Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid Digiweb at all costs!

• 23-07-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I myself am a gamer, and recently got digiweb, the sales person said there was no download limit, which i believed but oh'well :/ anyways

I currently have a 60GB download limit, just playing games, surfing the internet and watching some streams per day i use around 3gb+ so this basically uses up my limit which dosen't allow me to download any games or such, which is a major problem.

If i go over my download limit, they throttle my connection untill i go below 80% of my usage, which basically means no internet for a week or so per month.

Here is a speed test for anybody interested

1398540290.png

And here is my usage, which i admit is quite high this month due to the fact i was downloading some games which i bought on the steam summer sale

mon0011e3e712a5.gif

tl;dr Digiweb has a really bad download limit compared to the likes of UPC etc, also if you pass it your connection gets throttled until you reach 80% of your allowed usage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All of which you should have known had you done even the slightest bit of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

Yes but sales person came to my house saying there was unlimited D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why would you trust a salesman! :) always check the T&Cs online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

mike65 wrote: »
    Why would you trust a salesman! :) always check the T&Cs online.

Are you a salesman by any chance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

GarethBah wrote: »
    Yes but sales person came to my house saying there was unlimited D:

Did you get that in writing?

You know what the monthly limit is, so if you go over it on a monthly basis then it's your own fault. This isn't a reason to avoid Digiweb at all costs, it's a reason to know what you're signing up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

nothing wrong with digiweb, i always get next to the 8Mb/1Mb that i pay for and pings are always great. works perfect for gaming, better then all other isp's thats in my area

1399948981.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I had digiweb a few years ago and I never had a problem. I dud read the small print so knew I had to manage my bandwidth. It was never a problem. I was getting double the bandwidth sitcom were offering and no line rental. The only reason I left was UPC became available in my area.

If you did get mis-sold a product I would argue the toss with them and see iv they will let you out of contract early. If you don't get any joy threaten the communications regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Comreg is already having a little argy-bargy with the ISPs over the use of 'unlimited' I hear. In fact, none of them are unlimited, there's always a 'fair usage policy' that specifies a limit.

I have digiweb too and I can't really complain. I've always found the service OK. I knew what I was signing up for, and I always found the limits very clearly outlined on their site. I'd say you just got a pushy salesman on commission who has discovered that saying 'unlimited' a lot results is better numbers.

You should count yourself lucky that you have 60gb anyway, when I signed up it was only 30! They doubled all the limits on their plans a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

There is an old saying that is as true when singing up to an ISP as anything; "Buyer beware." In this instance the buyer was told something they believed in good faith, but as we all know, or are learning, sales people tell you what you want to hear to help their sale. Lesson? Get it in writing, or at least check the small print first before committing to anything.

I am not with Digweb, I am sadly still with Eircom. But from what I have read about them I would change to Digiweb if I thought they would improve matters for me.

With Eircom my monthly download limit is 10gig and my download speed is a pathetic 21kps, it is suppose to be 1 meg; seemingly I am too far from the exchange (Littleton) to avail of any decent speeds. And even if I were to upgrade to, for example, 8meg download I will still only get around 21kps because Eircom hasn't (and apparently won't) upgraded the old copper wiring that runs to my place. Higher speeds coming to my house with the current wiring problems creates a "bottle neck" effect. Yes, this is the excuse Eircom gave me as to the reason my line can only deal with 1meg download speed.

I'd be happy with 1meg, if I actually got it, or something even close to it. Would going to Digiweb make any difference? Or would it the case that they'd have the same problems Eircom has?

Sorry for going off topic.

Advertisement