Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Chuggers - Getting Worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

They've started making house calls recently. I hate being rude but myself and the missus have had to run several off our property recently. Paws, Concern.....i.e. all the usuals.

I find they are easier to get rid of in town, a firm no usually does the business but the house callers are extra aggressive.

The plonker that called from Concern immediately launched into his story without introduction there recently. I politely told him that I didn't have the time to talk to him, to which he responded "You can definitely spare 5 minutes" I told him that when he knocks on my door, unsolicited I decide if I have 5 minutes or not, and to get the fu$k off my property.

Not answering the door doesn't work either as they seem to be told to knock again and again until they get an answer from each house. I do feel sorry for them in a way, as it must be a tough job but they must surely realise that they are effectively employed to be a professional nuisance. The girl from Paws must have knocked 4 times in the one day, I lost the plot with her as the last call came after 8.30PM just as we had managed to get the little one asleep. If we din't answer the first three times we're not fuc^ing interested, how hard is that to understand.

I think irish people as a whole are quite generous when it comes to charity, I always donate when I can spare it to things like cancer research and other bodies that I deem worthy, and that's my choice. When it comes down to it I'd rather give 100 euro to a random homeless person than sign up for a direct debit that about 40 cent will get to they target destination if lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I feel sorry for the chuggers. They're only trying to make a bit of money for themselves.

There was two lads in the Croke Park Jurys after the matches on Sunday, doing a 'raffle' for the Hanley Centre. They were absolutely cleaning up with all the pissed Mayo fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

sdeire wrote: »
    I'll say "no" or "no thanks" once. Once only.

The one time I ever engaged in a conversation with one was years ago and I was in a particularly good mood, she was working right outside my workplace, and I was in uniform. And she was a stunner.

Ordinarily though, if someone ever refuses to accept my single "no", or follows or hounds me, they will be assertively and in a loud voice told to Fúck Off.

just kill them with a glare

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

CiaranC wrote: »
    You hid?

Its posts like these that put all the Junkie threads into perspective, some of you are so afraid of your own shadows Im surprised you can leave the house.
    I was 13 at the time, the fella scared me. I don't even know why I'm justifying this to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

phasers wrote: »
    I was 13 at the time, the fella scared me. I don't even know why I'm justifying this to you.

A charity chugger chasing a 13 year old? Are you sure he was a charity chugger? Maybe you're repressing a more sinister memory here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yillan wrote: »
    A charity chugger chasing a 13 year old? Are you sure he was a charity chugger? Maybe you're repressing a more sinister memory here
    He had a lanyard and was trying to sell me scratchcards, although I suppose it could have been a cunning disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Yillan wrote: »
    I've noticed on Grafton St that they have even stopped wearing shirts that would identify them as working for a charity

This is the part I have a problem with, at least when they have bibs on you can see them and avoid them if you want to.

They also seem to congregrate in areas where large amounts of people have to slow down to walk past them, like just past Lush on College Green where there are two pedestrian crossways! No way of speeding along past the repeating the word "no" as you go past!

I shake my head and keep walking :confused:
    They try and put out their hand but *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I've adopted a new tactic.

When approaching a "nag" of chuggers (yes, I invented a collective term for them), I put a completely vacant on my face. Just staring into the distance, right through them. I just walk on like a zombie, like I'm in my own little world, then once I pass them I snap out of it and carry on as normal :pac:

It works a treat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Concern are allowed to hassle you. Not surprising they waste bloody money sending you t shirts if you send them money.

Trocaire, Barnardos etc are told not to keep at you if you state no.

The worst are those guys selling stuffied KEYCHAINS for animal welfare.. he kept at me saying " just imagine a dog with only 3 legs limping down the street " .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

CavanCrew wrote: »
    The worst are those guys selling stuffied KEYCHAINS for animal welfare.. he kept at me saying " just imagine a dog with only 3 legs limping down the street " .

YOU should've said "Just imagine a chugger with three adams apples after being kicked in the balls":)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Degsy wrote: »
    YOU should've said "Just imagine a chugger with three adams apples after being kicked in the balls":)

Hahahaa Damn it why didnt i think of that !?:eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭backinexile

Can't stand those clowns

When I see them I put on a very angry face, and if they approach me I tell them to "Get out of my way!!!":mad:

I think that shocks them, and before they know what's going on I'm well gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 misemise

I had a really bad experience with the paws people on henry st. A lad asked us to stop and we said no thanks and kept walking, he started to follow us and got really aggressive and actually made holy show of us! Then we had to walk back by him to go home and he stood right in front of us and said something like so has it sunk in yet. I wrote and complained to the charity because he would put me of ever giving to them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

They must be getting desperate as I passed one today on Parnell Street, just outside of where Stringfellows used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've chugged for a good few months so I know what really annoys chuggers!

1) Stop and listen to them - pretend to be really excited and want to sign up - start filling out the details and at the end when the say "so what bank are you with" - you just tell them "I dont have a bank account" - They may still be smilling but you've crushed them!!!

2) Insult them personally ie. ''You're fat and ugly''

3) Point to to you're ears even when you dont have headphones in.

As I've done this - its very hard - also if you dont hit you're targets then you're sacked so imagine in your job if you didnt know whether you had a job next week - pretty stressful -

A simple 'no' and keep walking does the trick - they're human after all and not some monster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Concern hired theirs directly, and bay a basic with bonuses, so if you find yourself ever hassled by a rep, complain and they'll be dealt with it. For all
    their annoyance, they get chucked quickly if they're complained about. As for
    the rest, the FMI offer a basic, but like Concern, you've got to be hitting good numbers quickly or you don't last the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I don't like being approached by these people at all some if them will just not take no for an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Degsy wrote: »
    The easiest way to get rid of them is to tell them you have a direct debit..this works wonders and the idiots usually say something like "You rock" as you walk off.

I did that and the cheeky bugger actually asked me if I would be interested in increasing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

2 questions.

1. Who's in charge of these charity muggers? Their manager or whoever's employed full time by the charity and has hired these people clearly must know that the charity muggers are harrassing members of the public and damaging the charity's reputation and good name.

WHY doesn't the charity sort out these people?

They are doing horrendous damage to their brand.

Funny thing is that people won't remember what the actual charity is sometimes and will leave people just annoyed at charities in general, leading to other charities doing good work being affected.

2. How the hell do these people have the nerve to annoy people so much and how does this continue??

The article at the link below says that Gardai (in April this year) arrested 177 people for “aggressive begging” in the two months since new begging legislation was introduced on February 2nd.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0401/1224293540839.html

Surely these charity muggers are doing practically the same thing!

(maybe not quite but you know what I mean!)

Harrassing a member of the public in Grafton Street would stop very quickly if one of them got carted off by the Gardai.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Charities are all businesses anyway..give them nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

There's been a nag (;)) of them on O'Connell St recently along McD BK Supermacs. Annoying as all hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

One of them came to my door today, which is a worrying trend. It was only one, but I don't want to have to eventually deal with multiple chuggers coming to my door regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

There does seem to be a load (nag) of them around lately, on Westmoreland Street seems to be particularly bad for Barnardos chuggers, I must have passed 5 on my way to my bus stop not too far down the street! Even with earphones in they still tend to harrass, though I can get away with lying about my age, as for a 20-something year old I seem to look about 15 apparently! This also works on door-to-door as they usually ask is my mammy or daddy in, and I'm not gonna tell them that I own the house :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oranage2 wrote: »

1) Stop and listen to them - pretend to be really excited and want to sign up - start filling out the details and at the end when the say "so what bank are you with" - you just tell them "I dont have a bank account" - They may still be smilling but you've crushed them!!!

3) Point to to you're ears even when you dont have headphones in.

As I've done this - its very hard - also if you dont hit you're targets then you're sacked so imagine in your job if you didnt know whether you had a job next week - pretty stressful -

A simple 'no' and keep walking does the trick - they're human after all and not some monster

That's going a bit too far :\

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Oranage2 wrote: »

Pretty sure that works on everyone. Bit over the top too.

I don't give to chuggers, I don't like the thought of charitable donations paying for wages, like Jerry Ryans girlfriend. On 100k a year? Donations were paying those wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

well this has deflated my ego about going for a job interview with concern today.
    Going to have to start with hi, if your a boards.ie member sorry I looked at you and have a nice day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Got accosted by a very annoying one a while back up near Stephen's Green.

He came toward me and I did my usual smile and not-today-thanks routine but he actually ignored that and stood in front of me, blocking my way.

Just told him to fuck off out of my path or else.

I respect anybody's right to make a living and dont mind being asked initially but some of the tactics are verging on harrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

well this has deflated my ego about going for a job interview with concern today.
    Going to have to start with hi, if your a boards.ie member sorry I looked at you and have a nice day :D

If the job's with Concern it probably isn't chugging. They don't do it themselves do they? I thought the w&nkers doing it on their behalf work for some agency and not the charity itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

The ones that annoy me the most:
    * I see them the most on Grafton Street
    * They don't wear bibs, the only thing to identify them as chuggers is a small ID badge, usually clipped to their belt
    * They stand in front of you
    * If you walk by them they walk beside you spouting their inane sales pitch
    * They seem to work for some sort of alcoholics charity

Whatever about someone trying to shake your hand, these pricks are very annoying as they walk alongside you. The only way to get rid of them quickly is to tell them to f*ck off.

Advertisement