Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds in Temple Bar - Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 23-07-2011 3:23am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it has become knowledge to me that McDonalds is planning to open a large outlet in in Temple Bar. What do AHers make of this proposal? Yay to the Golden Arches as it will provide much needed soakage for the booze that's consumed there en masse?

Or nay - the final nail in the coffin of Dublin's erstwhile cultural quarter?

MaccyDs in Temple Bar? 75 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 75 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To be fair, it can't actually get much worse. They need to reduce the amount of pubs and restaurants generally and allow other retail uses. There is provision in the development plan for rejecting any additional pubs and restaurants, but I can't see how they are going to get rid of existing ones and conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Temple is nuts it would not make much difference really if it was or wasnt there

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

It'll fit in perfectly with the rest of the crappy tourist places there already,am surprised its taken them so long to open up there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Surprised anybody is concerned by this. McDonalds would fit right in with the ambience and tone of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No, we need to reverse the rot in Temple Bar, not add to it. There is still some hope for the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Temple Bar is a dump anyway, has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wouldn't make any difference at all,there's already an Abrakebabra there too so I don't see what the problem is.

Temple Bar isn't a cultural quarter,it's where stupid people go to get pissed every weekend and fight.
    The pubs and restaurants in TB probably don't want a McDonalds there because they'd be forced to lower their rip off food prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yea cos "we" all own temple bar :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Bit ridiculous in general. I can count at least 5 McDonalds that are within a five minute walk of Temple Bar. 4 being Northside and 1 Southside. No need for a 6th one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

No - McDonald's food is disgusting.
    The only time I would eat that muck is if I was drunk. So actually it probably makes sense to have one in Temple Bar , but I would prefer if there was less McDonalds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Temple Bar isn't a cultural quarter

I was at two exhibitions there last week. Loads going on during the day in Temple Bar, just cause you see it at night and make a judgement doesn't mean that all it is.

Anyone see the outdoor portrait poster one going on at the moment? Really nice stuff.

I don't think McDonalds is suitable for Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Well i for one support this 100%!! i do usually be close enough to temple bar on a night out and i have to trek down to grafton street to get food which is a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Redlion wrote: »
    Bit ridiculous in general. I can count at least 5 McDonalds that are within a five minute walk of Temple Bar. 4 being Northside and 1 Southside. No need for a 6th one.

Maybe 5 minutes running but this is to accommodate people who are hammered!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I'd rather Burger King

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I would figure they would be looking at the premises left by the closure of the Bad Ass Cafe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

It's the Marco Pierre White/Frankie Detorri place on the corner of Temple Bar Square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 badboyblake

latenia wrote: »
    It's the Marco Pierre White/Frankie Detorri place on the corner of Temple Bar Square

Oh God that square is really ruined now - though it might concentrate the filth in one area I suppose.

I'd love to see Pret A Monger open up in Ireland - really nice coffee, salads and sambos.
    http://www.pret.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

name them as i call shenanigans
    Redlion wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Skerries wrote: »
    Jervis St
    O'Connell St (2)
    Grafton St

hmm... Ilac centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I was at two exhibitions there last week. Loads going on during the day in Temple Bar, just cause you see it at night and make a judgement doesn't mean that all it is.

Anyone see the outdoor portrait poster one going on at the moment? Really nice stuff.

I don't think McDonalds is suitable for Temple Bar.

I worked there,days and nights for nearly two years and the only 'culture' I ever saw was mascots of tourist pubs dressed as leprechauns,drug addicts fighting and roaring abuse at each other and pissed English and Irish people drinking,fighting,urinating and defecating on the streets.

How can McDonalds not be suitable when there is an Abrekabra and was a Subway already there in TB?It would hardly lower the tone of the area.

• Advertisement

I live in Temple Bar Area, and I would hate to see McD's come in. There's already plenty (of Mcd's) around, but the smell alone on grafton st is rank. No need to make TB smell worse! No need for it there, and it won't add to the area at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If it does go ahead, they should do what they do in places like Venice where they can't have any bright golden arches or any of their other decor out front. The shop front must blend in with the rest of the buildings surrounding it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If it does go ahead, they should do what they do in places like Venice where they can't have any bright golden arches or any of their other decor out front. The shop front must blend in with the rest of the buildings surrounding it.
    This works quite well in Venice. It doesn't feel nearly as tacky as it might have otherwise.
    Of course Temple Bar kind of is tacky so I'm not sure I'd care much either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I worked there,days and nights for nearly two years and the only 'culture' I ever saw was mascots

You must have some set of blinkers on. Here, take an education.

http://www.templebargallery.com/

http://www.galleryofphotography.ie/

http://pix.ie/Bohoe/2439359

http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/f_season1_07.asp?SID=42

http://www.clynegallery.com/

http://www.graphicstudiodublin.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Wht not a burdochs there ...thats more what the tourists come to Ireland for ? Ye can get a McDonalds anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Skerries wrote: »
    Phasers named them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

As a resident of Temple Bar I'm very much against this. Temple Bar is a bit of mess but it still retains some of it's unique character and there's no need to make a bad situation even worse.

(That said I do find the Tesco dead handy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Yay. They will fit right in with the other tourist traps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gudwan

gigino wrote: »
    Wht not a burdochs there ...thats more what the tourists come to Ireland for ? Ye can get a McDonalds anywhere

There is a Burdock's, just off the square there.

Not likely for the DCC to act sensibly like that. Here's an extended thread on the lack of regulations pertaining to shopfronts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

D wrote: »
    Yay. They will fit right in with the other tourist traps.

Yes because filling medieval parts of Irelands heritage with American Fast Food outlets and or British Supermarket Chains is exactly what our tourist traps need.

Dublin, on a whole, needs more independent stores around the city. Most definitely not more fast food outlets.

Advertisement