Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Accident Question

Options
  • 23-07-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

So today I was driving and I bumped into the car in front of me. I was coming to a T junction and while looking right I accelerated from being stopped, thinking the car in front of me had pulled off and tapped the car in front of me. It literally rolled into the car in front of me causing no damage what so ever, no scratches, didn't even sub the dirt of the bumper of the car in front off me. Expecting the driver just to pull off since it was so minor, but she didn't.

So I got out of the car and went over the the driver, she was pretending to get sick and having a panic attack, saying she felt weird etc... Seemed like a complete crazy bitch to me. So I asked all the questions, was she okay etc.. then I go "I'm sorry" and she says that "I will be sorry"??. anyways she goes on then to call the guards and he comes out and assess's the situation, he notes theres no damage done to either car, but that I'm still in the wrong because I tapped into her. He also noted that she had 2 tires under the legal limit and I think I heard him say her NCT was out of date. So we exchange details etc. but I'm nearly certain she gave me the wrong name and maybe the wrong reg. number?? It also turns out that her husband is a solicitor. As I go up to say I'm leaving and to say sorry for everything he then says "You will be sorry" again.

Now what am I in for here. She seemed like a crazy bitch, but I know I'm still in the wrong since it was me who tapped into her. But that's the thing it was only a tap, literally no damage at all to either car, about 2 ****ing miles an hour. What worries me is that her husband is a solicitor and that he knows how these things go about.. So what should I be expecting?. Stress/trauma claims?? Anything I can do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Should be easy enough to find out if she gave you the wrong details. If she did I'd bet she was uninsured. Wouldn't sweat it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Nothing to do with you. That's what you have insurance for.

The guard can only give the facts if asked. He won't say who's to blame. Your insurance pays for the damage so it's up to them to admit liability.

If she provided false details, it's a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EoinT89

Does it make any difference that her NCT was out of date and that she had bald tires?.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EoinT89

Nothing to do with you. That's what you have insurance for.

The guard can only give the facts if asked. He won't say who's to blame. Your insurance pays for the damage so it's up to them to admit liability.

If she provided false details, it's a criminal offence.

Yeah, but she gave the false details to me, wrote down on a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

EoinT89 wrote: »
    Yeah, but she gave the false details to me, wrote down on a piece of paper.

Contact the Gard, they would have noted the vehicle registrations involved......hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Write your memory of the event down straight away. I'm assuming that you've got reg no., insurance cert details, name and address of the injured party etc.

Get the Name of the Garda that atteneded the scene, contact them and inform them that they may be a witness, suggest that they should check both vehicles re tax, NCT and insurance.

Notify your own insurance of the incident.

Wait for the letter from her insurance that threatens you with multi million debts should you decide to contest.

Send above letter to your insurance co, That's what they're paid for...

Sit back and watch the show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

At the end of the day you were in the wrong. You weren't paying due care and attention on the road and hit the back of her car. Her attitude sounded **** but there's not a lot you can do. If she intends to pursue it than let the insurance companies sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

<snip> in that situations, and you cant do anything about it. Ill bet she will try make some circus around .... but as other people said, relax, you have insurance , and they will sort out, a specially if car has no nct or whatever something is not right, insurance not goin pay her anything, cos she not suppose to be on road at all.

I had an incident couple years ago, i bump front car while in traffic, and my cars front was noticeably damaged, front car .. 08 focus i think, had just mark on bumper, and driver was male.. around 55 - 60, we just change over name, address and insurance details, and i said to him, could be handy if he will fix bumper, and ill pay bill , not involving insurance, he said, ok , no probs... but i've never heard from him since, also no any call from any insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

the worst that can happen is that there will be a claim on your insurance if you have protected ncb then your policy wont go up much, it is annoying though looks like you were unfortunate in the person you met most people are decent if if no damage is done then they will be fine but some people will always take full advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Take photos of your car too, to prove there was no damage done.

Oh, and if you do have her details and you find out that a huge claim was made, annoymously report her for insurance fraud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement