Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Singer Amy Winehouse has died

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sky News has confirmed it..

http://news.sky.com/skynews/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Why do people keep asking source and locking threads.

Its literally on sky news as we speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Tragic waste of talent if true. But..was always to happen.

Wait for her scummy ex to coin in it from magazine interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

TheDoc wrote: »
    Why do people keep asking source and locking threads.

Its literally on sky news as we speak

Because the OP first posted 'Amy Winehouse has died' with no mention of Sky News.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Alleykins

I think regardless of her lifestyle and habits, we are still taking about a human being with family and friends who will be devastated at her untimely death. She was a great talent and a creative mind. Her voice was amazing and she doubtless had a very bright future ahead of her but for her addictions. It is a sad thing that has happened but Norway still is facing a much bigger trauma today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Great talent and great voice. A tragedy but it was clear to see that she would not live a long life with her addiction to drink & drugs.

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the significance of posting a fullstop:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

fryup wrote: »

I was wondering too, stared at the full stop for about 30 seconds wondering what it was about :confused:

Ah like ya could see it coming, but its still sad, a celeb is still a human after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

RIP Amy Winehouse. She had so much talent but her addictions seems to have gotten the better of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

isnt it strange or just coincidence that she is now part of the '27 club' (ie shes 27 like jimmy hendrix, janis joplin, jim morrison etc)..
    anyway whatever about that, its very sad for her family and friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It's a big loss to the music world. I was a big fan, she was so talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

fryup wrote: »

I don't think you can fully delete a post, so maybe that poster wanted to delete their post but couldn't do it fully. I've seen it before and guessed that's what it was. I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Queen Louise

isnt it strange or just coincidence that she is now part of the '27 club' (ie shes 27 like jimmy hendrix, janis joplin, jim morrison etc)..

Along with John Lennon and Curt Kobane...RIP Aimeeee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Just heard this, wow she was very talented, very sad, R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Along with John Lennon and Curt Kobane...RIP Aimeeee

John Lennon? He was 40...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pythia wrote: »

She made the same mistake in After hours.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

It's a terrible thing to happen, but the way I see it, you live by the sword, you die by the sword.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Queen Louise

So the confirmists say buddy. Why dont you ask RINGO STAR what he thinks about John being 40 at death and then get back to me pal.

As for MangoLime: THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD...And Aimee carried a mighty pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

So the confirmists say buddy. Why dont you ask RINGO STAR what he thinks about John being 40 at death and then get back to me pal.

As for MangoLime: THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD...And Aimee carried a mighty pen.

So he was 9 when they released Love me Do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Why do you keep calling her 'Aimee'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why do you keep calling her 'Aimee'?

The poster has gone to troll-heaven, so can't answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

RIP Amy.

A great performer but a tourtered soul. Hopefully she is at peace now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I just don't get the need for all the "She brought it on herself" stuff. So she went down a stupid, irresponsible path, as many folks do - I doubt it was her plan to become such a mess. Maybe she was a selfish arsehole, maybe she was an emotional mess who just couldn't get it together even when she wanted to, but it's still tragic - her life and death. She was young and a talent and I'm sorry there won't be another recording by her. What a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Dudess wrote: »
    I just don't get the need for all the "She brought it on herself" stuff. So she went down a stupid, irresponsible path, as many folks do - I doubt it was her plan to become such a mess. Maybe she was a selfish arsehole, maybe she was an emotional mess who just couldn't get it together even when she wanted to, but it's still tragic - her life and death. She was young and a talent and I'm sorry there won't be another recording by her. What a waste.

I'm sure there is some songs that weren't released. so maybe in a couple of months she will bring out another album.Its cash in time for the record company. she is already 2nd and 5th on the itune charts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭WildSaffron

Life is a series of decisions.

Some decisions are unwise - that lead to other unwise decisions - and pretty much soon one finds oneself heading for disaster.

Sometimes one is lucky to meet the right person, time, circumstance, epiphany that can help one pull oneself up from the brink of disaster.

Poor Amy didn't - and barrelled along on her road to disaster.

R.I.P. Amy - may you find the peace you were searching for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Very sad to hear about poor Amy, god love her.

The Daily Mail website has photos of that Aislynee?? Or whatever she calls herself, the BB celeb salon twonk - her twitter was a sight to behold yesterday & the photographs of her on the ground outside the house, hysterical are a sight to behold. Massive OTT attention seeking carry on. Now I don't doubt that she's sad over the Amys death, but the photos just smack of pure attention seeking, made me feel a bit ill, actually. How close were they exactly????

• Advertisement

temply wrote: »

The Daily Mail website has photos of that Aislynee?? Or whatever she calls herself, the BB celeb salon twonk - her twitter was a sight to behold yesterday & the photographs of her on the ground outside the house, hysterical are a sight to behold. Massive OTT attention seeking carry on. Now I don't doubt that she's sad over the Amys death, but the photos just smack of pure attention seeking, made me feel a bit ill, actually. How close were they exactly????

Another fair-weather friend, I'm sure. They'll all be crawling out of the woodwork now with their stories of, 'She looked at me once!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Very sad, she had more talent in her toe nails than some of the people topping the charts these days. Genuinely thought she'd sort herself out and have a comeback album that would blow everyone away, not to be, hope shes at peace.

Another fair-weather friend, I'm sure. They'll all be crawling out of the woodwork now with their stories of, 'She looked at me once!'

spot on. if even yer wan could have called her a friend, the photos made me ill.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Indeed

aisd.jpg

What's yerman at? Taking some 'exclusive shots' for Now magazine probably* :rolleyes:

ais2.jpg

A vulgar display if ever there was one.

Come to think of it, wasn't she the one who threw herself on the floor in a similar fashion when she had to evict DJ Spider or some other goon from the BB house in one of her tasks??

Those shots remind me of that.. she should be nominated for an Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 yhtjuy

No offence but to put her name beside the likes of Hendrix and Morrison is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Very sad to lose such a talent. Can't say I didn't see it coming.

I actually feel terrible - when she was in lots of trouble last year I remember saying to the missus "she'll be dead within 2 years".

:(

Very sad loss, commisserations to her family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

yhtjuy wrote: »
    No offence but to put her name beside the likes of Hendrix and Morrison is laughable
    totally agree, just thought of it when i saw her age, but its annoying now with the media glamourising this club 27 thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They are actually friends.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1004309/The-odd-couple-Amy-Winehouse-gets-visit-Big-Brother-Z-lister-Aisleyne.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/big_brother/2592427/Aisleyne-Horgan-Wallace-Amy-Winehouse-is-the-breast.html (NSFW)

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/340564/aisleyne-horgan-wallace-to-visit-amy-winehouse-in-st-lucia/1/

I don't think so. She was an incredible vocalist and songwriter. She was the best artist of her generation. In an era where women have to sell their sexuality in order to be popular, and have to wear ridiculous costumes and have overblown stage productions to augment their talent, she just stood up there and sang (all her own material) like the old fashioned singers used to. She breathed some soul into what had become a very soulless music industry. It will be impossible to tell how many imitators will follow (we already have some in the forms of Adele and Duffy), but Winehouse was the real deal. She lived what she sang, unfortunately, which seems to be the way with all blues and soul singers - they seem to have to live the suffering in order to sing about it. So too did Morrison and especially Janis Joplin (who could hear that howl and not believe that she understood every word she sang?). I wouldn't want to glorify the tragic lifestyles these people led (they were all clearly very unhappy individuals), but she had as much soul as the best of them and clearly outshone all her peers in terms of raw talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I don't think so. She was an incredible vocalist and songwriter. She was the best artist of her generation. In an era where women have to sell their sexuality in order to be popular, and have to wear ridiculous costumes and have overblown stage productions to augment their talent, she just stood up there and sang (all her own material) like the old fashioned singers used to. She breathed some soul into what had become a very soulless music industry. It will be impossible to tell how many imitators will follow (we already have some in the forms of Adele and Duffy), but Winehouse was the real deal. She lived what she sang, unfortunately, which seems to be the way with all blues and soul singers - they seem to have to live the suffering in order to sing about it. So too did Morrison and especially Janis Joplin (who could hear that howl and not believe that she understood every word she sang?). I wouldn't want to glorify the tragic lifestyles these people led (they were all clearly very unhappy individuals), but she had as much soul as the best of them and clearly outshone all her peers in terms of raw talent.

I agree she was talented, and had a great, really unique voice. I wouldn't put her quite on the pedestal you have though.

Its a historical trend that all the real, talented musicians (well a high %) seem to die way too young from drink and drugs. And its not genre specific - blues, jazz, rock, pop soul and more have lost artists this way.

Must be that fine line between genius and insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

amy achieved more in her short 27 years than many will in a lifetime of trying, forever young.

The drugs that made her famous also led to her demise, so sad.

I agree she was talented, and had a great, really unique voice. I wouldn't put her quite on the pedestal you have though.

Its a historical trend that all the real, talented musicians (well a high %) seem to die way too young from drink and drugs. And its not genre specific - blues, jazz, rock, pop soul and more have lost artists this way.

Must be that fine line between genius and insanity.

Indeed death from excess is not genre specific, when I say blues and soul musicians lived what they sang, I just mean that it seems that that type of music seems to bring it out in more musicians - Amy Winehouse, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Etta James, Dinah Washington, Robert Johnson, and so on. To be a great blues or soul musician, it seems that you have to live it unfortunately.

I don't dispute that - however, 3 links to trashy websites, with quotes from that celeb fame chaser banging on about her "good friend" does not convience me there were very close at all.

Her carry on outside Amy's house on Saturday was disgusting.

Exactly, I wouldn't begrudge anyone their grief but why go right into the eye of the media storm to do the wailing widow routine?

I don't see the point in her going to her house in the first place, she could have had her meltdown at home away from the cameras if she felt so devestated.. I don't see any family or indeed any A listers making a show of themselves outside the gates of Amy's house..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I respectfully disagree. I think Amy Winehouse was a true natural talent unlike so many others of this time. Her death was untimely, unfortunately not a surprise and is a loss to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I respectfully AGREE.the woman had talent but no where near morrison or especially hendrix.
    But why couldn't it have been pete doherty.now there is a waste of space,hes the one we should be reading about.

At the end of the day she was a junkie and if u live by the sword you die by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I often have wondered if Amy Winehouse was a victim of childhood abuse in some form or other.
    l've always felt she wanted to free herself of a secret pain.
    God love her family RIP Amy what a fantastic singer you were

Just seen both her dad and mam at the scene, looking at the tributes, very dignified - that aislynee wan should be ashamed of herself & very embaressed now I hope! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

ElleEm wrote: »
    I don't think you can fully delete a post, so maybe that poster wanted to delete their post but couldn't do it fully. I've seen it before and guessed that's what it was. I may be wrong.

Nope ,you are correct indeed:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I respectfully AGREE.the woman had talent but no where near morrison or especially hendrix.
    But why couldn't it have been pete doherty.now there is a waste of space,hes the one we should be reading about.

At the end of the day she was a junkie and if u live by the sword you die by it.

And no less of a person because of that. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement