Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mensheds.ie

• 23-07-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Just listened to an item on Newstalk about mensheds.ie

It seems it's originally an Australian idea that has spread over here. On the face of it, it sounds like a good idea.

Has anyone here had/have an experience of this organisation ?

http://www.menssheds.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This actually sounds like a brilliant idea. It'd be excellent if it did take off here and became widely known and widely used.

Hopefully more information will come available as time goes on.

On the face of it, as mentioned above, it sounds like a most worthwhile venture.

It is true as it says that men bottle things up more, fail to talk about what's eating away at them and generally do find shows of emotion as 'weak' or 'less masculine'. Hopefully this can start to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I dont get this at all...! One minute it's about men in their sheds fixing furniture and lawn mowers and then it takes this huge leap into discussing men and their emotions and their mental health, wtf?!? :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: Sounds like the Freemasons without the rituals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

I dont get this at all...! One minute it's about men in their sheds fixing furniture and lawn mowers and then it takes this huge leap into discussing men and their emotions and their mental health, wtf?!?

EDIT: Sounds like the Freemasons without the rituals!

It's just a community centre. Like a book club but aimed towards men.

I think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Wow!!!!
    It sounds like a great idea. I hope there's one in south Dublin as I know of some men that would be interested in going.

Best of luck to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I'd normally be a bit cynical about stuff like this, but I'd actually join in. I think it sounds like a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Sounds like a brilliant idea in fairness.

I particularly like the comment on the page,
    men dont talk face to face,they talk shoulder to shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I particularly like the comment on the page

That comment stood out for me too. Seems like a great idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Great idea... But can't see it taking off beyond the pale... Irish men are notorious for bottling things up.

alex73 wrote: »
    Great idea... But can't see it taking off beyond the pale... Irish men are notorious for bottling things up.

Groups in Galway, Youghal and Cork City already, so bang goes that theory :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

This is a wicked idea, love it. Hopefully one'll be set up around Limerick, I'll be trundling to Cork and / or Galway at any rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

This seems like an interesting idea.

Do any of these sheds have inter-generational men's programs? It seems like a lot of the comments referred to retired men feeling like they didn't have much of a social role once they stopped working, but I would think that they would have a lot to offer younger men who are just starting out and may not have a father or an older man in their life who can offer guidance, advice or even just someone to talk to.

This seems like an interesting idea.

Do any of these sheds have inter-generational men's programs? It seems like a lot of the comments referred to retired men feeling like they didn't have much of a social role once they stopped working, but I would think that they would have a lot to offer younger men who are just starting out and may not have a father or an older man in their life who can offer guidance, advice or even just someone to talk to.

I would guess the point is that the shed is the program. The stereotype of men communicating with other men through sports, work, pints, fixin' stuff etc. is not without foundation, so the activities come first and that leads to the conversation.
    There have been men's groups in the past that were intended to be talking shops, but to the best of my knowledge they never really took off. I suppose the idea here is to not aim to start with the chat, but to provide a vehicle that will lead to the sort of situation you describe where older men have an outlet, feel less isolated and more useful, younger men get to learn from them, or maybe help them with new technolgies, find role models or new friends and if it happens to be 90% talking about building a bike or a set of shelves and 10% talking about other things, it's still 10% that might not have happened. And someone will have new shelves \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

To be honest I'd join just for the shed. Hankering for a shed. Anyone interested in splitting rent on a boardShed™ shared workshop in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I know im in a minority here but to me thats just wrong.

A shed, my shed, is mine, its my escape, my male domain where I can go to weld a car, fix a lawn mower, build a cabinet, work on teh car, BUt most importantly get away from the wife, the kids, the job, life and so something for me. Turn off off my head (or switch it over to something else).

From time to time a mate will join me while we work on a car, or so I can show him how to do something (or he can show me) such as tig weld, rebuild a brake caliper or 4 barrel carb etc and maybe, maybe, drink a beer.

The very though of it becoming a "club house" to talk about emtions and self worth makes me cringe.

Dont get me wrong, I fully appreciate the need for men to express their emotions (and a few such conversations have occured in my own shed but on a one to one basis, never group and certainly not planned or organised) and how had it can be for men to open up (myself included) but doing so in my shed would be like... I dont know.. just wrong......

By all means go ahead but not in a "mans" shed.. not a real one anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

knipex wrote: »

A shed, my shed, is mine, its my escape, my male domain where I can go to weld a car, fix a lawn mower, build a cabinet, work on teh car, BUt most importantly get away from the wife, the kids, the job, life and so something for me. Turn off off my head (or switch it over to something else).

From time to time a mate will join me while we work on a car, or so I can show him how to do something (or he can show me) such as tig weld, rebuild a brake caliper or 4 barrel carb etc and maybe, maybe, drink a beer.

The very though of it becoming a "club house" to talk about emtions and self worth makes me cringe.

Dont get me wrong, I fully appreciate the need for men to express their emotions (and a few such conversations have occured in my own shed but on a one to one basis, never group and certainly not planned or organised) and how had it can be for men to open up (myself included) but doing so in my shed would be like... I dont know.. just wrong......

Sorry Buddy, But I really dont think this has anything to do with 'your' shed Its more of a community project.

I think 'your' shed would remain intact in 'your' back garden, for you to tinker around all you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It's just a community centre. Like a book club but aimed towards men.

hey a book club! we should total.......actually...nvm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

knipex wrote:

I can see what you're saying. I think as a method for passing on skills, learning new craft tricks, or even new crafts or simply looking for advice it sounds great. But if someone started asking me about how I was feeling, I'd feel a bit odd to be honest.

I do think the idea is a good one and there's alot to be said for it but just as long as they don't have mandatory group talking sessions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

I thought this was a thought-provoking article on Men's Sheds and Men's Health:
    http://familyandcommunityviolenceprevention.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/brisbane-conference-amsa/
    (have just realised it's from 2011 but timeless article).

(I thought it might be reasonable to bring up this thread to post this?)
    International Men’s Sheds Festival 2014

This year, the International Men’s Sheds Festival will be hosted by the Irish Men’s Sheds Association (www.menssheds.ie). It will take place in Dublin (in The Helix Conference Centre within Dublin City University and in the Crowne Plaza Hotel), and will run from Friday 3rd - Sunday 5th October 2014. The focus will be upon 'Learning from Down Under', and the festival will include a conference, exhibitions, a 'Shed Crawl', and opportunities for networking. This event is free, but donations will be gratefully accepted. For more information, Email: info@menssheds.ie or Tel: 051 448725.

200th Men's Shed opens in Ireland, reports Ben Panter

http://issuu.com/changingireland/docs/changing_ireland__autumn_2014__issu/18

Also first ever Women's Shed opens (same page)

• Advertisement

(November 18 article)

Article includes research info.

Advertisement