Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurassic World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Any thoughts for the conservation of the current species obviously went out the window if they are feeding great whites to pliosaurs like chum. Is there a scene where they feed a tiger to raptors later in the film I wonder.

Ironically those are the sort of match ups I wouldn't have minded seeing in the film I'd hoped we were getting on when I'd heard it was going to be called Jurassic "world". I thought cool we're finally gonna get a film where the dinosaur get off/smuggled off the island and throw our ecosystem out of whack. Where we see prides of lions competing with raptors for food. Where we see who would win in a footrace between a cheetah and a raptor etc. But nope we get the deep blue sea. Le sigh.

That's what I thought was going to happen after the 1st movie. It almost went there with the t-rex on the loose but I think to reboot the franchise it really needs something absolutely different and drastic like that. Set it 50 years in the future where the ecosystem has been fcuked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

peteeeed wrote: »
    they fed one of them JAWS , i'm in
    Pity it was a ridiculously fake looking CGI JAWS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've seen some reference to Jurassic Park books. I've got into reading here and there lately, and wondering if anyone could drop a link to the books being talked about in the thread.

Anything JP related and good would be welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Thargor wrote: »
    Pity it was a ridiculously fake looking CGI JAWS.

In tribute to the ridiculously fake mechanical Jaws of the original? :pac:

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've seen some reference to Jurassic Park books. I've got into reading here and there lately, and wondering if anyone could drop a link to the books being talked about in the thread.

Anything JP related and good would be welcome :)

Google Michael Crichton and Jurassic Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The clip of the girl holding the flare as the door closes reminded me of Alien

smcgiff wrote: »

Cheers, see it looks like two books. Heading down near an Easons for lunch, might see if they are there for a decent price :)

Just 2 books as far as I can tell, never knew there was a second one though, definitely reading that next:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/71966-jurassic-park

The first was far and away my favourite book as a kid, Id say it will still be a good read, Ill never forget seeing the trailer before whatever sh1t we'd been brought to the cinema for and realising they'd made a film out of it, actually thought I was dreaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

.ak wrote: »
    They could've just done human error. Worked for the first one. But yeah. I agree, I don't have much of an issue using it as a plot device, like I said above it can be done, but should it? Does it really need it? I suppose we'll have to wait to find out.

My own idea (trademarked of course) was for fundamental christians to bomb the park as they see the cloning as an afront to God and creationist theory. Hilarity naturally ensues.

Cheers, see it looks like two books. Heading down near an Easons for lunch, might see if they are there for a decent price :)
    I doubt you'll be finding them on the shelves of an Easons, secondhand shops would be your only hope now of buying them from bricks and mortar, Amazon will have them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Zombienosh wrote: »
    The clip of the girl holding the flare as the door closes reminded me of Alien

I imagine it's more of a nod to the original movie when the T Rex gets out of it's enclosure initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Watched the original again last night due to this discussion. Such a great movie! What ever happened to Sam Neil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Working in TV (and doing a great job).
    Look up Peaky Blinders on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah he is good in peaky blinders, one of my friends was at a gathering a few years back which he was to attend and they were told before hand not to talk about Jurassic Park to him ........... Not sure why but they were serious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

tok9 wrote: »
    I imagine it's more of a nod to the original movie when the T Rex gets out of it's enclosure initially.

I wish they wouldnt do that. Nod to previous films in the franchise. It works ok in long running franchises like say Bond, but its not needed in things like this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Theyre a pretty good read from what I remember, play out a bit differently to the films too.

Mr E wrote: »

Looks right up my alley. Shall have a look!(why have I not heard of this before....?)

All the good Goldblum did in the first one was ruined by the sequel :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just watched the trailer for this it looks awfull when are they going to stop these movies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Milly33 wrote: »
    Just watched the trailer for this it looks awfull when are they going to stop these movies

The CGI in Jurassic Park looked better in 1993 than it does now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

dan1895 wrote: »
    I don't think so nor did they ever say why they called them velociraptors when they were deinonychus or dromeosaurus. Velociraptors were only about knee height.

My best guess would be that velociraptor is a lot more marketable and vicious sounding.

Deinonychus and dromeosaurus sound more like something you'd catch on a lads holiday in Crete.

Thargor wrote: »
    I doubt you'll be finding them on the shelves of an Easons, secondhand shops would be your only hope now of buying them from bricks and mortar, Amazon will have them though.

Yeah just got them on Google Play, reading through first one on lunch and pretty absorbed by it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Yeah just got them on Google Play, reading through first one on lunch and pretty absorbed by it already.

The first book is a masterpiece. the film really doesn't do it justice. I'm not as gone on the second book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

speaking of the velociraptors am i the only one getting a "greyhound racing" vibe off their scene in the trailer ?

:D

speaking of the velociraptors am i the only one getting a "greyhound racing" vibe off their scene in the trailer ?

I think they've gone for the whole, these vicious predators are too afraid to attack their human prey which is in easy reach because of what is coming up behind them, so we should be scared too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I think they've gone for the whole, these vicious predators are too afraid to attack their human prey which is in easy reach because of what is coming up behind them, so we should be scared too. :)

Generally, in the real world predators will only hunt when they're hungry. They won't necessarily go into attach mode just because they see something nearby. (we saw this at the end of JP3) If we saw the motorbike scene on it's own, i would assume that they were all running away from the hybrid, but with the cages all snapping open, it does seem more deliberate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Slashflim seem to think that the raptors are "with" Pratts character, almost like hunting dogs. Wouldnt be too gone on the whole tamed dinosaurs angle myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Kunkka wrote: »
    Looks right up my alley. Shall have a look!(why have I not heard of this before....?)

All the good Goldblum did in the first one was ruined by the sequel :(

I actually hated Goldblum in the original.

... or the character, not quite sure.

brevity wrote: »
    Slashflim seem to think that the raptors are "with" Pratts character, almost like hunting dogs.

No. Just No!

Imagine

His pets Vinnie, Victor & Valerie the Velociraptors. I'll actually leave the ****ing cinema!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't think it's that hard to believe in that in that world they could genetically engineer raptors to be domesticated. And it'd be a shame to have them yet again as villains in a JA film. Having them as domesticated (to an extent) is a reasonable twist on what should otherwise be a breed of dinosaur that they all know full well not to bring back into existence after the last three incidents.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Having them as domesticated (to an extent) is a reasonable twist on what should otherwise be a breed of dinosaur that they all know full well not to bring back into existence after the last three incidents.

Okay, but only if they revert to type before the end of the movie and eat the kids in an R rated scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I actually really like the idea of a fully working park but then all hell breaks loose. It reminds me of a 1970s disaster movie set up.

The genetically modified hybrid dinosaur is a little too vague at this stage to have any concrete feelings about but I do feel they are walking a tightrope. It could be fantastic if done well or horrible if handled poorly. Having said that, existing dinosaurs are awesome enough so the hybrid plot feels like an unnecessary complication.

The idea of tamed raptors or raptors working with the humans is really concerning because it sounds utterly stupid based on the animals we saw in the Spielberg movies. Taming a pack of wild wolves is almost impossible so doing the same with a bunch of raptors seems to dampen the effect of them.

I want the movie to be good, but I'm erring on the side of caution at the moment. It would be a shame if it turns out to be a bad movie because the core idea of a working park is cool if handled correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

My only reservation about the new hybrid dinosaur is that it won't be the laser totting cyber-dino I was hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Kunkka wrote: »
    Imagine

His pets Vinnie, Victor & Valerie the Velociraptors. I'll actually leave the ****ing cinema!

"Collect them all with a McDonald's Happy Meal!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

My prediction is a half decent popcorn movie, no atmosphere, terrible dialogue, nonsensical plot devices, fun individual scenes with dinosaurs, unoriginal 'homages' to the first movie which actually becomes distracting, boring characters (especially the children), nice special effects. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I'd put money on. This deserves so much more than what we're seeing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Anyone complaining about the tamed dinos obviously hasnt read the book. There is a scene where Hammond is suggesting breeding dinos as pets! I think its the first book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone think of the plot from deep blue sea with a scientist creating a super smart shark/dino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone think of the plot from deep blue sea with a scientist creating a super smart shark/dino.
    Exactly what I thought too. Mind you, I like Deep Blue Sea, so not necessarily a bad thing. Trailer seems pretty decent to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Virtanen wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought too. Mind you, I like Deep Blue Sea, so not necessarily a bad thing. Trailer seems pretty decent to me

going to rewatch it again. i just had a quick look at it. going to download the super hd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just watched it again in HD and it's a wee bit better. The monorail is still annoying me though if it didn't work for Ogdenville it's nit going to work here!

I really couldn't care about the kid, he's one of a thousand kids on the island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

razorblunt wrote: »
    Just watched it again in HD and it's a wee bit better. The monorail is still annoying me though if it didn't work for Ogdenville it's nit going to work here!

The dinosaur that came out of the water looked like a giant croc - so an amphibian. What's stopping him from jumping out into the crowd or knocking the monorail back to North Haverbrook!

Still...looking forward to it.

Also must rewatch Deep Blue Sea! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

.ak wrote: »
    One thing that annoyed me though isn't the fact they had to write in a GM dino, but the fact that they seem to need to make a bigger/badder/fictional dino when they have the iconic t-rex at hand. In the 3rd one I really disliked the whole having a bigger dino than the t-rex thing, just seemed cheap to me.

T-rex may be iconic but it's not really the biggest, baddest one around and is generally overdone IMO, just because it was big and powerful when first discovered in relation to what else they had found at the time. Spinosaurus in JP3 could have been great but no, they messed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That hybrid dinosaur doesn't bode well to be honest. It's kind of taken away one of the things that made the first one so great, was that these creatures actually existed and were scientifically brought back, but now with mixing them it's just some sort of 'meh we'll just mesh two together to replace a decent storyline'. It also seems to be using that whole teasing what it looks like idea too, hopefully that won't be a major plot point in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The dinosaur that came out of the water looked like a giant croc - so an amphibian. What's stopping him from jumping out into the crowd or knocking the monorail back to North Haverbrook!

Still...looking forward to it.

Also must rewatch Deep Blue Sea! :)

I read a great comment on YT (I know, I know the comments section was finally of use!) about someone complaining that if the final scene has "Howard's daughter, Pratt and the kids backed into a corner by the hybrid close to water/the pit only to be saved by that croc thingy to leap up and drap the hybrid to its watery doom, I'm hunting the makers down and getting a personal refund".

It's completely logical that it might happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Did anyone mention or ask why the Velociraptors are running along beside Chris Pratt and not leaping on him ripping him to shreds?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If Pratt was riding a dinosaur instead of a motorcycle in that scene nobody would be complaining :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Did anyone mention or ask why the Velociraptors are running along beside Chris Pratt and not leaping on him ripping him to shreds?

Best theory at the moment is: Pratt has trained his pet velociraptors, Vinnie; Victor; and Valerie, to work with him in his big hunt for the 'super-saurus'. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If Pratt was riding a dinosaur instead of a motorcycle in that scene nobody would be complaining :pac:

I'm not complaining, (but I might if he was riding one). I'm just wondering what the context is.

It definitely reminds me of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was speculation a while back that the Raptors would have been somewhat tamed - I assume similar to how Lions can be 'tamed' - and in this case Pratt is the 'Raptor Tamer'

• Advertisement

I'm not complaining, (but I might if he was riding one). I'm just wondering what the context is.

It definitely reminds me of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs!

There were rumours in early production of them using the raptors as sort of attack dogs to regulate rogue dinos or something so I guess that scene might confirms it. I get why people think it's silly but tbh my 12 year old self would have loved the idea of friendlyish raptors.

Advertisement