Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin taxis

Options
  • 23-07-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to post.

I am staying in a hotel in ballsbridge tomorrow night and need to get back into bus aras around 7.30-8am on Monday morning. I am not too familar with the area so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable taxi service I could call? I'm sure the hotel could arrange it if I asked but would just rather do it myself.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

National Radio cabs are fantastic, I use them all the time myself & they never have let me down

PH 4544070

Or book online: radiocabs.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

if you have an andriod or iphone xpert digi taxis have an app that lets you book your taxi through it and you can track your taxi with GPS and the likes

there is also a fare estimator aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Walk outside the hotel and you will have 20 taxi's pass every minute,take youre pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Walk outside the hotel and you will have 20 taxi's pass every minute,take youre pick.

This ^^.

I was leaving a hotel this morning and someone was booking a cab, I remarked to the person I was with "People STILL ring for cabs!".

Don't waste your money on the booking fee, there's a huge over supply of taxi's in Dublin.

Just walk out and you won't be more than a minute or two getting a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Or just take a DART from Lansdowne Road to Connolly and walk back to Busaras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Thanks all :) ended up downloading that xpert taxis app and booked a taxi about 7.20am this morning, he phoned me at 7.28am to confirm he was on his way and picked me up three minutes later.
    It was a little more expensive than the taxi I got from busaras-ballsbridge (13 euros vs 10 euros) but he got me to the station just in time despite my leaving it late to leave the hotel so I appreciated it :)
    I probably could have hailed one down on the busy road across from the hotel but I was stuck for time and didn't want to take a chance.
    Thanks all! :)

edit: scratch that, feeling very ripped off. My boyfriend just text me and he hailed a taxi down (from outside the same hotel) a few minutes ago and it was just €6!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The 8pm-8am time slot is considered "anti-social" and would attract about a 30% markup on the daytime rates. Throw in a booking fee on top of that and the fare you paid probably not too much more than his one. If you were sitting in rush-hour traffic, the clock just keeps racking up.

I've no connection with the taxi industry, other than taking one every other day :) I remember feeling aggrieved when they made the cut-off time for "anti-social" hours 8pm (from 10pm) about 10 years back...WTF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dee. wrote: »
    Thanks all :) ended up downloading that xpert taxis app and booked a taxi about 7.20am this morning, he phoned me at 7.28am to confirm he was on his way and picked me up three minutes later.
    It was a little more expensive than the taxi I got from busaras-ballsbridge (13 euros vs 10 euros) but he got me to the station just in time despite my leaving it late to leave the hotel so I appreciated it :)
    I probably could have hailed one down on the busy road across from the hotel but I was stuck for time and didn't want to take a chance.
    Thanks all! :)

edit: scratch that, feeling very ripped off. My boyfriend just text me and he hailed a taxi down (from outside the same hotel) a few minutes ago and it was just €6!

Around €10 sounds about right from Busaras to Ballsbridge. Cant imagine it being as low as €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Alot to be said for just hailing a taxi in the street,no pick up charge for a start,plus you get to see the meter started in front of you.Alot of prebooked taxi journeys have the meter started before the taxi even gets to the customer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Alot to be said for just hailing a taxi in the street,no pick up charge for a start,plus you get to see the meter started in front of you.Alot of prebooked taxi journeys have the meter started before the taxi even gets to the customer!!

The meter should only be started at the appointed time.

The time the meter/journey started is printed on the receipt.

€6 from Ballsbridge to Busaras for the OP's BF sounds like a spoof, either way its for the Consumer Issues forum or Transport and Communications forum and not a DCF issue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement