Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are college balls better than the Debs

Options
  • 23-07-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

My debs is coming up in just over a month and I always get people telling me how much of a rite of passage it is.

I was wondering are college balls (in your experience) worse, better or the same as the debs?

I'm looking forward to mine but presumably college balls are better because in most cases the debs is the last time you are out with friends you made in secondary school whereas the majority of people find college friends to be friends for life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

I wouldn't agree with the friends statement. I'm still really close to the friends I made in secondary school. Whilst contact was sparse with the ones that went to college in other parts of the country for a few years, once we all finished college and had money to visit each other, the friendships picked up where they left off.

As for the difference in the balls, I would say there is none. I've been to three debs and four college balls and they all basically come down to food, dance, after party.

I guess the debs is a big deal for alot of people because it is the first ball they will have gone to. This is more true for girls as it will be their first time getting "done up" to such an extent. Other than that......

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

I spent 6 years in college. 4 for a BA and 2 for a MA. I went to 11 different balls in that time. 6 clubs and socs awards and 5 arts balls (4 of which I had to help organize and promote). Its always a lot more fun when you have to help organize it I think. You also dont have to hide your hangover/drunkenss from your parents the next day!
    It used to bother me when I was in school that I never got asked to the debs and only went to my own one. Nobody really asks anyone to college one. everybody just goes and theres no pressure of having to bring sombody.

I still had a good night at my school one, but college was way better!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

College dos are better.

Your debs will be a mess.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

You haven't gotten to college yet so just take the debs now have a ball and don't worry about the college ones now.

In my experience I ended up in a course with tossers so any events like that weren't special, my life had changed drastically over that summer between school and college so just be in the moment and enjoy it without analysing and comparing because you never know how things will be in the future.

In short, if you have great friends the ball will be amazing no matter how sh*t the actual event is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JessyMc

In short .............. YES!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

College dos are much more laid back, less fuss, less limos, no pressure to bring a date or get photos taken, your not expected to go in the same way, its a choice for those who have time.
    better in my opinion

Advertisement