Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make push release clips

• 22-07-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Ok I don't actually know the name of what they are, if I did my google searching would probably be more productive!

Basically what they are is a piece of plastic or metal, coming perpendicular off a surface, with a very deliberate lip on it. To release what is being held, you simply push back this lip.

They're found everywhere, and are generally plastic. I came across loads when taking the case off my powermac G4. We've all seen them so hopefully someone can even get an image of them which may be a better description for someone who can help me make them.

Basically what I want to do is make them out if metal. They will be attached to a thin metal shelf in an old computer case to easily hold in chargers and the like. The lip of the clip would be just over the top of the charger, and the upright of the clip would prevent movement.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

By the sounds of it, it's cable clips you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

alexlyons wrote: »
    Ok I don't actually know the name of what they are, if I did my google searching would probably be more productive!

Basically what they are is a piece of plastic or metal, coming perpendicular off a surface, with a very deliberate lip on it. To release what is being held, you simply push back this lip.

They're found everywhere, and are generally plastic. I came across loads when taking the case off my powermac G4. We've all seen them so hopefully someone can even get an image of them which may be a better description for someone who can help me make them.

Basically what I want to do is make them out if metal. They will be attached to a thin metal shelf in an old computer case to easily hold in chargers and the like. The lip of the clip would be just over the top of the charger, and the upright of the clip would prevent movement.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks in advance

Child-proof kitchen cabinet catches work on that principle and are reasonably large in size. And cheap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Do you mean these sort of clips? They are tool clips. They would be easy enough to cut to size with a tin snips.:)

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

It's the child proof cabinet clips that are the most similar I think.

Any suggestions on how to fabricate them out of metal? I like idea of a project/challenge!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

How is it a challenge if you get all the info here?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Ah I've limited sheet metal to bend into what I want, if thats possible! and the challenge is making them work with the awful materials I have to do it! so suggestions and tips turn it from a pain in the ass to a challenge :)

alexlyons wrote: »
    Ah I've limited sheet metal to bend into what I want, if thats possible! and the challenge is making them work with the awful materials I have to do it! so suggestions and tips turn it from a pain in the ass to a challenge :)
    It's going to be a heck of a challenge if the metal is not spring steel.

Advertisement