Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defrosting frozen prawns

Options
  • 23-07-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I've got a bag of frozen cooked prawns but don't have much experience with cooking seafood (lapsed vegetarian). What's the best way to defrost them without killing myself? Or can they be cooked from frozen?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've seen Nigella Lawson throw frozen prawns into a dish she was cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

You can also defrost them in a bowl of cold water, or sit them in a colander letting the cold water run over them, shouldn't take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

As said above they can be safely cooked from frozen. Just add them into whatever dish you are cooking or onto a pan o their own with a little oil until piping hot through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Don't try putting the ones glazed in ice into a pan with hot oil and expecting them to fry - the ice will melt and you'll end up boiling them. I always let those defrost in a colander or sieve.

It's best done in the fridge, but in a sink works fine. They're not going to go off in the couple of hours you're defrosting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Klove

Thanks all. I thawed them in a bowl of cold water and used them to make a curry with tomatoes and coconut milk from eatlikeagirl.com. Delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i buy the 1kg bags of raw tiger prawns you get from asian supermarkets (very cheap, very big and tasty) and i always just leave them in a colander inside a bowl and run cold tap water on them for 10 minutes and they are perfect every time and no food poisoning here so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Klove wrote: »
    Thanks all. I thawed them in a bowl of cold water and used them to make a curry with tomatoes and coconut milk
    Probably would have been fine from frozen in a curry so, they would all be in direct contact with the hot sauce for a good while.

Now if you were trying to stir fry a lot of them the odd one might be left at the top of the pile by chance, even when stirred and it might still be a bit cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Klove

rubadub wrote: »
    Probably would have been fine from frozen in a curry so, they would all be in direct contact with the hot sauce for a good while.

[/QUOTE

I might try that in future, they ended up a tad rubbery from my zeal in preventing any gastro-disasters. Still pretty tasty though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Klove wrote: »

I might try that in future, they ended up a tad rubbery from my zeal in preventing any gastro-disasters. Still pretty tasty though!

If your frozen prawns are pink, then they have already been cooked, and they need no more than warming. A cold one is fine, though it might come as a surprise!

If they're grey then they are raw and need more care. They'll go pink as they cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you do get raw ones, you can make them go a lot further by slicing them vertically in half (like you'd cut a lobster down the middle) before cooking them as the separate halves will twist round like a pig's tail when you cook them and hold a lot of sauce etc. inside the twirls.

also, i think it looks quite nice on the plate. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement