Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify this tree please?

• 23-07-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could identify this tree please, I haven't a clue myself about botany or the likes...

As far as I remember this should be a horse chestnut tree that I planted with my grandmother when I was 3, but I'm not certain...

imag0005kt.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It is. Pic is enormous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Yeah, leaves look like a horse chestnut to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a young Chestnut tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

reduced photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sorry about the giant picture. :o

And thanks for the ID, childhood memories are saved. Planted that as a chestnut when I was like 3, so 22/23 years ago...

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that Chestnut tree is only about 7 yerars old. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Horse chestnut is non native. It is not a natural part of the irish ecosystem. I would suggest that if youre going to plant a tree, you plant only native irish trees like oak, ash etc as they support more biodiversity and therefore help to preserve what little we have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Horse chestnut is non native. It is not a natural part of the irish ecosystem. I would suggest that if youre going to plant a tree, you plant only native irish trees like oak, ash etc as they support more biodiversity and therefore help to preserve what little we have left.

He was 3.

Cut him some slack.

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I'm afraid that Chestnut tree is only about 7 yerars old. :o

....or just maybe it's a branch of an older tree, eh?

LostCovey wrote: »
    ....or just maybe it's a branch of an older tree, eh?

Not at all, for several reasons besides it just isn't. Look at the background and the height of the hedge. This would leave the tree too low to be a branch that thick. The alignment of the leaves and side shoots is wrong for a branch as well. And the variety of leaf sizes suggests a young tree too. :)

• Advertisement

That tree is taller than me, maybe 6.5 feet/7 feet tall. And it's definitely been growing for years, not 3 or 4...

dulpit wrote: »
    That tree is taller than me, maybe 6.5 feet/7 feet tall. And it's definitely been growing for years, not 3 or 4...

Sorry but 6.5/7 feet confirms it at 7 or 8 years old. It must not be the tee you remember planting. This is definitely a young tree.

:( It's actually closer to 10 feet, does that make a difference?

/me clings to hope

/me clings to hope

Not really I'm afraid. Makes it a firm 8 years and no more. Sorry! :o

A tree growing in very impoverished soil may be stunted and only reach this height after many years but the leaves on this one are too healthy and large to come under that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

/me clings to hope

Conkers? Gotta be some Conkers on it if it really an 'older' tree?

Btw, make sure you cut it down now, as its not native:pac::pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

Yes the tree has only been planted for less than ten years, however, please don't cut it down. While chestnut may not be native, they are beautiful trees and perfectly adapted to the Irish habitat. They are non-invasive and provide a wealth of wildlife habitat.
    Cut down every non-native tree in Ireland and we'll soon be left with a tillage mans mecca!! The more trees we have, the better off the environment is and the better off we are.

Advertisement