Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

four stupid cratloe women

• 23-07-2011 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

How stupid are the women of cratloe,middle aged at that out waking this evening around 7pm. I was coming back from Limerick heading from the over pass bridge towards the gaa field,when I come across four women walking side by side,cars coming both ways ,horn hooting and they looking laughing and refuse to go single file or two abreast.Seeming to enjoy the attention of causing at least two near fatal collisions that I saw..Goodness knows what happened after that....Pat Short was not far off the mark when he created the power walking village idiots in killanascully.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

littlemis wrote: »
    How stupid are the women of cratloe,middle aged at that out waking this evening around 7pm. I was coming back from Limerick heading from the over pass bridge towards the gaa field,when I come across four women walking side by side,cars coming both ways ,horn hooting and they looking laughing and refuse to go single file or two abreast.Seeming to enjoy the attention of causing at least two near fatal collisions that I saw..Goodness knows what happened after that....Pat Short was not far off the mark when he created the power walking village idiots in killanascully.
    Who died?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

They don't just do it in Cratloe! when I was younger the tv was plastered with advice to cyclists not to cycle more than 2 abreast, Sunday 2weeks ago driving from limerick to lahinch came across loads of packs of cyclists who downright refused to move off the roads, you should have seen the car drivers overtaking them.... Not safe at all.

You sure dont like Cratloe women. :D Where you from? Broadford?Clonlara?Clonlara I bet.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

One of them could have been my sister , but hey calling them middle-aged

You are gonna hear about this ..........................I'll be back .:)

One of them could have been my sister , but hey calling them middle-aged

You are gonna hear about this ..........................I'll be back .:)
    I also know of Cratloe people.Theyre all the same.Middle-aged road hoggers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    You sure dont like Cratloe women. :D Where you from? Broadford?Clonlara?Clonlara I bet.;)

If I didn't like Cratloe women I could have easily bounced a couple of them off the bonnet of my car tonight.I dont hate Cratloe road hoggers,in particular,I hate them all over the country,I just happened to be coming that road when I met them,I would have wriiten it about any road I was travelling on,it just so happened to be that road this evening...

If I didn't like Cratloe women I could have easily bounced a couple of them off the bonnet of my car tonight.I dont hate Cratloe road hoggers,in particular,I hate them all over the country,I just happened to be coming that road when I met them,I would have wriiten it about any road I was travelling on,it just so happened to be that road this evening...
    Clonlara then??Just joking:D.I get you.Roads are narrow around there and some of the "locals" think the roads are foothpaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,458 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So people can't drive such that they can stop in the distance they can see to be clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

A lot of pedestrians have no road sense at all and walk with their backs to on-coming traffic - I was always taught this to be a definite no-no! (apart from bends when you sometimes have to walk on the other side to be seen i.e with your back to on-coming traffic, but FREQUENTLY looking behind to ensure that drivers have seen you and, if necessary, you have to stop and stand as far in to the verge as possible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That's a terrible road, the Sixmilebridge/Cratloe as far as the last railway bridge. There's absolutely no hard shoulder yet I see people risking their lives out walking this daily.

And living in Cratloe I don't understand why these people don't head for the Woods to do their walk, I often drive up there regularly, park the car and walk the old obstacle course, lovely scenery, fresher air and most importantly safe from cars.

Of course they are well within their rights to walk this road but common sense says stay away unless you have a deathwish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Jim Martin wrote: »
    A lot of pedestrians have no road sense at all and walk with their backs to on-coming traffic - I was always taught this to be a definite no-no! (apart from bends when you sometimes have to walk on the other side to be seen i.e with your back to on-coming traffic, but FREQUENTLY looking behind to ensure that drivers have seen you and, if necessary, you have to stop and stand as far in to the verge as possible)

I see that a lot.
    Cyclists on the dual carriageway, actually cycling ON the left lane, despite there being a hard shoulder a mile wide. Cyclists on bendy backroads cycling two abreast.
    Some of the worst of it is going on the R525 from Daly's Cross to O'Brien's Bridge. (go home that way sometimes, shorter than motorway and no toll, and if they toll Ennis, this will become my default route along with many, many others)
    That road is quite narrow, has no hard shoulder, quite a bit of traffic on it and a lot of trucks.
    And you will see tons of people on it, walking in groups, taking the dog for a walk, out for a stroll with a pram, etc...
    I mean, WTF?!
    It's probably the entitlement thinking, I Have A Right To Be Here!
    Yes you do, and you can write that on your gravestone.
    And the argument would be "any motorist should drive in such a manner to be able to stop" and they should, but motorists are human and this is not a perfect world, so accidents happen.
    Part of the blame lies with motorists who cannot stop, part of it with the pedestrians who think "everyone must pay attention to me and therefore nothing bad can ever happen to me", but the biggest part is the road design that follows the logic of "right, if we jam cars, trucks, cyclists and pedestrians into the same space with no room for all of them, everyone will be fine and nothing bad can ever happen".
    In every other country I've been in, there will be a separate roadway beside the road, sometimes with a crash barrier between them, so cars can't plow into it.
    This roadway then sometimes has a dividing line, separating pedestrians and cyclists.
    It is simply insanity not to do this, but Ireland was not designed with pedestrians in mind. Or rather, Ireland was not designed. it is simply random roads and buildings thrown up by anyone who knew the right people, who will then leave your application in a bottom drawer for six months so people think there's some kind of planning process at work. Then they fish it out and approve or reject it depending on their mood, whatever stamp lies handy, the weather, the allignment of the plantes, or whatever decision making process won't keep them from their coffee break.
    And don't tell me there's some kind of rational process going on. I mean, just look at the place!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In every other country I've been in, there will be a separate roadway beside the road, sometimes with a crash barrier between them, so cars can't plow into it.
    This roadway then sometimes has a dividing line, separating pedestrians and cyclists.
    It is simply insanity not to do this, but Ireland was not designed with pedestrians in mind. Or rather, Ireland was not designed.

Exactly what countries have you been in? I can't imagine that every single place you've visited has a road-design to suit pedestrians in what are, essentially, very rural areas.

Exactly what countries have you been in? I can't imagine that every single place you've visited has a road-design to suit pedestrians in what are, essentially, very rural areas.

Well, Sweden and Germany spring to mind.
    You will always see a separate walk/cycle way beside the road, separated sometimes by a crash barrier, this way cyclists and pedestrians are kept out of harms way.
    I know it is difficult to provide this infrastructure with the current economic climate and the way a lot of roads where built to begin with.
    But in the long run some solution will have to be found to provide safe walk/cycle paths even in rural areas.
    Maybe it's just a matter of signposting, there are many tiny backroads that could be used instead of main roads, along with building more cycle/walkways alongside busy mainroads.
    If an entire motorway network can be built out of nothing within 10 years, I'm sure it could be possible to provide more walkways as well, certainly not overnight, but you got to start somewhere.
    Ennis to Lahinch would be a good start, cycling on that road cannot be considered safe.
    This would not only be safer for locals, but would attract a lot of tourists, many of which would love to do walking/cycling tours of Ireland, I'm sure this is an investment that would pay for itself.

Cyclists on the dual carriageway, actually cycling ON the left lane, despite there being a hard shoulder a mile wide.
    It is illegal to cycle on the hard shoulder.

Victor wrote: »
    It is illegal to cycle on the hard shoulder.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

As far as I know it's actually motorways that's it's illegal to cycle on

You are using wikipedia as a primary source. :rolleyes:

As far as I know it's actually motorways that's it's illegal to cycle on

Deffo, hard shoulder or not.
    Illegal or not, any cyclist who cycles on the driving lane of a dual carriageway should be locked up in a padded cell since he is obviously depressed and wants to commit suicide.
    As I so often say, you can write "I Am Entitled To Be Here!" on your gravestone if you do that.
    And Victor, your primary source your say so?

VICTOR, with all due respect I am just wondering do you actually know the stretch of road in question?

Victor wrote: »
    So people can't drive such that they can stop in the distance they can see to be clear?

Yes thankfully all of us drivers that came across these four women,had them spotted and we stopped,the problem was that the women were four abreast and refused to make any effort to let the vehicles pass by them safely.Just to clear up in case you didn't understand the point I was trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Illegal or not, any cyclist who cycles on the driving lane of a dual carriageway should be locked up in a padded cell since he is obviously depressed and wants to commit suicide.

Mod hat on for a moment: that's a rather insensitive thing to say. Suicide and depression are not things to be made light of. Please keep that in mind when posting here. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't see the point in keeping this thread open, the Ops wanted to bring to folks attention the follisness of a group of folks in Cratloe and now the thread is descending into a debate on road systems and mental illness, both of which subjects have their own sub forums.

I would also like to point out that mental illness/depression/suicide are topics that I have a very personal interest in and which I take a very dim view of people using in a flippant manner, @Dr. Fuzzenstein feel very lucky that IO replied to you first, you would have gotten a ban from me for that comment.

Mental illness is just that, an illness, you wouldn't say someone needs chemotherapy because they do something. Depression is a state which impacts almost 100% of people, I would say that almost all Irish people are impacted by it in some way. Suicide is a permanent solution to an immediate problem and again, most Irish people have been impacted by it in some way.

If anyone thinks I'm being overly harsh or abusing my mod "powers" feel free to open a topic in the feedback forum and allow the higher up judge my actions. You can also PM me of course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement