Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hidden gem locations to photograph in Kerry?

• 23-07-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm heading off down to Kerry next week for a bit of a break. I'll be doing a bit of travelling around the Ring of Kerry and taking the usual photographs. I spent a bit of time there as a kid so I know a few good spots for landscape photography.

Just wondering does anyone have any recommendations of places to go, that might be worth photographing, landscape or not? Something out of the way, off the beaten track, etc. Mainly will be around Killarney, Killorglin, Glenbeigh, Rossbeigh, Cahirsiveen, Bailinskelligs, Dingle, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I was down there only last week. What I did was take a slightly different route to the usual Ring route. At Moll's Gap, instead of turning left towards Kenmare, take a right. This will bring you by a place called Black Valley and onwards to Sneem via a different route. Very scenic. Hope that helps.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I was down there only last week. What I did was take a slightly different route to the usual Ring route. At Moll's Gap, instead of turning left towards Kenmare, take a right. This will bring you by a place called Black Valley and onwards to Sneem via a different route. Very scenic. Hope that helps.:)

Thanks for that Freddie. I'll mark that on the map before I go. I like the look of Torc Waterfall. I've a neutral density filter I've been meaning to try out on a good waterfall. This could be it. Is it easy to find?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Torc is very easy to find, its a couple of KM past Muckross House on the left,

Pedlars Lake is another lovely spot on the Connor Pass, its located half way up on the left, theres a small lay-by but if you climb up the rocks you'll find a rather nice remote lake.

Pretty much all around Slea Head is great, especially Comenole (sp?) beach near Dunquin.

Enjoy your trip to the Kingdom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

11811 wrote: »
    Torc is very easy to find, its a couple of KM past Muckross House on the left,

Pedlars Lake is another lovely spot on the Connor Pass, its located half way up on the left, theres a small lay-by but if you climb up the rocks you'll find a rather nice remote lake.

Pretty much all around Slea Head is great, especially Comenole (sp?) beach near Dunquin.

Enjoy your trip to the Kingdom!

+1 for Slea Head.
    +1 for Conor Pass.

Just get of the beaten track and leave the car behind.

If you have not done it before the Gap of Dunloe make a great hike n' snap route.

+1 for Slea Head.
    +1 for Conor Pass.

Just get of the beaten track and leave the car behind.

If you have not done it before the Gap of Dunloe make a great hike n' snap route.

Yep. Beautiful spot. Went there in a jaunting car last week. Still recovering!!

yeah the Torc is really easy to get to - out the Muckross Road towards Kenmare. About three miles out on the left side. Enjoy your visit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you're into waterfalls then seek out O'Sullivan's Cascade, nice walk to it but beautiful place. Also, head for Annascaul Lake if you're down that way.

8B285CACF12D45C6982EEF65C3A30622-800.jpg

phog wrote: »
    If you're into waterfalls then seek out O'Sullivan's Cascade, nice walk to it but beautiful place. Also, head for Annascaul Lake if you're down that way.

8B285CACF12D45C6982EEF65C3A30622-800.jpg

That is SOME shot. Where exactly is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

Freddie59 wrote: »
    That is SOME shot. Where exactly is it?

Thank you. Poster on here hav fab shots of it and told me about the place, cant remember his username :o

I probably have better directions on my work laptop but these aren't bad.
    (27L)- R562 from Killarney west for 5 kms. Left towards the Gap of Dunloe. Cross the River Laune. At right-angle bend (signpost for Loch Leane) turn left. After about 1.5 kms the surfaced road goes left across a small stream. Park - carefully - along the road. Essential to avoid blocking the road. Follow the unsurfaced dirt road straight ahead, closing all gates carefully. Through new forest land over a stile and stream. Follow the direct road through the oak woods.
    After about 5 kms (from car) come to a stream. Just short of this follow 'O'Sullivan's Cascade' signpost and stepped path to this most spectacular triple waterfall. Back on the main route. Continue over the stream on a circular route that rejoins the lower road near the first wooden bridge and stile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Dingle > Slea Head drive > Connor Pass > some beaches (Dun Chaoin) along that route also > enjoy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'm quite fond of a stone beach out towards the end of the Iveragh Peninsula. (go to through the town of Killorglin, at the top of the town you'll get to a mini-roundabout where you can either head back around to the bottom of the town (3rd exit, to the right) go up Sunhill (2nd exit, straight on) or down the Iveragh Road (1st exit, to the left) Basically, you just keep going until you get there.
    The water's color is gorgeous, there are cliffs to once side, beaches to the other, and what looks to be remnants of pylons for old wooden piers long gone in the water. It's very picturesque. :)
    Also.. if you go to the top of Sunhill, just before you go down the back towards Douglas, you'll be in an area where you can see Dingle Bay and the Dingle Peninsula down one side of the hill and Caranthuill (sp?) and McGillicuddy's Reeks down the other side, and the Atlantic Ocean down the back. It's a hell of a place.. my Mum grew up right there in that spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Hidden gems on the Dingle Penninsula:

Glentenassig Woods and lake outside Castlegregory.

10KM stretch of fabulous sandy beach from Fermoyle to the top (almost) of the Maharees.

Sauce Creek and the abandoned village of Araglen (Brandon mountain)

Minard Castle

The fabulous Macha Na Bo valley and lake.

Eask Tower outside Dingle.

Leary's Island with it's beehive huts.

Oh so many more too :D

Advertisement