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If the ATM does not automatically refund you, UB have ten working days to sort it for you.

The money was back in my online account this morning, thanks to everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

This happened to me before at an ATM in a petrol station. The shop owner saw me hitting the machine and just came over, opened it up and gave me the money, strange as I didn't think the shop had access to the machine but whatever, I got my cash...

Advertisement