Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford 1991

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

The biggest difference I saw was how few people were out and about....I guess people had jobs back then during the tiger days....and very few bumscags about....pre-heroin days for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Deadly video... would be great to see one taken down in "Red Square" as we used to call it (because it was paved with red bricks then). See how many people in baggy jumpers and paisley shirts you can pick out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Roadworks on the Quay... hehe... Some things never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Its not actually 1991 as best I know, but if you want some nostalgia here is the same topic from a thread three months ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

A lot has changed in it and a lot is still the same.

It's kind of strange looking at it knowing that at the time you were 20 years younger with probably a whole different outlook on where your life would be today. I was 27 when that video was made and as the fella said if I had known then what I know now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Wasn't there a big strike in Waterford Crystal in '91? I vaugely remember doing my Xmas shopping one Friday night as a youngster and the entire city deserted!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Hi Dayshah, I had a look at that link you posted and someone said one of those videos was from 1998. I'm not sure that the one I linked to was from '98 as Sallypark looks fairly intact and if my memory serves me right, by 1998 Sallypark was almost gone at this stage and the diversion up around Ferrybank may even have been in place?
    Also there seems to be a lot of old cars on the road and by 1998 the original scrappage scheme would have been in place (I know this because my mother traded in her old car and got a brand new Nissan Micra in 1997, which she still has with less than 30k on the clock!!!). So there should be a lot more newer cars on the road.
    Then again I could be completely wrong!!!
    Good video though.

montec wrote: »
    Hi Dayshah, I had a look at that link you posted and someone said one of those videos was from 1998. I'm not sure that the one I linked to was from '98 as Sallypark looks fairly intact and if my memory serves me right, by 1998 Sallypark was almost gone at this stage and the diversion up around Ferrybank may even have been in place?

The video is part of a series. I think the one from the OP is actually 1991. Never new video recorders existed in Waterford in 1991 :D

But other ones in the definitely series aren't 1991, but they are described as such. The cars look newer, and there are some other developments.

The videos in the series definitely were taken at different times of year. The one in the OP must be Spring or August. From the Clock Tower the time is 7.30, and its dusk (assuming the time is correct). In the other videos it looks more like winter from the trees.

Regardless of the year, thanks to whoever put them up on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

dayshah wrote: »
    Never new video recorders existed in Waterford in 1991 :D

I'll have you know we had a video camera for my communion in 1989! It was massive and used full sized VHS tapes. As far as I remember nobody had a clue what to do when it was pointed at them, so they just held a static smile. Saw the video of it a good few years ago and it was so funny looking at everyone just freezing and smiling at the camera!

I'll have you know we had a video camera for my communion in 1989!

Ooh, rich kid, eh? You must have lived in Newtown.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

dayshah wrote: »
    Ooh, rich kid, eh? You must have lived in Newtown.

:D

Hillview actually, so definitely not rich! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Those videos are lovely to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

chelloveks wrote: »
    The biggest difference I saw was how few people were out and about....I guess people had jobs back then during the tiger days....and very few bumscags about....pre-heroin days for sure

I can without doubt say that 1991 was definitely not part of the Celtic Tiger years, so no tiger days then. Cool bit of nostalgia though, just look how dated the cars look.:)

I can without doubt say that 1991 was definitely not part of the Celtic Tiger years, so no tiger days then. Cool bit of nostalgia though, just look how dated the cars look.:)

and how the trucks and vans look the same as they do now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

chelloveks wrote: »

1991 part of the "tiger days"? Are you havin' a laugh?? Celtic Tiger yrs were the late 90's to about 2006. Then again Waterford never saw much of the tiger money. As for their being very few "bumscags" about then you don't remember much! The 90s were very much the era of the shiny shell tracksuit & dodgy taches!

1991 part of the "tiger days"? Are you havin' a laugh?? Celtic Tiger yrs were the late 90's to about 2006. Then again Waterford never saw much of the tiger money. As for their being very few "bumscags" about then you don't remember much! The 90s were very much the era of the shiny shell tracksuit & dodgy taches!

And that was just the women!

Advertisement