Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C HL English Paper 1 Book?

• 23-07-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Just a quick thread, just want to know does anyone know of any good revision books that deal specifically with Paper 1?. I already have a good book for Paper 2 but would like to have a books to revise stuff for Paper 1 (even though there's not a lot you can revise).

Thanks in advance!

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

Theres a book i used this year called "This is paper 1". It was good in my opinion :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Shortcuts to Success: English Essay Writing is quite good (for paper 2 as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The very best preparation for Paper I is to read, read, read - newspapers, blogs, magazines, diaries, novels, letters, essays, opinion pieces, instructions, editorials....

Set yourself a task every week to read a certain amount. The Sunday papers would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

English Paper 1 - the only paper you CANNOT study for

Seriously, all you have to go on is layout, language, audience etc for the Part B and a good standard of writing for the Composition.

It's impossible to put hours and hours into studying for Paper 1, it's a "Writing" paper, some people are natural writers, others are not

As deemark said read, read and read some more. The group of us in my English class who always got decent grades, had more books under our belts than the rest of the class combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

bscm wrote: »
    English Paper 1 - the only paper you CANNOT study for

Seriously, all you have to go on is layout, language, audience etc for the Part B and a good standard of writing for the Composition.

It's impossible to put hours and hours into studying for Paper 1, it's a "Writing" paper, some people are natural writers, others are not

As deemark said read, read and read some more. The group of us in my English class who always got decent grades, had more books under our belts than the rest of the class combined

I hope people don't read that and interpret it as 'oh so I can do f all for paper 1'!

You can't study but you can never do enough reading texts and practicing writing.

• Advertisement

I hope people don't read that and interpret it as 'oh so I can do f all for paper 1'!

You can't study but you can never do enough reading texts and practicing writing.

No, no, that's not what I meant to imply :D

What I'm talking about are those people (like myself) who have folders/notebooks of notes for each paper, but only a couple of sheets for English Paper 1.

There is only the Part B to revise, the essays cannot be memorised as the examiner will know and it was near impossible for the people this year to fit an essay which they had memorised into one of the titles.

In comparison to every other paper, the Part B notes I have were memorised by heart by Christmas and we continued to look at various styles of writing in class, leaving virtually nothing to go over at home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yup, agree with Ciara, the best thing for English paper 1 is to keep up your reading and practice your writing. Make sure to take on board constructive criticism from your teacher, or maybe even friends when you write essays. Try writing some essays of different genres (speeches, short stories, articles, formal, informal, humorous, serious, etc), and play to your strenghts in the exam (if you're good at serious speeches, try to do one in the exam! :P).

Practice QA comprehensions by doing past years. QB is kinda like a smaller essay except you usually have a more specific objective. What's good for practicing essays (writing and reading lots) is good for QB. For QA it's generally helpful to remember some adjectives to describe the specific writing styles.

That's it really. I've found English Paper 1 preparation books to be fairly unhelpful. They're usually just a collection of reading material from different genres, and note this and that about their writing style.

jumpguy wrote: »
    I've found English Paper 1 preparation books to be fairly unhelpful. They're usually just a collection of reading material from different genres, and note this and that about their writing style.

The worst one I had was Shortcuts to Success which gave you samples of essays/PartB's. You finish reading a piece to find it had gotten a C3, but you end up subconsciously using some of the phrases/language which got it the C3 because you had read it and part of your brain during 6th Year is somehow programmed into thinking 'any notes are good notes' :)

Advertisement