Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New AMD build!!

Options
  • 22-07-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I have a choice between the
    MSI 870A-G54 or

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard

I have until tomorrow to chose, help!!

Which should I get? 1 vote

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
    0% 0 votes
    MSI 870A-G54
    0% 0 votes
    Neither, they both suck! *please inculde a link to a better mobo for under €90*
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'd get an AM3+ motherboard if possible. Something like this for example:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46915&agid=1232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 martins2309

I'm getting an AMD Phenom II X6 with this mobo so I wasn't really looking at upgrading my CPU for 3-4 of years and by then AM3+ will be the standard and cost less, I will consider this AM3+ board. Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'm getting an AMD Phenom II X6 with this mobo so I wasn't really looking at upgrading my CPU for 3-4 of years and by then AM3+ will be the standard and cost less, I will consider this AM3+ board. Thanks!

Any reason you're getting the Phenom II X6? Its a pretty bad choice in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 martins2309

I'm starting to do quite a lot of video encoding and editing, I got a deal of a friend who could sell it to me at the same price as a x4 965 I looked around the web and found that the x6 would perform slightly better in productivity tasks such as video encoding. Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't made the purchase yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it's strictly a choice between those two boards - both are fairly equal. The Asus has integrated graphics as well if that's any use to you. It also has firewire and eSATA, which would put it ahead.

However, MSI have said that they will support AM3+ processors with that board, while Asus have not included it.

http://www.msi.com/news-media/news/1224.html

http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you're doing a lot of video encoding, get a second gen i5 - or i3 in your case maybe - and use a program that support AVX. It'll be far faster than any hexa-core processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm starting to do quite a lot of video encoding and editing, I got a deal of a friend who could sell it to me at the same price as a x4 965 I looked around the web and found that the x6 would perform slightly better in productivity tasks such as video encoding. Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't made the purchase yet.

Don't waste your money.

Get an AM3+ moptherboard, and a cheap Athlon II x4 for now. Upgrade to Bulldozer when its out.

MUCH wiser way of doing it.

Advertisement