Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Met Eireann's Forecast For This Week ??

• 23-07-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭

Met Eireann are forecasting a mainly unsettled week coming up with rain on Monday, Wednesday and Friday according to their radio broadcast.
    Wtf is this about. To me it looks a glorious week after Monday with exceptional heat likely in any sunshine. Also winds look very very light which will make it feel even warmer. In fact next weeks charts are not far off heatwave material. All we need a slight nudge East by the adjacent high.

Anyone else concur are am I reading the wrong charts??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

It depends where you are .... east looks okay west looks crap (forecast) I think they try to do some kind of balancing act :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

weisses wrote: »
    It depends where you are .... east looks okay west looks crap (forecast) I think they try to do some kind of balancing act :D

West looks warm with very light winds, with patchy rain on Wed night.
    Now that's 100% improvement in what we got all Summer and is far from ****

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

Met Eireann are forecasting a mainly unsettled week coming up with rain on Monday, Wednesday and Friday according to their radio broadcast.
    Wtf is this about. To me it looks a glorious week after Monday with exceptional heat likely in any sunshine. Also winds look very very light which will make it feel even warmer. In fact next weeks charts are not far off heatwave material. All we need a slight nudge East by the adjacent high.

Anyone else concur are am I reading the wrong charts??

How about you do a full weeks indept forecast for everyone here so we can compare it to Met Eireanns.
    Are you using the same equipment and weather charts that they have access too or do you imagine they sit in a small office waiting for the 12z GFS to roll out on netweather.
    The Met Eireann bashing is getting tiresome now.

Ok here's mine.

Monday: Brightening up during the day after early rain clears and sunny by evening. Quite warm with very light winds. Temps 18-23C

Tuesday: Warm and sunny with light winds. Temps increasing further with highs of 19-25C

Wednesday: Staring warm and sunny and remaining so in Eastern areas. Further West it will cloud over in the afternoon with a little light rain and drizzle Wed evening and night.Temps 19-25C

Thursday will gradually brighten from the west again and be quite sunny by evening time. A fresher less humid feel but still with temps up to 19-23C

Friday and next weekend look like becoming very wamr or even hot with temps climbing upto the high 20's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Interesting contrast in forecasts between MT and Met Eireann especially from Wednesday. Lets hope MT is right ;)

MT Forecast

OUTLOOK ... Sunny and rather (possibly very) warm in east, central and inland south, cloudy and warm or at least mild in west and north. Highs could reach 24-27 C given some of the guidance this morning, but the best compromise would be 22-25 for the eventual range, in regions not affected by cooler marine air on the west coast mainly. There are maps in this 5-7 day period that have rather odd looking patterns of upper temperatures so I suspect the outcome may be slightly different again as we get closer. The warmest part of this warm spell now appears to be more like the end of the week and the weekend of 30-31 July.

Met Eireann Forecast

Mostly dry and sunny at first on Wednesday, but rain is expected to develop in western counties during the morning and will spread steadily eastwards during the afternoon and evening. By the time rain reaches the east coast, amounts will be small, and rain will then die out overnight, leaving all areas dry. Thursday looks like being a fresh day with a mixture of sunny spells and scattered showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

"The odd sunny day, bits of rain and wind, and plenty of clouds, don't expect any setted weather" tends to be my forecast for every summer, every year until I die, unless I moved to another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well Evelyn made it quite clear in previous forecasts that there will be no heatwave next week but there will be a rise in temperatures

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0722/weather.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Pangea wrote: »
    Well Evelyn made it quite clear in previous forecasts that there will be no heatwave next week but there will be a rise in temperatures

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0722/weather.html
    A mildwave so to speak? God we're so conservative:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

If I were a public weather reporter/forecaster I'd be careful never to say anything definite because as we all know the weather can change pattern over a short period.

Well for this week so far I think my forecast isn't far out.
    Tomorrow's rain looks like it as regards ppn for this week.
    Sometimes Met Eireann go too far and as Joe Public suggests above they should be more careful when they are in the public eye. Today was very warm in sunshine with temps here up tp 23C

They pretend to know it all, and instead they should admit if the charts are constantly chopping that there is doubt in the forecast. Quite often you hear the beeb say this and indeed curtail looking too far ahead when doubt exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I dont believe met eireann any more since i joined here i trust MT There was an report in the papers the other day where M E said it was going to be a fabulous day and it lashed rain and ME made an apology on air keep up the good work M T

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Siobhan Ryan just said on 930pm weather that today was "exceptionally mild". I really do not understand how she can make such a comment. Today was a pleasant warm summers day. But how was it exceptionally mild?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It probably means it was warm in Galway with the sun blazing down on the races live on RTE and all ....and not so warm in Dublin .....meaning she is sort of apologising again.

inabina wrote: »
    Siobhan Ryan just said on 930pm weather that today was "exceptionally mild". I really do not understand how she can make such a comment. Today was a pleasant warm summers day. But how was it exceptionally mild?

Agree, mild was and should be a word reserved for Winter months.
    In Summer the term 'warm' applies to anything over about 18C.
    I suppose by downplaying the heat today it keeps their forecast of last Sunday somewhat right.
    For the amount of charts that they have at their disposal they qre quite disgraceful at times. Anyone could see a week ago that this week was going to be a warm one and indeed going by what has preceded it quite a notable one.

This isn't Met bashing it's nonsensical bashing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I invite readers to check the "comments" thread (in a few minutes) for my perspective on these matters.

Just one general comment here, the warmth is fragile when it comes from the southwest and has to interact with the Atlantic all the way. As a forecaster, I wish the warm weather would always come from the southeast because that's a more "cut and dried" situation. But whenever there's a significant difference in thinking, either between ME and yours truly, or the major models, the best solution is often a compromise. Sometimes not, but usually the truth lies in the middle of various opinions. JS had a pretty good read on the situation too, I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What's this "MT" weather service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

Agree, mild was and should be a word reserved for Winter months.
    In Summer the term 'warm' applies to anything over about 18C.
    I suppose by downplaying the heat today it keeps their forecast of last Sunday somewhat right.
    For the amount of charts that they have at their disposal they qre quite disgraceful at times. Anyone could see a week ago that this week was going to be a warm one and indeed going by what has preceded it quite a notable one.

This isn't Met bashing it's nonsensical bashing!!

I think you missed inabia's point. I think his point (which I would totally agree with) was that today only reached 20 -21 degrees in most parts of the country. Bearing in mind that the average high for Ireland in late July is 19 degrees, this shouldn't be classified as exceptionally mild, merely seasonal or pleasant in the sun etc. Personally, I certainly wouldn't agree that a July temp of 18 degrees should be classified as warm.

The only bit of Met E Bashing I'm going to do on here is that I think they are totally inconsistent with the use of adjectives to describe the weather. One day they'll be describing 20 degrees as exceptionally mild, the next week as seasonal, and then the next week as fresh. I mean surely they could have a simple rule that stated only temps which are 5 degrees or so above average can be described as exceptianally mild and those that are five below as exceptionally cold etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

inabina wrote: »

Mild is average to slightly above average. With the cool summer just gone 18c to 22c feels warm... Back in 1995's summer this would have been a cold day, it's all about perspective!

I think these runs of bad summers are making people cranky! :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Solair wrote: »
    What's this "MT" weather service?

M T is our weather buff and generally right.

Btw is lashing rain in cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Met Eireann didnt do so bad as it turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I agree they on the button with the forecast down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

200motels wrote: »

+1 Credit where credit is due they were pretty much spot on re the conditions we've had in Galway all week too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭compsys

Fionagus wrote: »
    200motels wrote: »

+1 Credit where credit is due they were pretty much spot on re the conditions we've had in Galway all week too :)
    Yep, while a 'heatwave' was being forecast on here Met E calmly stuck to their guns and correctly predicted the merely mild and showery weather we've had all week. Even Wed they were correctly predicting this mornings rain in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

If there is one thing to be learned from this week, is that don't diss any forecast before the forecast period has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

More sh1te coming all week. If you like slightly clammy overcast weather with spells of rain this is your week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Maybe they'll get this one wrong :(

Advertisement