Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Themed Party

Options
  • 23-07-2011 10:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm planning on throwing a Mexican themed party. Not sure of the numbers as of yet but thinking around 30-40.

Does anyone have any suggestions regards catering?

I plan to cook a big pot of chilli con carne and rice, then just lay out a load of tortillas, and salad...lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos etc. and let everyone build their own burritos.

Maybe have a large vat of a cocktail made up, a beer full of fridge and plenty of tequila, salt, lemon, lime.

I was just wondering about nachos as a starter? What's the best way to do these. I'm sure not everyone will arrive at the same time so no point having a load of melted cheese going cold and rubbery. Should I just pop enough for 5 or so people in the oven at a time or what would be best?

Any other ideas, for food, drink, games etc. would be greatly appreciated!

(This is a fundraising event so have a budget of around 150-200 or so excluding 3 litres of tequila already bought!)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My favourite Mexican dish to make for lots of people is carnitas (slow cooked spicy pork shoulder), you serve it with tortillas, salsa, cheese etc. It's great because pork shoulder is pretty cheap, my local butchers sells them @ around €10/€13 a pop and they weigh in at nearly 2 kilos. It's ridulously tasty, the only problem with it is that by the time I serve it I've 'tasted' so much pork I'm about to burst. I normally go by this recipe but swap out the different chili powders for whatever chili powder I happen to have in the house or for a couple of chipotles in the pot

I love your big pot o'chili idea as well though, just make sure to have lots & lots of salsa, guacamole, cheese etc. to go with it. Salsa & guacamole are really simple to make by yourself (I have a couple of seriously simple recipes for them if you want)

I think you're right about the nachos, that they might go a bit cold & chewy if people are arriving at different times. You could just do plates of chips & dips instead? Having said that most people I know will still eat nachos if they're cold & chewy :)

Have a look at this blog for Mexican deliciousness, she's a Mexican lady living in Ireland & has some great recipes including one for homemade margherita sours if you want to put the tequila to good use :)

Oh, and I've seen pinatas in a couple of party shops recently if you're looking for party games!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

MissFlitworth, I'd love your guacamole recipe, thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Twenty10 wrote: »
    MissFlitworth, I'd love your guacamole recipe, thanks in advance!

I probably shouldn't have called it a recipe seeing as it has about 3 ingredients in it & one of those is salt but here we go :) (I got this at a cooking class in Azteca in Dublin)

Ripe Avocados (I normally go 1 per person because I am a guac-piggy)
    A Lime
    Salt
    Salsa/Pico de Gallo (optional)

Scoop avocado flesh into bowl & mash with a fork or little potato masher (I leave it a little chunky, prefer it that way than a paste), sprinkle with salt & squeeze over lime juice. Mix in the salt & lime juice & taste, add more for preference. I start out with the juice of half a lime/per 2 avocados & add more if it doesn't taste tart enough for me. The lime juice stops it from going brown as well as making it taste lovely.

You can also mix a couple of tablespoons of salsa through it but I don't bother with that. I have a friend who knows her Mexican food who also throws in a tablespoon or so of sour cream but I also don't bother with that (the only benefit I can see from doing it is that the guacamole goes the same colour as kermit the frogs pelt!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My favourite Mexican dish to make for lots of people is carnitas (slow cooked spicy pork shoulder)

+1 on the pork shoulder. It's ridiclously easy to make and the taste return is top notch! My only recommendation to add to any pulled pork recipe is cut the pork into medium chunks when marinating/cooking - you'll get better flavour permeation. And ask the butcher to take the skin off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is pretty interesting and will have people talking.
    Wasn't too sure what to make of it at the time but in hindsight I loved it and will definitely make it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Mojito's & strawberry margaritas are the way to go on the drinks. :)

nacho's are great, but fiddly to do properly, unless you just want to feck them all in on top of each other and add a heap of refried beans, salsa and/or guacamole, then cheese & under the grill.

you can do them individually, but they're a bit of a PITA tbh and if not everyone is going to be there at once then it might not work.

buffalo wings are always popular as a finger food. i know its (a lot) more tex mex than proper mexican, but it's hard to resist some proper buffalo wings. :)

there's a great thread hanging round here on the best ways to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

vibe666 wrote: »
    Mojito's & strawberry margaritas are the way to go on the drinks. :)

Why would you serve Mojitos at a Mexican party they are Cuban?

Regular lime margarita for me please no sweet strawberry crap, maybe some tequila slammers and Dos Equis on the beer front although the ubiquitous Corona would probably be more expected.

A piñata can be fun especially if it's an all ages party.

Sopapilla or deep friend ice cream for dessert.

SBWife wrote: »
    Why would you serve Mojitos at a Mexican party they are Cuban?
    how about because they're tasty? it's not like the mexican party police are going to come round and arrest you for doing it is it? :confused:

maybe strawberry margarita's wouldn't suit a bunch of booze snobs, but most regular people tend to like them just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vibe666 wrote: »
    buffalo wings are always popular as a finger food. i know its (a lot) more tex mex than proper mexican, but it's hard to resist some proper buffalo wings. :)

Buffalo wings, are great finger food but can they still be called Tex-Mex if they are from New York?

Mellor wrote: »
    Buffalo wings, are great finger food but can they still be called Tex-Mex if they are from New York?
    who cares, they're tasty.

jesus it's like the spanish inquisition in here. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I never said they weren't tasty, just pointing out that they aren't mexican.
    The OP has a "themed" party, if it was just a normal party it would be fine, as would lots of other stuff. Judging from the effort in the OP, and the fact that it's a fundraiser, it sounds likes they want it to be authentic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lighten up people! Do these guys look like they give a toss whether there's Mojito's or wings at this Mexican Party? I think not.

3_amigos.jpg

vibe666 is trying to give the OP a few ideas. From here on we'll leave to the OP to decide on whether the advice is appreciated or not & the rest of ye can give it a break.

tHB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

My favourite Mexican dish to make for lots of people is carnitas (slow cooked spicy pork shoulder), you serve it with tortillas, salsa, cheese etc. It's great because pork shoulder is pretty cheap, my local butchers sells them @ around €10/€13 a pop and they weigh in at nearly 2 kilos. It's ridulously tasty, the only problem with it is that by the time I serve it I've 'tasted' so much pork I'm about to burst. I normally go by this recipe but swap out the different chili powders for whatever chili powder I happen to have in the house or for a couple of chipotles in the pot

I love your big pot o'chili idea as well though, just make sure to have lots & lots of salsa, guacamole, cheese etc. to go with it. Salsa & guacamole are really simple to make by yourself (I have a couple of seriously simple recipes for them if you want)

I think you're right about the nachos, that they might go a bit cold & chewy if people are arriving at different times. You could just do plates of chips & dips instead? Having said that most people I know will still eat nachos if they're cold & chewy :)

Have a look at this blog for Mexican deliciousness, she's a Mexican lady living in Ireland & has some great recipes including one for homemade margherita sours if you want to put the tequila to good use :)

Oh, and I've seen pinatas in a couple of party shops recently if you're looking for party games!

Thanks a million for the advice and link.

And to everyone else! :)

As someone said the Theme party police won't be in action.

Buffalo wings are an idea. I plan to cook the chilli the night before and then just reheat on the day.

The pork shoulder sounds VERY interesting will defo look into it.

I plan to be going around with tequila doing slammers in groups of 4-5 or so. A way of bringing people together.

ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still trying to figure out what cocktail to give as people arrive.

Mojitos wouldn't work because I need something that can be made up in larger volumes. For me, a mojito, must have mint freshly crushed with ice, not the kind of thing that can be pre-prepared.

Seeing as there'll be tequila slammers I don't have any problem with a non-tequila based cocktail.

Maybe something with vodka or white rum that can be made in largish volume!!!??

Thanks again guys!!

How about making Sangria as a welcome drink?

How about making Sangria as a welcome drink?

Nice idea, but I've promised a cocktail...not sure Sangria qualifies as such, particularly amongst a group of thirsty Irish!

Margaritas would be traditional - have them mixed in pitchers, have the glasses salted and just pour over ice as people arrive.

Margaritas would be traditional - have them mixed in pitchers, have the glasses salted and just pour over ice as people arrive.

The general margarita ratios appear to be:

3 tequila: 1 premium triple sec : 2 lime juice

So if I have a litre of Tequila (which I will have) I would need 666mls of lime juice...That's a lot of lime squeezing! How would you go about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ebixa82 wrote: »
    The general margarita ratios appear to be:

3 tequila: 1 premium triple sec : 2 lime juice

So if I have a litre of Tequila (which I will have) I would need 666mls of lime juice...That's a lot of lime squeezing! How would you go about this??

I like : (and others have liked:D)
    2 Tequila
    1 Triple Sec
    1 lime/lemon juice mix (lemons are easier to juice!)

Buy a Mexican Elbow lime juicer in Meadows and Byrne they're on sale for €3.60 - they rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

It might be easier for you and your guests to do make your own tacos rather than burritos, which can get big and messy (and waste a lot if/when people don't finish them). You can still cook the fillings and everything ahead of time, but it won't go as fast.

For another topping, try chopping up a bowl of onions and fresh cilantro mixed up together. And be sure to have lots of chopped up limes to squeeze over everything.

A bowl of refried beans is also a dip option (and are traditionally spread on tacos).

Depending on how many people you are having over, you could make a tray of enchiladas ahead of time, and then pop them in the oven as people start to arrive. If you are feeling really adventurous, you can make stuffed chili peppers (they aren't spicy unless you make the filling spicy).

For drinks, you could make palomas: fill a glass with ice, put a lime in it, a tiny pinch of salt, then 2oz tequila, 1oz lime juice, and fill with grapefruit soda. Another option which isn't really Mexican but you can make a lot of are pina coladas. The key ingredient here is coconut cream. You can mix the pineapple, coconut and rum ahead of time, but don't blend it with ice until people are ready to drink, or it will start to separate.

Buen provecho!

• Advertisement

has anyone suggested trying to rent out a slush puppy machine to make frozen cocktails?

i got married in portugal last year and there was a machine in the poolside bar that we used to empty out almost daily due to frequent trips to the local off licence to buy bottles of vodka. yes, probably not very mexican either, but you could make an authentic mexican style cocktail and fill the machine with that. :)

Advertisement