Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurassic World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That synopsis actually sounds decent too. Maybe that's because of all the rumours regarding the earlier drafts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There’s real dialogue scenes in the movie and there’s real, like, acting scenes in the movie, but at the same time the environment is full of dinosaurs. I mean, it’s just amazing
    That makes it sound like they had real dinosaurs on the set during filming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone know what the whacky scheme that backfires is going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thargor wrote: »

805870384922359724.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It better not be super smart(er) raptors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.masraniglobal.com/main.html

Viral site. The first bits of news are about an oil platform being damaged and plans for a semi-submersible one. Then stuff about digging in Siberia for fossils and stuff.

Given that water-based dinosaurs are one of the things untouched by the Jurassic Park franchise, I suspect they'll go that way with something enormous like basilosaurus, and the idea that instead of an aquarium, you have a huge submersible that dips into a lake to look at these creatures.

And/or one of them escapes and is living free in the seas around Isla Nublar, attacking ships.

I think I'd be disappointed by both though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

ScumLord wrote: »
    That makes it sound like they had real dinosaurs on the set during filming.

It sounds like a quote from Barry Shitpeas on Screenwipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Kiith wrote: »
    It better not be super smart(er) raptors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The synopsis kinda sounds intriguing in its own way, it feels like a fun twist to simply run with the idea that Jurassic Park worked perfectly well once the kinks were ironed out; OK, sounds like it'll still be hubris behind the latest rampage of dinosaurs, but at least they're not cobbling together yet another reason to return to the abandoned Isla Nublar / Site B.

A trailer now would be nice: I've had pretty low expectations of this in the first place, so a half-decent trailer would keep the interest simmering over nicely. It feels like a film that can only impress given few people realistically expect much from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

First trailer is coming soon.

10801888_729477360473603_699749809107897658_n.jpg?oh=36f3eddbd767206de86b3366c938706e&oe=54DE97BE&__gda__=1427825390_1c6a7b5754c3517929828f70300556b2

Director Colin Trevorrow came earlier this year with two great quotes
    regarding the film:

One was that money has been the gasoline in the engine of our biggest mistakes. If there are billions to be made, no one can resist them, even if they know things could end horribly.
    The other was that our relationship with technology has become so woven into our daily lives, we've become numb to the scientific miracles around us. We take so much for granted.
    Those two ideas felt like they could work together. What if, despite previous disasters, they built a new biological preserve where you could see dinosaurs walk the earth…and what if people were already kind of over it? We imagined a teenager texting his girlfriend with his back to a T-Rex behind protective glass. For us, that image captured the way much of the audience feels about the movies themselves. 'We've seen CG dinosaurs. What else you got?' Next year, you'll see our answer."
    "I understand the risks of leaving the safe zone. We've all been disappointed by new installments of the stories we love. But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else's childhood. This is their time. And I have to build something that can take them to the same place those earlier films took us. It may not happen in the same way everyone expects it to, but it's the way I believe it needs to happen.
    Honestly, the biggest misconception on this movie is that there's some massive conference room at the studio where all these cynical story decisions are made. There is no committee. Universal has given us the resources to tell the story we want to tell, on the scale we want to tell it. Will this one be different from the other movies? You bet it will. And I'm not going to pass the buck if it doesn't work. This one's on me."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Teaser has been released!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Trailers have trailers now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Why the hell would they release a trailer to another trailer? This is just as bad as when they make announcements for announcements of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Trailers for trailers is becoming depressingly more common

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Teaser has been released!

I like how it looks like the true moving on sequel to the fiasco that started in the classic original. And that the park has been running for
    10 years but visitor numbers are dropping

Chris Pratt has the deamanour and look of Quint from Jaws here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Why the hell would they release a trailer to another trailer? This is just as bad as when they make announcements for announcements of games.

I'm just annoyed there hasn't been any teaser reaction vids posted yet.

I'm just annoyed there hasn't been any teaser reaction vids posted yet.

People already complaining about CGI and the ball transport with profound insights such as "lame" not realising the context and time (2 decades) having passed. Much like Star Wars, I think people would prefer getting a bad movie just so they have something to take more shots at. What would they talk about if it was good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I still think full on CGI looks like shit. A bit here and there to top off the physical effects can make things look great, but it still looks incredibly fake and stupid 90% of the time. Very few movies, I think, have got it right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God this teaser-trailer fad is tiresome. It's not like Jurassic fuppin' Park 4 should need the extra marketing oxygen, yet here we are with a needless cocktease. Le sigh.

And if people are already criticising based on 3 seconds of actual footage, I despair. Probably is something to Adamantiums notion that people just reach for something to dump on. Being constructive takes more effort I guess ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm really looking forward to seeing the animatronics they've built for this, they always impressed me by the sheer amount of work they put into them and Legacy Effects (created after Stan Winston died) have had years working on them.

6597815_orig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rewatching the original JP and the reason it still looks good is because of the animatronics. Hopefully they do something similar for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the animatronics they've built for this, they always impressed me by the sheer amount of work they put into them and Legacy Effects (created after Stan Winston died) have had years working on them.

6597815_orig.jpg

It's arms, they're SOOOOOooooo cute!

*grrr, spitting, football, boobs, other manly things*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

.ak wrote: »
    Rewatching the original JP and the reason it still looks good is because of the animatronics. Hopefully they do something similar for this?

Yep, the scene where the T Rex chases the jeep is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If they put half as much effort into the film as they do talking about the trailer, it'll be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

The odd thing I notice rewatching the sequels is how much they cheat and don't show the dinosaurs at times when they should. It comes off really shoddy at times as if they didn't have the budget or skill to pull off certain shots that should have been there - during dino attacks for instance - cut to reaction, cut to interior of vehicle turning over, cut to anything at all except the bloody thing that's attacking them. In the first movie you never feel that you're being cheated like that - whenever you aren't looking at dinosaurs it's because you're being primed and prepared for when you are supposed to see them.

WRBFf0q.png
    superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif?id=343

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Poe?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

.ak wrote: »

Some of the CG in it looks brilliant to this day too.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Some of the CG in it looks brilliant to this day too.

Supposedly there was very little CGI actually used in JP1, that the majority of FX was actually old-fashioned animatronics and puppets. It doesn't negate what you say mind you, it's amazing that 21 year old CGI FX can still trump some of the output from studios today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If anybody watches Nostalgia Critic, he made a video about "When is there too much CGI". One of the arguments he made was that with a constant CGI saturation, it becomes more and more clear that it's all in a computer and we subconsciously start to look for the CGI. When Jurassic Park was made, the creators constantly swapped between CGI, anamatronics and puppets, therefore our brains never get used to just one type and it helps maintain the illusion.

Maybe it was all boll*x, but it sounds like it sort of makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If anybody watches Nostalgia Critic, he made a video about "When is there too much CGI". One of the arguments he made was that with a constant CGI saturation, it becomes more and more clear that it's all in a computer and we subconsciously start to look for the CGI. When Jurassic Park was made, the creators constantly swapped between CGI, anamatronics and puppets, therefore our brains never get used to just one type and it helps maintain the illusion.

Maybe it was all boll*x, but it sounds like it sort of makes sense.
    Well yeah but maybe a simpler explanation is that CGI models dont move properly and they look all soft and blurry so there's no hope of avoiding breaking immersion when you use them in a film, its just a financial decision to sacrifice quality to save money. Im sure they'll get around to perfect CGI sometime and it will cease to be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I liked it :) Good setup...some interesting scenes... The kids could be an issue but eh...had to be expected I suppose

The slowed down theme tune was quite eerie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

brevity wrote: »
    I liked it :) Good setup...some interesting scenes... The kids could be an issue but eh...had to be expected I suppose

The slowed down theme tune was quite eerie.

Yeah I love the new version of the theme, it's spine-chilling almost.

So I guess the new hybrid dino is gonna be a T-Rex/Raptor of some sort????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I think it seems very generic and the CGI looks poor. A DNA modified dinosaur? Really? Aren't dinosaurs supposed to be terrifying enough. Why do we need to make a 'super-saur'? The shot of Star-Lord on a bike being flanked by Velociraptors was the final nail in the coffin for me. Next to the T-Rex, the Velociraptor is supposed to be a real threat, a cunning killer and extremely ruthless. Now they work for the humans?

Disappointing to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I got the impression from the running raptors that they were trying to get away from something bigger? Still looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I started a thread about Jurassic Park’s groundbreaking use of CGI as well as more practical effects earlier in the year. CGI accounts for a fraction of the effect shots in the film.

This video has been making the rounds over the last few days. It focuses on Jurassic Park’s groundbreaking use of CGI and it’s impact on the visual effects industry (it killed stop-motion stone dead). However, it leaves probably the most important thing about the film’s use of visual effects until last - the fact that CGI accounts for but a fraction of the film’s effects. In fact, the majority of effects in the film are practical - achieved using complex animatronics designed by Stan Winston. What’s extraordinary is how seamlessly the film cuts between animatronic and digital dinosaurs, resulting in possibly the most convincing creatures ever put on screen.

I find it strange that more films haven’t imitated Jurassic Park in this regard. While many films continue to use, say, miniatures in conjunction with CGI, it’s rare to see a creature created using a combination of practical and visual effects anymore. This was the norm in the pre-CGI ‘80s when stop-motion simply wasn’t convincing enough. But since the advent of CGI filmmakers nearly always opt to go fully digital when creating non-human characters, despite the frequently less than convincing results. The argument for doing so is consistency, yet I think most people will agree that the CGI/animatronic dinosaurs in Jurassic Park look probably better than any almost any wholly CGI creature since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

That's a pretty awful trailer to be honest. I'm disappointed. It looks very cheesy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That trailer has a deadly case of CG-itis. Obviously not final at this early stage so can't really call, but it looks like it could be a film that overdoses on the graphics and scale of spectacle at the cost of credibility. Again, trailer assessment is not final assessment!

I hope this doesn't fall into the same trap as The Hobbit - a series of films that technology has made look far inferior to their decade-old predecessors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

What's the story with CGI at this stage? That scene with the shark looked horrendous, but would that be the finished article or would there be significant improvements made before its released?

As much as I love JP, I'm not sure I could get on board with the whole genetically modified dinosaur angle.

T-Raptor? Velocirex? Stegoceratops? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Tbh, I really thought I'd hate it but it isn't that bad of a trailer. The genetics thing was a bit of a given ... that's what a company would try to do if the numbers were flagging. Didn't really mind the raptors scene either, although I thought they should be bigger?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Hybrid dinosaurs?????

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hmmmmmm, not so sure about this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Holy crap this looks terrible. :pac:

Definitely something off about some of the trailer's FX: there's more detail in the dinosaurs, more definition and texture to their skin sure, but they just don't sit within the scenes the way the animals in the 1993 film did. It's unfair of course to compare a trailer's FX work against those from the final production, but still, maybe it just comes back to use of the tool rather than the tool itself. Less is more n' all that.

There's also too much of a ... I dunno, shiny quality to the picture in general; I'm not an expert on film types, but I'm presuming Jurassic World was shot on digital and maybe that's part of the problem too? The lack of a grain or texture to the shots seem to make the dinos pop out more than they should. The aquarium scene seemed particularly bad in that respect. I miss the days when films looked like films.

As to the plot, I'm still onboard actually; the idea still sounds kinda interesting, if a little strained and a bit too on the nose. I'd wonder just how straight-faced they intend playing things mind you, the trailer seemed awfully humourless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This film trailer really had me until i heard genetically modified dinosaurs......
    I am still very hopeful and it looks solid, certainly looks better than the last attempt to me.

I still dont understand why they couldnt encorporate some of the book series plot lines into it as they made a hell of a lot more sense than genetically modified dinosaurs.

Still it will be interesting to see how this develops, Chris Pratt is very likeable so if he puts in a good performance and those around him do too it should be solid .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

Not a great trailer. Partly because we know what to expect with a Jurassic Park movie. The mystique has all but gone.

From the trailer, it just looks like another disaster/monster movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That water park section with the shark looked horrendous, naturally CGI is still being done but that wasn't a good decision to include something like that in a trailer for a franchise noted for it's effects work in order to get people interested in it again.

Dunno what it is exactly by the way it looks, the lighting, the grading, or the cinematography but it doesn't feel cinematic, almost more of a TV feel to it.
    featured3.jpg
    JPentrance.jpg

The plot I don't mind, the dinos were genetic toys anyways so it's not too much of a stretch to see how far the company could push their abilities in attempting to create a new one, especially in terms of trying to get more people to come to the park.

Chris Pratt and his merry band of raptors will save the day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The film looks plastic and sterile .

The special effects look like something out of a Playstation 2 game .
    I could be mistaken for thinking this trailer is for some B movie knock off of Jurassic Park because that's what it looks like.
    I cant believe any studio would release such a bad trailer.

Trailer also looks like its aimed at a target age audience of about 12 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks great on mobile tbh. I'll have rewatch it On a bigger screen. Happy I nailed my prediction about the water dino :)

I think if we go back through this thread the original idea were modified Dinos to be used in warfare. So this looks like a tamed down version of that idea. Almost certainly a raptor/TRex hybrid, maybe some water capabilities in there too?

I think it's too early to say it looks crap. If we hark back to the "someone else's childhood" comment, they may be trying to sell this on the action, it could still have a great storyline like the original.

The motorbike scene looks like it was directly lifted from The Lost World, so they may not be straying too far from the books for this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement