Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Chuggers - Getting Worse?

Options
  • 23-07-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

This is not a unique thread by any means, but I walked down Grafton St recently and was hounded by 2 charity chuggers. I saw several others getting stopped and I'm very sick of it. It is an awfully worthless job and the people who do it should be ashamed. Getting paid to prey upon the good will of others, or those that are lacking the confidence to say no, or that do not understand that you are working on a commission basis. And you approach these people as if they were your friend. It is the worst of human nature preying upon the best.

I've noticed on Grafton St that they have even stopped wearing shirts that would identify them as working for a charity, so you could end up in a sales pitch before you know it. They exist in London aswell where they are more vociferous in their pursuit and it will probably go the same way here eventually unless they are stopped. I would love to see them banned. It is not true charity at all, but quite the opposite.

On Henry St I was approached by a girl working for Concern. I told her that I had just returned from a 5 month volunteering stint in Ghana, so I felt I had done my duty to Africa for a little while at least. She swatted that away like a malarial mosquito and proceeded to tell me that Ghana was just one country. Well what? Am I supposed to go to them all? Would that mean then that i don't have to donate €7 a month in your eyes, you that wants my money, not for the orphans, but for your next pair of jeans? I walked away from her.

Has making Charity Chugging illegal ever been considered in the Dail and has it been done in any other country? In a time when we're looking to get people to go out and shop and spend money, this just seems to be an unneccessary potential barrier.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

They are so annoying, one of them literally chased us off Abbey St. and into easons yesterday. She was like a terminator, once she had a lock on us, she was moving in for the kill. I find the best thing to deal with these jokers is wearing headphones, or just speak gibberish to them if they stop you. I give to a charity every month so I have no qualms about cutting these clowns loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I can honestly say I have never ever been stopped by one and I spend a lot of time in the city, I do see them stopping people though. They seem to know who not too accost, don't know if they spot the street awareness or what.

What are they after anyway? Is it cash or a direct debit to the charity?

Whatever way you look at it, it's a sheet way to make a living, at least they are trying to do something instead of leaching off the state. I guess the best you can do is smile and firmly say "no-way" and carry on. Don't stop or try and side step, keep walking straight and there's no need to be rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Yillan wrote: »
    I've noticed on Grafton St that they have even stopped wearing shirts that would identify them as working for a charity, so you could end up in a sales pitch before you know it.

I was approached by some guy on Henry Street a few days ago who was just in jeans and a t-shirt, I noticed he had a thing hooped around his jeans, some sort of identity card which I assume was for a charity which he clearly didn't want to be obviously visible. I still ignored him anyway, once someone approaches me in such a friendly and eager manner I get instantly suspicious! Still, I agree with you. It's very deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

One guy called to our home some time ago looking for financial assistance for one of the better-known Irish charities. My wife didn't realise that he didn't want a contribution but rather her banking details for a monthly debit. When she expressed her reluctance he then expressed his disappointment because 'all your neighbours have signed up'. Needless to say she didn't give him her details. I phoned the charity the next day and made a complaint. They knew the guy and said that they'd speak to him. Don't you just hate it when someone uses the guilt tactic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If they annoy you, just ignore them - even if they start following you. I never make eye contact with them and just walk straight pass them (and I pass them every day). It's not worth getting worked up about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Boards posters are bleedin bedwetters. If someone harrasses you on the street stand up for yourself, tell them to go **** themselves. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Just ask them for money. If they refuse ramp up the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Last week, there were a few on Mary Street for a good few days. Twice I was grabbed for by them, one even trying to grab at my pocket. A third one called me "redser" to get my attention. Just told them to **** off, which seemed to take them by surprise.

I'm definitely gonna give your charity money after sale pitches like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Just say:

"No thank you, leave me alone."

If they don't leave you alone, ask to see their id, take their details and report them. They are supposed to abide by a code of professional conduct. If they are asked to leave someone alone they are supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Just ask them for money. If they refuse ramp up the pressure.

i like this attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Chugger: Any spare change? *shakes bucket*
    Me: No actually, give us €2.30 for the bus?
    Chugger: ...

Works every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The easiest way to get rid of them is to tell them you have a direct debit..this works wonders and the idiots usually say something like "You rock" as you walk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mr.S wrote: »
    Worst is when they try to shake your hand.

Yeah, I hate that. Get your f*&king hand away from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't understand why you people are making excuses to them. Just ignore them as if they're not even there, walk through them if they jump in your way.

I've heard people on here asking for understanding for people who work as chuggers, "it's just a job". It's not, the whole idea of chugging has made our streets more unfriendly, before I would usually stop if someone was looking for help on the street but now unfortunately I'll probably ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'll say "no" or "no thanks" once. Once only.

The one time I ever engaged in a conversation with one was years ago and I was in a particularly good mood, she was working right outside my workplace, and I was in uniform. And she was a stunner.

Ordinarily though, if someone ever refuses to accept my single "no", or follows or hounds me, they will be assertively and in a loud voice told to Fúck Off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 verlona12

I've worked for the hanly center and paws, you get paid for annoying people on the street, so they are getting money out of this. I always avoid them, just say no thanks. But I find they are always standing in the middle of henry or grafton street, just walk on the edge beside the shops and they won't notice you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

A polite 'No thank you' before they get going first off followed by a less polite 'I said no!" if I get followed.

Also, actively ensure all my charity donations go to organisations that don't use chuggers. I know John O'Shea and Goal have a strict policy not to use then so they get my money mainly.

Charities use this practice because it is a very succesful fundraising method. It amazed me how so many people seem to have an issue with it but apparently sign up through chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Uuuugh, they're a blight on the city. Outside Tower Records is a prime spot for them. I completely tore apart one ignorant little f**ker who accosted me there while I was talking on the phone. He really picked the wrong person to do that to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

real sick of dealing with these mongs it should be illegal they're like beggars

they have this new thing of telling you youre after dropping something to get your attention

surely once the person being stopped realises they havent dropped anything theyre going to be p*ssed with the person for lying to them and unlikely to give them the time of day

muppets they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I didn't think they were allowed follow you down the street??
    I once said 'sure, walk and talk' when accosted, and he said he couldn't do that.

I usually just smile, shake my head and say 'no'. Once I acknowledge them they seem happy enough and leave me alone.

BTW OP, no need to put 'Charity' in front of 'Chuggers' ;)

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    And off I strolled

Did you shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I didn't think they were allowed follow you down the street??
    If that's true then a lot of chuggers are breaking the rules. I was chased down Grafton St. once until I ducked into a shop and hid for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Yillan wrote: »
    I've noticed on Grafton St that they have even stopped wearing shirts that would identify them as working for a charity, so you could end up in a sales pitch before you know it...
    That's the hanly centre, was always like that. I worked for them and was told to keep the scratch cards in my pocket till I'd finished my pitch so they wouldn't know I was looking for money, in my defence they don't tell you what their hiring you for in the first place either, they advertise for work as something like 'student jobs Ireland' and claim take home pay of three hundred a week, it's not, it's 25c a scratch card or similar, possibly the sh1ttest job in the world to land yourself in.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    They seem to know who not too accost, don't know if they spot the street awareness or what.
    Do you wear a uniform or obvious work clothes? They are told not to piss off the everyday worker, rather pick out the shoppers.
    Degsy wrote: »
    The easiest way to get rid of them is to tell them you have a direct debit..this works wonders and the idiots usually say something like "You rock" as you walk off.
    I actually used to have a direct debit, so felt no guilt in using this line, one day I was stopped in the street and did so only to get verbally harassed - where did you sign up, who signed you up, how much do you pay - once he'd decided I was offended enough the idiot changed tact and tried to get me to up the DD, needless to say I no longer have one and I made sure it was known it was his fault, not a hope I'm giving money to a charity that feels compelled to pull crap like that.

Do you wear a uniform or obvious work clothes?

No, not at all, and I don't go round with a scowl! I just think they know by the demeanor, gait, etc... Thanks for posting though, interesting to see the view from the other side. Can't be an easy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Thanks for posting though, interesting to see the view from the other side. Can't be an easy job.

It was a week two years ago, couldn't stomach it, don't worry you can maintain the tone from earlier :p especially towards the major charity ones in the t-shirts, they make a regular wage that's disgustingly high when you consider where it's coming from.

don't worry you can maintain the tone from earlier :p

They don't bother me! I'd be worried if that sort of thing was to get to me. I hope you are happy with what you are doing now...

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

I wonder do any of the chuggers have direct debits themselves?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

phasers wrote: »
    If that's true then a lot of chuggers are breaking the rules. I was chased down Grafton St. once until I ducked into a shop and hid for a while.

You hid?

Its posts like these that put all the Junkie threads into perspective, some of you are so afraid of your own shadows Im surprised you can leave the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't think people are actually afraid of chuggers.

There's a conflict of social conditioning at play, we're conditioned to not be rude to random strangers in the street, and equally we're conditioned to be respectful to or even admire charity. Against that, we realise pretty quickly that they're after our money and we don't want to give it to them, we possibly also think what they do is also morally wrong.

In short we end up in a situation where we want to tell them to f*ck off, and we dread telling them that in equal amounts. Despite how clever we all think we are, we're not really any good at resolving these types of conflicts, and try to avoid them, either by signing up and paying, or by ducking into a shop.

I suspect chuggers are trained to recognise this, spot the people who are most susceptible to it and target them particularly strongly. And if they're not trained to do it, many of them have realised it on their own.

The people who aren't susceptible to it are those who've put thought into it beforehand and decided to tell them to f*ck off, or are possibly cold hearted bast*rds themselves, or both :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm gonna buy a clipboard and next time one of them annoys me I'll humour them for a bit then take it out of my bag and ask for their bank details.

Advertisement