Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurassic World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Looper007 wrote: »
    That's my problem with people saying "It's only a dumb ass blockbuster why take it so serious just sit back and watch dinosaurs eat people" but for me what made Jurassic Park special aside from the dinosaurs, was the brilliant characters cause the first 50 minutes of it is all about characters, you end up caring for Sam Neill and the kids plus Dern and Goldbulm. The other sequels have forgot that with bad cheesy writing and under written characters.

Jurassic World had a great lead in Chris Pratt a likeable guy and they still made me care less for the guy, I ended up wishing the dinosaurs eat the Howard character and her nephews. Horrible written. Yeah the Dinosaurs were great but Jurassic World missed out on heart.

To be honest annoying kids is something I just got used to with all the Jurassic films. Whenever I watch the original I get annoyed when the girl flashes the torch light at the T Rex. Now that made me want her to die. At least the lads in this one don't do really stupid things as bad as torch light moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah the two kids in this were nowhere near as annoying as the two brats in the original film.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Saw it today and it was garbage.
    Literary a rehash of the first one. Couldn't even pass it off as a reboot if they had wanted to.

In one word...pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Just in from it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some nice nods to the original with recreation of scenes etc, loved the subtle Jurassic Park piano theme. best of all, my nine year old watched it mostly from under her hoody pulled up to her nose & came out grinning from ear to ear wanting to rematch the originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

How did they get Rachel Weiss to agree to that role?)

Everything you ever say for the rest of your life will be null and void ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

DrFloppy wrote: »
    Everything you ever say for the rest of your life will be null and void ;)

No choice now but to force Katie McGrath to change her name to Rachel Weiss, then I shall be retroactively correct. ;)

Thinking on it the one thing I'm grateful for is they didn't
    say the Indominus had human genes spliced in. Between the level of intelligence/awareness it showed (the cage trap, the ambush) and the "it's killing them for sport" line I thought we might get that trope thrown in amidst the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Liked it overall but about 20 mins too long I thought. Better at least than Lost World/JP 3. Third tier Spielberg effort.

Chris Pratt looks like the right actor for the new Indiana Jones, all his movies now look like his audition for the big one !

Honestly as much as I like him, I'd rather he took over the role as the son with Ford handing over the reigns in the first one.

I'd much rather see him East as Jack T Colton against someone like Kate Winslet in the female role in a remake of "Romancing the stone" which could easily start a new franchise.

It'd give him the action, comedy & romance role without an unnecessary remake.

RTS was a huge commercial success ($110m against a budget of $10m), had a great story, likeable characters, accessible to a female audience, but is largely forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think that was the first female caharacter to die in a jurassic park movie so you can shove your gender roles up your ass.

So innocent woman is tortured and killed in the most painful and drawn out way from any of the 4 films, but that means gender roles have been eliminated? Hurray?

Even aside from the gender role aspect, that whole scene just disgusted me, and I enjoyed most of the rest of the film for what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jurassic Park 2 was beyond awful (remember Jeff Goldblum's black daughter doing gymnastics on some raptor) and 3 was only a little bit better. The first one is probably the most amazing film I have ever seen at the cinema. The magic of seeing those dinosaurs on the big screen has gone now so the fourth movie should be something completely different.

JP2 is actually a pretty decent action movie. It fleshed out the character of Ian Malcolm, and both he and Sarah Harding are more interesting than any of the characters in JP4. Pete Postlethwaite's character is pretty good too.

The extended T-Rexes attack on the truck is a really great action scene, and Sarah Harding lying on the cracking glass is one of the most tense scenes in Spielberg's career. The aerial shot of the raptors approaching the group in the long grass is really really cool. The dialog is well written too with some good debates between the characters.

OK, the gymnastics part is absolutely ridiculous and represents Spielberg's over indulgence - but that is just a 15 second moment in the two hour movie. The rest of that raptor attack scene is great and I love how ferocious they are in it. The San Diego scene is fun if a little gimmicky though.

My rating of the series would be:
    JP
    JP2
    JP4
    JP3 (I barely accept it as a JP movie. It is just terrible with no redeeming scenes or features at all, except maybe a decent score by Don "The Matrix" Davis)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

SO much advertsing all over the city for this

do they give away posters when there done with them id take one LOL

that one of pratt on the bike is cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well went to see it today and i thought it was brilliant.

i got exactly what i expected from it. since the first ive wanted a sequel to deal with a functional park fully populated and i got that here.

in fact i couldnt help thinking ya could quite happily slap the original and this up as a two part feature and it'd work great in the cinemas.

i spent pretty much the last half hour with a smile on my face and ended up having the most enjoyable time in the cinema since probably guardians of the galaxy.

8/10 from me. the best sequel to JP IMO thats been done.

seen it in 2D in a packed out theatre and the kids seem to love it (even though i though it was a bit rough in places for the really young ones) . will happily go again with the bird to see it in 3D to see if its any use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I guess this wasn't quite as bad as the other JP sequels, but being brutally honest, if I divorced myself from the burden of nostalgia and emotion for the original film, there really wasn't much going for this. Yeah it wasn't bad, but if that's the yardstick of entertainment these days, surely that's a poor sign of standards overall? It wasn't a patch on the original film, not even close. Nothing in Jurassic World held my attention or had me on the edge of my seat like that terrifying monsoon T-Rex escape in JP1, or the nerve-shredding scene in the kitchen. You can spin your camera between the legs of the dinos all you want, but you can't manufacture tension through spectacle, it has to come from what's happening, and who it's happening to, now how it's portrayed.

I dunno, maybe it's fitting too that a film so centred around an amusement park should itself resemble a thempark ride: all swooping fake spectacle, no depth. It's all well and good being glib about 'turning your brain off', or accepting the surface flashiness for what it is, but to think properly back on at what made Jurassic Park so memorable, beyond the visceral thrill of dinosaurs on-screen: yes there was that awe, those beautiful swells of John William's score, but it can't be denied that its characters made you care about what was happening. Were they 2-dimensional? Hell yes, each character's arc could be summarised in a sentence, but they were sketchily drawn characters that were relatable, charming, idiosyncratic; Jurassic World had ... well, the kind of characters you'd expect in a themepark ride. Mouth breathers, there to further the plot and spout some exposition - not to mention a thoroughly obnoxious, unlikeable teenager character that just killed any sense of worry I had about the characters vulnerability. Please eat these children Mr indominus Rex I found myself wishing.

In short summary? It ain't no Fury Road that's for sure. Maybe that should be my personal barometer for blockbuster cinema. What would Immortan Joe say? Mediocre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I saw Jurassic world on Friday having never seen jurrasic park.

I wasn't expecting that much going into it but I actually really enjoyed it and I was really glad I went to see it :)

I saw Jurassic world on Friday having never seen jurrasic park.

I wasn't expecting that much going into it but I actually really enjoyed it and I was really glad I went to see it :)

:eek: you need to go out and buy the bluray set

there fun movies

2+3 are patchy but good dino fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

out of curiousity what did jurassic world do that the two previous sequels didnt that people consider it better?

I mean the issues people really hated about jurassic park 3 are all present here?

-vindictive villain dinosaur chasing people across the island? check

-Really overdone raptor talk? in f*cking spades

-Human being able to communicate with raptors?

*cough*

(I cant be the only person who kept thinking this everytime Chris Pratt talked to blue?)

Annoying teenager (really were these two better then the kid in 3?)

I mean at least part 3 had William H Macey. He's like Ron Pearlman or paul giamatti, you forgive a lot with a someone like that around to make it a fun journey (though saying that paul giamatti showed up in san andreas and didnt help...)

I guess the one issue world has over 3 is that World feels like it has a full ending (almost, we do get sequel bait) when 3 just has the dinosaurs go away and the navy show up. (which still sort of happens anyway with Blue and Rex going their separate ways)

This is going to be one of those films where I'm going to save this thread and tuck it away and when they put the trailer out for Jurassic Galaxy or whatever is next in 2-3 years and everyone starts going "Well the last one was sh*t but this one looks good" I will link this and remind you

actually I might be able to do that with 3 doing a quick search I see a few posts saying it was the best sequel, a few even saying it was the best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Saw it Friday and loved it.

Brought 4 younger siblings today and they all loved it too.

A highly entertaining movie.

Yer all crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Entertaining film with flaws that you can kind of look past.

Not sure how Bryce Dallas Howard outran a T-Rex in heels (BDH in heels that is, not the T-Rex). Also a bit confused why the T-Rex just wandered off aimlessly at the end, but like others have said, it's a dinosaur movie. I wasn't expecting a bulletproof script or an Oscar contender. The trailers did a great job setting my expectation level below what my enjoyment would eventually be. Not that that was their goal, mind you.

Didn't like any of the characters, Pratt aside. Was actually more gutted at the dying Brontosaurus/Brachiosaurus (whichever one it was) than I was at any human characters' misfortunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

zerks wrote: »

I'm not surprised it made that much, it's a film that kids will love and their parents will too cause they were more then likely kids/teenagers when Jurassic Park came out. So a fun time out for the whole family.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    out of curiousity what did jurassic world do that the two previous sequels didnt that people consider it better?

I mean the issues people really hated about jurassic park 3 are all present here?

-vindictive villain dinosaur chasing people across the island? check

-Really overdone raptor talk? in f*cking spades

-Human being able to communicate with raptors?

*cough*

(I cant be the only person who kept thinking this everytime Chris Pratt talked to blue?)

Annoying teenager (really were these two better then the kid in 3?)

I mean at least part 3 had William H Macey. He's like Ron Pearlman or paul giamatti, you forgive a lot with a someone like that around to make it a fun journey (though saying that paul giamatti showed up in san andreas and didnt help...)

I guess the one issue world has over 3 is that World feels like it has a full ending (almost, we do get sequel bait) when 3 just has the dinosaurs go away and the navy show up. (which still sort of happens anyway with Blue and Rex going their separate ways)

This is going to be one of those films where I'm going to save this thread and tuck it away and when they put the trailer out for Jurassic Galaxy or whatever is next in 2-3 years and everyone starts going "Well the last one was sh*t but this one looks good" I will link this and remind you

actually I might be able to do that with 3 doing a quick search I see a few posts saying it was the best sequel, a few even saying it was the best...

I love JP3 its a fun ride
    but its rushed and has annoying parents especially tea leoni :mad:
    the ending is a joke no grand finale

JWs opened park idea is a genuinely refreshing idea for the franchise
    pratt is a very appealing lead

its been 13years since jurassic was in the public eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Didn't like any of the characters, Pratt aside. Was actually more gutted at the dying Brontosaurus/Brachiosaurus (whichever one it was) than I was at any human characters' misfortunes.

That's why I wasn't as in love with Jurassic World as many on here are or yourself who are willing to overlook the flaws, I thought it was just okay maybe my expectations for it were too high . The lack of any characters you cared for, Pratt's likeability made me care (you just can't hate him even with an underwritten role). But that scene you mentioned was actually one of the main highpoints of the film along with The last twenty or so minutes of the movie were a lot of fun too.

Gonna put this out there but I liked JP3 better than two. All three films stand the test of time.

I see four as a logical extension to the franchise. I think there's one more in it
    Dr. Henry Wu got away on the helicopter with the embryos, so we're headed to the mainland
    possibly two, but I personally don't want to see it go any further than that. A big problem now is that Pratt is a bone fide megastar & he's going to be extremely expensive to keep on board. Would love to see Sam Neill & Laura Dern (even Jeff Goldbloom) make an appearance in the sequels. Hell, Even Ariana Murphy or Joseph Mazzello could make an appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

That_Guy wrote: »
    To be honest, the film is about survival. We all loved Sam Neill and co because their characters were fleshed out and you got a sense of them.

Here, we have one seemingly autistic kid, a dick of an older brother and an aunt that I just didn't care for.

Why should I root for these people to survive when they're not worth cheering for?

Autistic? Really?

I enjoyed the ludicrousness of it all tbh, it's hard not to be won over by Pratt and his raptor brahs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Saw a late showing of this without any kids in the theatre and the general impression of the audience seemed to a big meh. Like the first film it took ages for the action to get going but when i did it was enjoyable. Pratt is just too comedic an actor to be an action star- even his serious lines came off as jokes. Most of the actors were just annoying- can't think of anyone I didn't want to die. The Dinosaur cgi did not seem that much of a step up from Jurassic Park. an Average blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I can absolutely see there being kids etc coming out of this movie thinking it was amazing. I remember when I was younger I went to see The Lost World twice in the cinema because I loved Jurassic Park so much. I even liked Jurassic Park 3 at the time as again I was younger then and just loved that stuff.

But now it seems I've become too old, grumpy and critical! I can't remember the last time I've come out of a cinema and been this disappointed.

The movie is just awful. There were just so many silly things in it.
    The head of the Park flying out in an assassination mission, What!
    The characters are all so flat and you really just don't care about any of them. The last 20 mins... Plot holes galore and worst of all.. it's just CGI everywhere.

Things have got out of hand with CGI. I just don't understand why they even bothered with some of the dinosaurs as they all just look so fake and it's the biggest problem with the film. There is no sense of awe because everything looks worse than the original film.

So massively disappointed. Jurassic Park is up there as one of my favourite films and this is just nowhere near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Autistic? Really?

I enjoyed the ludicrousness of it all tbh, it's hard not to be won over by Pratt and his raptor brahs.

Apologies if my autism remark offended. He certainly seemed to have the traits. Was never touched upon. Pure guesswork on my part anyway.

One more thing about this film....

How did the T-Rex get on the roof at the end?? HOW??!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

So many conflicting opinions around the place, torn as to whether I should see it due to the nostalgia factor and forming my own opinion (the first two were the better ones), or avoid it due to common sense :(

Shall decide tomorrow.

I've been re-watching the other films after being annoyed by this one and I just finished The Lost World, judging by biggerbruv's response I get the feeling the sequels are mostly unliked cause they have crappy endings which in fairness they both do have awful endings. Lost world particularly stung me because unlike the first film, I read the book to it before seeing the film and the san diago scene is such a massive departure from the books ending (which in fairness so does the first film) that it probably annoyed me even more.

but I must admit the amount of puppetwork in the lost world surprised me, i thought it was only the first one that was mostly puppet and after that they went all cgi but most of the t-rex in the trailer attack scene is puppet work with really only a very few shots being all cgi.

Also one thing I like about the lost world and Jurassic park is that the first film as a kid I went to it cause I wanted to see a T-Rex but it was the raptors that took the focus and stole the film and terrified me. The lost world I went to see the raptors but in a weird reverse it was much more about the T-rex this time and the raptors only get 1 big scene. I oddly respect that and give them kudos for it.

It also brings me back to the point of that brutal death scene near the end of Jurassic world and why it still bugs me (and not for gender issues) it's bad storytelling

consider what is probably the most brutal on screen death in the lost world:

What works in this is

a) he's currently having an impact on the narrative because he's trying to save the others and is forced to make a choice to save the others at the risk of himself as a character says later in the film he died saving their lives.

b) there's that glimmer of chance that allows us to build some sort of suspense because he's trying to get his gun. It's fairly obvious to a lot of film goers he's boned but it gives us a focus point.

in contrast (sorry for the obviously low quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d8eKqbAFqw

a) why the focus on this character makes no sense as she was neither any real part of the plot nor actually doing anything in this scene of importance that this action interrupts and throws a wrench in things or affect the characters. If she had actually been doing something important or narrative influencing this might have been fine (see the classic Deep Blue Sea Samual Jackson death for a ridiculous death in a crap movie being perfectly timed to make it a fun crap movie)

b) she was dead pretty much from the point she got picked up, none of the complications showed really a way out, she gets dropped, dead from being dropped head first into concrete, she gets dropped in middle of lake, she gets attacked under water and then gets eaten. This particularly bugged me because they could have easily made this a scene about the kids trying to save her and failing, they had them running to the edge of the lake instead of having the whole pterodactyl diving in to attack her underwater they could have had the kids trying to rescue her from the water and then she is killed just inches from the finish line. Still graphic but it's actual movement forward in the story and not a 2 minute break to watch a really flashy death. The death moves the narrative forward.

Which is kind of why I find it funny when people think I hate dumb blockbusters, no I dont I love dumb blockbusters, but to me just because your movie is going to be dumb the audience leaves their brains at home nonsense, does not mean the filmmakers just throw sh*t at the screen, dumb action movies could take more work then any smart indie film because you are trading making the audience think to structuring a basic narrative that keeps their attention so well that they dont think. While the writer is not expected to write shakespeare he is required to make the most solid simple structure for why A leads to X and C destroys Y, consider that the two best die hard films are simply about robberies, while the worse involve governments, foriegn leaders, world peace and destruction of large parts of the world. Editors and cinematographers have to really step up their game to keep that pace going and those action scenes not only tight but also interesting. There's a tonne of stupid minor plot threads in jurassic world which should have been cut cause they go nowhere, the teenager being horny and having an overactive girlfriend and the parents having a divorce being the two most criminally time wasting ones.

and as my final tangent the things that I think were hinted in the film but is actually reading into it too much. Is breeding Raptors illegal? Its just in the scene with the park owner and the gun ho villain, its clear the gun ho villain had to push to get permission to create the 4 raptors, there are clearly no raptors as part of the park and the fact that new cokeasuarus rex had raptor dna was confidential and a big shock seems to hint that there actually might be some strict government regulation (borne out of the first film) over what dinosaurs can be created and raptors are a very strict no to having them as park attractions.

Also as a massive nitpick the park owner makes no sense in context of any of the other films (even if it's just the first 1) he says Hammond asked him to fulfill his dream of jurassic world on his deathbed, which if you've seen the first film you'd know by the end Hammond had firmly switched to "Nope" and when you take in the lost world he was even more firmer "leave them alone" so again perhaps there might have been something interesting there that perhaps he did not gracefully take over ingen with hammond's blessing and is in fact p*ssing over his grave but this is again not touched on because he's then killed off after a confusing set of scenes where he is both painted as potentially in on the conspiracy by one character but then looks like morally aghast at the events in the next...odd character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So innocent woman is tortured and killed in the most painful and drawn out way from any of the 4 films, but that means gender roles have been eliminated? Hurray?

Even aside from the gender role aspect, that whole scene just disgusted me, and I enjoyed most of the rest of the film for what it was.

I suppose i dont want this "gender roles" nonsense to become a thing. By the end the producers/directors will spend more time making sure that nobody is offended than making a good movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How was she innocent? She's a clearly irresponsible person who works reasonably high up in the park. Anyone who would go to the theme park, let alone live there after the events of the first film which would obviously have been reported would know the risk of being there. A lot of other people died too, men and women. It was just an opportunity to have a cool dinosaur set piece and not have a loose end character I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

God, what did I just watch.

Not as bad as 3, but still pretty damn awful.

Makes Lost World look like a master piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Absolutely loved this, It was so much fun. At my screening it was complete silence everyone was hooked on it. It was all about the Dinosaurs. I don't understand people complaining about silly plot holes or things being unrealistic, seriously its a movie about theme park filled with DINOSAURS.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Absolutely loved this, It was so much fun. At my screening it was complete silence everyone was hooked on it. It was all about the Dinosaurs. I don't understand people complaining about silly plot holes or things being unrealistic, seriously its a movie about theme park filled with DINOSAURS.

Because the dinosaurs were awful in it. The Raptors weren't frightening like in the first one, the way all the dino's were put into shots was just awful... no suspense or feature shots. Just bang, here's a big REALLY POOR cgi monster in the middle of the square shot. We're not going to hide any of it, so you really know it's CGI!

The only good dino bits were
    When the I-Rex was first slithering through the jungle, and then when it first breaks out, then the T-rex reveal scene with the flare lighting up it's eyes .. which is quickly ruined by poor cgi when it comes out around the corner and is somehow slower than a girl in heels... and don't get me started on that fight scene! The cgi was really, really poor. It looked like transformers. They was no sense of scale or weight.

Haha, sorry just realize I've gone on a bit of rant!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Not a patch on the original obviously (what is?) but was a big improvement on parts 2 and 3 for me. I'll probably never watch it again, but it was a solid two hours of entertainment. My favourite part was the raptors, ("Blue, you're my boy!!"), the raptor T-Rex tag team and I liked the little nods to the original like the kids finding the old visitor's centre. The indominus was a decent menacing adversary too, at first anyway, got less scary as the movie went on though. The CG was rubbish in places and decent in others but I wasn't really bothered.

I had rewatched the original on Saturday night and they work rather well as a double bill imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't help but chime in on the comments about the PA getting offed, given I was one of the people, rightly or wrongly, who bought up the question of the gender roles near the start of the post-release discussion. I feel responsible for ruining some people's funtimes :p But hey, it's a bee in my bonnet as I've grown older, but I think it's a recurring cliché and bad habit of scripts that generally reveals how thoughtless, artless, crass and bland Hollywood writing can be.

For what it's worth though, I didn't find the death of that female PA particularly bad, considering that, well, she wasn't a character in the first place anyway - which comes back to my main problem with this entire film. Oh she was a bit curt and rude to Dallas Howard's nephews but that was it; that was the sum total of her defining characteristics. She was a vaguely harassed and disaffected PA. Wow - and they needed FOUR writers to come up with that?. Oh sure, she was female, but that just felt like an incidental detail, as opposed to a core part of her character. Again, there was nothing there to give two sh*ts about - much like everyone else in that flatlining script.

I bet right now, half of you reading can remember the names of most of the JP1 characters and/or their arcs. Even the minor ones: remember Muldoon, the hunter and his 'clever girl'? Or Nedry and his sweaty determination to steal the embryos? Will the same be said of Jurassic World in a year's time? Why are good, memorable characters so hard to come by these days?

As for Dallas Howard's character, I gotta be honest and say yeah, she was more than a little on the nose. To the point that her presence and mere appearance annoyed me as something from about 30 years ago. Now, having defended Jurrasic Park's original characters for being blatantly 2 dimensional, charisma can go a long way to make sure any faults in a character are easier to ignore - or at least accept: Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcolm was a pretty skeevy jerk, but his natural, weird charisma made him quite likeable in an offputting way (and I think Spielberg mocked that same skeevyness in certain hilarious shots and scenes anyway). On the other hand, Howard's character was dead on arrival, and it was hard to know if it was the fault of the script or Howard's flat portrayal. To be fair to her, what else can you do with a character so cliché it hurt? The hollywood-cliché career woman, all shoulder pads and prim appearance; too cold to understand how to simply live, how to be a mother, but slowly over the course of the film she learnt to loosen the clothes and to accept life, all by way of the handsome force-of-nature man of course.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Not a patch on the original obviously (what is?) but was a big improvement on parts 2 and 3 for me. I'll probably never watch it again, but it was a solid two hours of entertainment. My favourite part was the raptors, ("Blue, you're my boy!!"), the raptor T-Rex tag team and I liked the little nods to the original like the kids finding the old visitor's centre. The indominus was a decent menacing adversary too, at first anyway, got less scary as the movie went on though. The CG was rubbish in places and decent in others but I wasn't really bothered.

I had rewatched the original on Saturday night and they work rather well as a double bill imo.

The camp seems to be split down the middle, but I guess people like it or dislike it for the same reasons. For example, the raptor scenes are what ruined it for me, and the tag team part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Liam O wrote: »
    How was she innocent? She's a clearly irresponsible person who works reasonably high up in the park. Anyone who would go to the theme park, let alone live there after the events of the first film which would obviously have been reported would know the risk of being there. A lot of other people died too, men and women. It was just an opportunity to have a cool dinosaur set piece and not have a loose end character I guess.

What? How was she not innocent? She wasn't irreseponsible, she was obviously some kind of personal assistant given the unglamorous job of looking after the owners young relatives (who the owner didn't seem to give a **** about) and only lost the kids because she was on the phone telling someone that her fiance was not to have a bachelor party. She wasn't like the lawyer in the first one who abondoned the kids when he was scared, she was trying to get them to safety.

I understand there is going to be some death in a Jurassic Park film, but I didn't expect a PG-13 family film to have the same kind of fetishism about it that an 18's teen slasher would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The death of the assistant did seem oddly graphic.
    I can only think they wanted a signature death scene for some character of some importance, and she fit the bill. The lack of a reaction from the kids was a bigger problem for me.

Criticism of Claire crying annoys me though - her crying made sense within the story, and her minimal charactor development - she was going from seeing the dinos as "numbers on a spreadsheet" to actual animals deserving of care and sympathy. I felt she was actually quite a strong character - so this gender agenda crap, with regards to her, doesn't sit right with me.

Other issues would be that the gyrospheres were incredibly unsafe - how could you provide such freedom to patrons of the park? to just go where they wanted. I know you can drive round safari parks, but this level of freedom seemed rungs above that - and to not have some locked in homing feature when it went into the 'real world' scenario is incredible.

Also, they really just swapped an Indominus Rex roaming freely for a raptor, a T-Rex and a bunch of murderous birds - not quite a victory!

These are problems I can look past though, cause I was highly entertained for over 2 hours. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It is indeed very hard when a film goes out of it's way to be this bad.

Edit: That was directed at a post which is now gone in case anyone is thinking I'm talking to myself on boards :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Any more posts attacking or insulting others who disagree (personal or generalised) will receive warnings or infractions. People have different opinions, if you can't accept that please refrain from posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I don't understand the hate for this

I went to see it Saturday night, in a late showing. I'm a huge fan of the series, having seen all the previous ones countless times.

I thought this one was up there with the first movie. Really very good, and an enjoyable way to pass a few hours. I could see myself watching this multiple times too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Really did not enjoy this.

Daft/pointless sub plots, bad humour, product placement everywhere, ropy CGI at times, terribly cheesy script, some awful acting and barely any likable characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Very disappointing. The first JP was a classic so I was hoping this would be a return to form. Instead it was a mess. The characters were just terrible.

Uptight control freak + supercoolawesome ex Navy guy who can train raptors and is also laid back and charming and totally isn't Indiana Jones mixed with Han Solo, no sir this is a totally original character + two annoying kids that have no redeeming features. I really didn't care if the lot of them got eaten.

There was never any tension or scares or anything exciting at all. It was just such a damp squib.

The scene where the raptor ran to the rescue in slow motion was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. And I left the cinema feeling like the film itself was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. Which sucked, because I loved the first film and went in willing this one to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was chatting about this in work today and I realised I probably found two scenarios oddly entertaining and inadvertantly funny:

The Raptors versus Ingen, was actually quite a good set piece. But when one of the Raptors is interrupted when eating and sees Pratt it almost has a "hey who's that ... oh yeah its Alpha ... oh wait should I not be eating this guy?"

when Blue is chomping through the log at "Merde" and he screams "Blueeeeeeee", it actually stops and looks in at him

It all just added to the fun though.

Also on THAT death scene, I didn't mind it as it was a brief glimpse into what else was going on while the birds attacked. They covered off a few other deaths, impaling, general face chewing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Really? Huh makes sense in retrospect but I thought the British assistant was the spitting image of her.

[Edit] Ah it was Katie McGrath. To be fair the two do look similar enough.
    No they don't buy yes I would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Saw it last night. Really disappointed with it. With the material and budget they had it should've been a great film, it wasn't. 3/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

Also how **** is the helicopter pilot puking? Pussy.

They had a t-rex t-shirt with a funny caption while the t-rex i-rex raptor fight was happening. Jesus use the t-rex short arms reference and have the rex try and reach them and fail while the t-shirt is behind them. FFS.

CGI was awful. They needed to set a new standard for fx like the first one did. In some cases I thought they went backwards from 1993. 1993!!!!!!

Pratt's comedic talent underused. The kids were not annoying but I did not overly care for them.

Guy from new girl was ****, unrealistic character. Bring back S L Jackson. Hold on to yer butts!

I didnt stay after the credits but I assume there was a post credits setting up a sequel with BD Wong's character? Anyone.

I'd be curious how many saw it in 3d vs 2d liked and disliked it.

I noticed among people I know those who liked it saw it in 3d, while everyone I know who saw it in 2D hated it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement