Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac worth buying

Options
  • 23-07-2011 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi. I have an opportunity to buy an second hand i Mac. Its for web design work (nothing massively cpu intensive) and im wondering if its worth while.
    Here are the specs:

iMac 24 inch Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz 4096 / 1000 GB / superdrive
    its 2 years old

The price is 850.
    I heard that anything with Core 2 Duo is just to slow nowadays. Is that true?
    But the real question is are the specs worth the price?

Hope you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Looks a bit steep to me. You can buy a brand new 21.5" with 500GB HDD for 1,149, that's just 300 euros extra for a brand new machine, faster processor (quad-core i5) and 12 months warranty, a complete no-brainer if you ask me.

If you compare the price being ask for to a new 27" it probably looks good but if you don't need the bigger screen you'd be mad not to buy new or knock the guy down closer to 600. Play up the value of the warranty on the new box as part of your haggling. He is probably quoting 850 as a % of what he paid for the box and trying to convince you that you're getting a bargain, you should be comparing 850 to the price of a new box and using this to push him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BTW, you should have posted that on the Mac forum, this forum is all about iPods and iPhones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thejamesone

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I just realized and was trying to delete it and start a new one on the Mac forum.
    Sorry I'm new.
    I don't suppose there is an easy way to move it across?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

One of the mods should do it for you.if your in a town have a look at the iMac in the shops this will let you play around with the quad core processor etc then compare it the one your looking at so you will see the difference in speed etc happy buying.
    ps if it was me I would go new too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

sounds very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Very dear, an almost new core i3 21.5 went for 780 on adverts not so long ago.

Advertisement