Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp yo club/soc 2011/2012!

Options
  • 23-07-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Okay so last years has been hidden away in the useful links sticky (not the mods fault I know) I think it's about time for a new one with the amount of prospective students hanging around the forums this time of year. There are probably a few old hands looking for something new too!

So I'll go first with the shameless promotion with UCD TAEKWON-DO

Awesome club. Hands down one of the most social sports clubs in UCD. It costs a tenner to join. That covers your insurance for the whole year, use of club equipment and the fresher's party. We love to party. We run a social/training trip away every year, compete in five or six different national and international comps (yet another excuse to go out) On top of that there are regular nights out be they to the student bar or town. Karaoke is a regular fixture on the social schedule as is ice skating and we have a sister club in RCSI for more all important drinking buddies :)

On a more serious note UCD TKD is an extremely successful club competitively with Past European champs, and current national, intervarsity and provincial champs. We're an ITF club for anyone that it may already matter to but we readily welcome all federations both ITF and WTF. Sign up will be during freshers week most likely in the sports centre but new comers are welcome all year round. All levels of fitness and experience are catered for. TKD is a great way to get fit and have fun doing it. You'll make great friends too! (we're awesome, we promise ;) ) Classes run four times a week so everyone will be able to make one class or more a week. You come to as many as you like or can with your timetable without scrutiny. I still have to confirm our hall times for this year and when I do I'll edit this and stick them

http://www.ucd.ie/tkd

Now that the essay is done everyone needs to start pimping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

As this is the thread for pimping I'll follow MissRealist's lead!

The university's fencing club is like totally great (etc. etc. :D). Anybody belonging to UCD is welcome to try out this challenging, yet rewarding sport, where people's individuality is promoted whilst developing a mutual bond between club members.

- but check out the website: UCD Fencing Club which will go on about all that in greater detail!

MissRealist, you might want to edit a link to the UCD TKD website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I suppose ill post the first soc on here. i'm the treasurer for the Archaeology Society and while we had a great response last year we're hoping for even more interested folks to find us during freshers.

Obviously we're a smaller society but we're genuinely trying to pack a lot into the year and are open to suggestions. We usually manage nights out, table quizzes, at least two trips within Ireland, a trip abroad (Last year was Malta, we had a ball), coffee mornings and a lecture series in conjunction with the school of archaeology bringing in lecturers from around Ireland and hopefully one or two from Britain as well.

I have to admit that we're not that great a society to join if you just want to party but for anyone who has an interest in archaeology or is going into the subject in any way should get a lot out of it. Its also a good opportunity to get to know other archaeology students regardless of age or stage as well as the lecturers who are closely connected to us.

Its a close knit but friendly community and we would love to see you during freshers where we can answer any questions you may have.

Cheers folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Bumping because us incoming first years now know that we are, in fact, incoming first years...

Also wondering about the Kickboxing club. I understand its Lau Gar (understand might be an overstatement), how does that differ to Freestyle Kickboxing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭WatchOut

So I'll go first with the shameless promotion with UCD TAEKWON-DO!

Do you need to have any experience before hand? I've never done it in my life but you made it sound very enticing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bangbang3

+ 1 to above :rolleyes:

and when can you join clubs/socs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Stasya_x

I'm looking for info on womens rowing? Has anyone any ideas of their training times? Someones told me its two land sessions Tuesday& Thursday and on the water Saturday & Sunday? Just trying to organise work hours around taking it up and a rough idea would be fantsatic..

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Whats the craic with water sports? like swimming, waterpolo and lifesaving? Is the pool the college uses close to the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Hey guys, I'm the auditor for the Russian society this year... Lets do some pimping!

Our society is quite small, but we are hoping to expand this year and have a lot more events happening through out. This year we are more focusing on discovering the Russian culture, as well as the cultures of post USSR countries.
    We are going to hold language classes from beginners to advance levels.
    We are going to have movie nights and documentary nights to get our members familiar with the Russian way of living. Vodka+caviar nights and trips are a must!

Also many more events are to be announced. Make sure to join!

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kebn

WatchOut wrote: »
    Do you need to have any experience before hand? I've never done it in my life but you made it sound very enticing :p

No experience necessary, train as often or as little as you like. Most of the people who join have never done any martial art before so don't sweat it (figuratively, you'll actually sweat buckets in all actuality)!
    bangbang3 wrote: »
    + 1 to above

and when can you join clubs/socs?

You can sign up during freshers week, which is always the second week of the semseter, in the sports centre. There are stands for all of the sports clubs (in Hall B, normally).

You can of course come along to any training session before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Is it possible to sign up to anything before freshers?
    (assuming freshers isn't this week 'cause I'm not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kebn

seanor3 wrote: »

Freshers week is the second week back. You can sign up to anything whenever you want really but freshers week is probably the easiest option. You can just show up to anything that doesn't require trials (GAA, Rugby, Soccer etc.) and talk to any committee member.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

kebn wrote: »
    No experience necessary, train as often or as little as you like. Most of the people who join have never done any martial art before so don't sweat it (figuratively, you'll actually sweat buckets in all actuality)!

You can sign up during freshers week, which is always the second week of the semseter, in the sports centre. There are stands for all of the sports clubs (in Hall B, normally).

You can of course come along to any training session before then.

1+ to this. Absolutely no experience necessary all start of year classes are aimed at beginners :)

seanor3 wrote: »

It's unusual to join before freshers' week (particularly since the only people at training will be experienced) - however you usually can watch the senior trainings going on and do a bit of research before the expo

Yeah, I know - final bump for freshers'

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Where abouts are the soc stalls this week and is it on all week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

If its the same as previous years, they are located in a big tent behind the student centre, and will be on all week. The sports clubs stalls are usually in the Sports Centre, in the hall there.

Societies are usually 2 euro to join and clubs are usually 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Neither one of the societies I wanted to join were in the freshers tent, and I wanted to find some kind of tech/computer society too and there was nothing :\

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Anyone know if the Humanist Society is still around?
    Couldn't see a stall in the tent today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

._. wrote: »
    Neither one of the societies I wanted to join were in the freshers tent, and I wanted to find some kind of tech/computer society too and there was nothing :\
    There is Netsoc, but I think they didn't have a stand in the freshers tent this year. They do exist though. What were societies you wanted to join?

• Advertisement

Anybody who wants to join the Fencing club and missed us at the Sports' Expo can join at training! See our website for time/location/contact info.
    ---

Was it just me or were there far fewer societies this year? Also far less activity in Freshers' Week in general? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Victoria. wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Humanist Society is still around?
    Couldn't see a stall in the tent today.

Same here :S where'd they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Anybody who wants to join the Fencing club and missed us at the Sports' Expo can join at training! See our website for time/location/contact info.
    ---

Was it just me or were there far fewer societies this year? Also far less activity in Freshers' Week in general? :confused:

Ditto to the TKD club!

And yes, I think there was a lack of activity all week for some reason :/ All the usual suspects showed at the sports expo club-wise but there seemed to be fewer people wandering around... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeah, there were empty stands in the tent on Monday this year, which I've never seen happen before. Crazy.

Anyways, with freshers week come and gone I'm gonna unsticky this, but it's still linked in the Useful threads sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shane L

I need to join a sport preferably with a good bit of running ( not athletics though :P) anyone know if ultimate frisbee is any good? I've played soccer and gaa for yonks ...does anyone here know when gaa trials are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Why was I not informed of this...
    The one day a week I'm not in the hub for most of the day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

@Shane L, Ultimate Frisbee is great. UCD are also really competitive at it in Ireland, give it a try.

Advertisement