Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does 'External' appear on my telephone when I get a call from someone I know?

Options
  • 23-07-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Why does 'External' appear on my telephone when I get a call from someone I know?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

Hi Worztron,

Thanks for post and apologies for delay.

Not absolutely sure why the word 'External' appears on your phone, though I assume it is a function of your phone set. Obviously if a call comes in from outside, it may show up as an 'External' call. If you received a call, or paged, through an intercom system in your house, I would assume your phone system would say 'Internal' call.

You may wish to refer to the actual operating manual of the phone set, and this may give more information on this.

Please let me know if have any problems making or receiving calls, or if there's any thing else I can help you with.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi Worztron,

Thanks for post and apologies for delay.

Not absolutely sure why the word 'External' appears on your phone, though I assume it is a function of your phone set. Obviously if a call comes in from outside, it may show up as an 'External' call. If you received a call, or paged, through an intercom system in your house, I would assume your phone system would say 'Internal' call.

You may wish to refer to the actual operating manual of the phone set, and this may give more information on this.

Please let me know if have any problems making or receiving calls, or if there's any thing else I can help you with.

Kind regards
    Ant

Hello Ant.
    No problem with the late reply. Ok, I will check the manual (if I can find it). :o

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is what our manual says (Eircom 6010 Siemens cordless phone).

If the caller's number is stored in your directory, you see his name.

1. Ringer icon
    2. Caller's number or name

Instead of the number, you see:

External Call, if no number is transmitted.
    Withheld, if the caller withholds his ID.
    Unavailable, if the caller has not requested caller ID.

Page 10 of the manual if you have this phone, but I presume that this might be fairly standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

This is what our manual says (Eircom 6010 Siemens cordless phone).

If the caller's number is stored in your directory, you see his name.

1. Ringer icon
    2. Caller's number or name

Instead of the number, you see:

External Call, if no number is transmitted.
    Withheld, if the caller withholds his ID.
    Unavailable, if the caller has not requested caller ID.

Page 10 of the manual if you have this phone, but I presume that this might be fairly standard.

Hi The Black Oil
    can you PM me your tel. number and I can check to see how service is set up. You may have caller id restriction set up.
    Tony

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

:confused:

I was posting that for Worztron. :)
    Have caller ID and we're ex-directory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

:confused:

I was posting that for Worztron. :)
    Have caller ID and we're ex-directory.
    :o er thanks The Black Oil, yes can see that... now, thanks.
    Tony

Advertisement