Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ive seen it all now !!!!!!!

Options
  • 23-07-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Beware of Romanian women begging in Rahoon Area .Do not give this woman Money I repeat DO NOT GIVE HER MONEY

So im sitting in watching the days222 racing about 2 hours ago and doorbell rings . so i open it and a romanian woman hands me a note saying basically she cant speak english and she has no money to feed her kids bla bla
    I felt pretty bad for her and just had winner on races so I hand her out a tenner seemed very grateful,
    Anyway about 20 mins later i took dog out for walk and see the woman getting into passenger seat of Black Mercedes Benz ( 2008 ) at end of estate with a heavy Romanian Driver (male ):eek::eek:
    As she is getting in she turns and waves at me :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Beware of Romanian women begging in Rahoon Area .Do not give this woman Money I repeat DO NOT GIVE HER MONEY

So im sitting in watching the days222 racing about 2 hours ago and doorbell rings . so i open it and a romanian woman hands me a note saying basically she cant speak english and she has no money to feed her kids bla bla
    I felt pretty bad for her and just had winner on races so I hand her out a tenner seemed very grateful,
    Anyway about 20 mins later i took dog out for walk and see the woman getting into passenger seat of Black Mercedes Benz ( 2008 ) at end of estate with a heavy Romanian Driver (male ):eek::eek:
    As she is getting in she turns and waves at me :eek:

was she Romanian or Roma? Two different things.

And maybe she ordered a hackney? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Yes im aware theres a difference
    The letter she gave me said from Romania .
    The flippin cheek of her still fuming :mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where do you live?
    I'll just write a little note and pop up..

I know ,
    Dont know why i gave her money was just in good form but im still in shock
    If you seen the car they had !!!!
    The 10er wouldnt pay for the petrol in this beast to get to town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The 10er wouldnt pay for the petrol in this beast to get to town!

Well, there you are then, justice of sorts, you can imagine them stranded at the side of the motorway and they later fined their car on jacks with no wheels and no engine after they had to traipse all the way to buy more fuel after you tenner's worth ran out.

Clever. I like your thinking.

• Advertisement

Yes im aware theres a difference
    The letter she gave me said from Romania .
    The flippin cheek of her still fuming :mad::mad:

An yeah, there are Roma from Romania as well, so she could have been that too. Just curious how you knew they were both Romanian.

In fairness an older relative told me of when they had no shoes on their feet, but an uncle, a 'Yank', came over and brought them a gold chain each. No shoes, slightly hungry, with the gold chain from 'Merica.

Perhaps she gets posh lifts. (I know I know, just trying to find a way to ease the fuming!).

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

I can understand the fumming - cant blame you but just one question.....did you inform the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

didnt you read the sunday paper two weeks ago telling us ''thank you very much for building us a mansion '' back home where they come from there is a mansion built with money you lot give these people cos of ''feeling sorry for them'' ..i give to st vincent depaul every month by direct debit and i get an email every so often telling me that they received it. also st john of god.

karen89 wrote: »
    I can understand the fumming - cant blame you but just one question.....did you inform the guards?

But is it a crime if she hands you a note *stating her situation*, as opposed to directly hunting you down on the street for cash? I bet there's a loophole. Guards didn't show up on our road yesterday for 2 window smashes (kids) and a ladder nicked, so good luck with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Why are people still shocked?

I've personally seen Vans dropping women off and picking them up in the afternoon. They are not like buskers who perform service, they are cons.

Its not about foreigners getting charity, because I work for a charity in town and these people are conning whereas legitimate people like SVDP, Simon etc are losing out and the money isnt going to those who need it most.

And also, that guy in town with the legs that are bent 90 degrees and he walks on his knees (a roma)... I remember a friend telling me about an old woman who recognised him and told him to get up and this caused a scene. SHe badgered at this guy until he stood up and left shop st.

Anyone else seen this kinda carry on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

My best friend, who is romanian told me never ever to give them any money. She said that the people out begging are rich Romanian gypsies, they have loads of money and big houses back in Romania.

Another friend of mine told me that she seen this woman in the eyre square shopping center carrying a plastic bag with clothes. She was dressed "normally". Then later on that day my friend was walking down shop street, she seen the same woman out begging. She had changed her clothes and was now dressed like the Romanian women do.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

What she was or wasn't dosen't take away from you thinking of others OP.

My best friend, who is romanian told me never ever to give them any money. She said that the people out begging are rich Romanian gypsies, they have loads of money and big houses back in Romania.

Another friend of mine told me that she seen this woman in the eyre square shopping center carrying a plastic bag with clothes. She was dressed "normally". Then later on that day my friend was walking down shop street, she seen the same woman out begging. She had changed her clothes and was now dressed like the Romanian women do.

I'm confused by what you wrote. I too have a (couple of) Romanian friends, well friends of friends. They dress pretty much like I do. You mention this woman dresses like 'Romanian women' do, what is this?
    Also, let's be realistic, there are some people pulling scams - absolutely. But to say that everyone out there is funneling thousands home to a mansion is simply not true. Some people begging have a sh*t time of it full stop, and are dealing with immigration and social welfare issues. Whether or not you give to them directly or find an appropriate organisation that funds them directly is up to you and what you deem correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

I thought it was common knowledge at this stage that the majority of these are scammers.

Used to live in Dublin and worked just off stephens green. Was a roma begger who pitched nearby and every time she made a few quid would go into corner shop and spend her takings on scratchcards. :(

Never again would I even acknowledge them.

Stick to SVP, samaritans, etc. At least you'll have peace of mind that your money wil be put to god use.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

They are scammers, if it only cost 10 quid to learn that then count yourself lucky. One day when I was back in Eyre Square waiting for a friend, a bunch of the usual suspects of Roma beggers from the city sat down near me. I could not believe the amount of money they were sharing around, its a full scale operation, and they are well off let me tell ya. They called to my family home one day when I was back, same type of note, I didn't give them anything though.

It is widely known down in Limerick, that the "crippled" Roma begger at the weekend market gets dropped off early in the morning and collected in a top of the range jeep.

They are only over here to take advantage of the Irish goodwill, even in a recession, its easy to find a few quid in your pocket to hand over, but these are pro's. Was in the upstairs of supermacs in Limerick having lunch a few years back, when a number of the Roma young adults and children were sent up, out of sight of the workers, and went around to each table of people eating showing the same type of note. Its a shame that it goes on, but best for it to be let known.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I drove by a building today where dodgy men in black uniforms pass around bowls begging for money which is sent to a place called Roma. And people put money into these bowls, even though people associated with these 'men in black' are known to be serial child abusers.

What is the point of this thread?

If you want to give money to a good cause, there are plenty out there. If you are stupid enough to give money to some woman who calls to your door, good luck. Just like those 'charity' collections that seem to pop through the letter box every week, they are all scams too.

There are millions starving in Somalia right now. There are any amount of worthy organisations looking for your funds. I don't see the point of giving money to someone who calls to your door with a 'sob story'. If you hand over cash, it's your own look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm confused by what you wrote. I too have a (couple of) Romanian friends, well friends of friends. They dress pretty much like I do. You mention this woman dresses like 'Romanian women' do, what is this?
    Also, let's be realistic, there are some people pulling scams - absolutely. But to say that everyone out there is funneling thousands home to a mansion is simply not true. Some people begging have a sh*t time of it full stop, and are dealing with immigration and social welfare issues. Whether or not you give to them directly or find an appropriate organisation that funds them directly is up to you and what you deem correct.

I just meant like the ones you see out begging, maybe I should of put it in inverted commas. I know not all of them dress like that.

I wasnt saying that everyone out there are scamming people, I just repeated what I was told. There are some here trying to make a life for themselves by not begging and getting jobs. For example my friend who is Romanian has set up her own business here in Ireland and it is a very successful one at that. She nor her family have ever been out begging but she has told me that you cannot trust the Romanians, some of them have even tried to con her family and that she herself doesnt trust them. However I agree with you that not all of them of scammers, but when you hear things like what I've been told, I tend to be wary of them all.

inisboffin wrote: »

I just meant like the ones you see out begging, maybe I should of put it in inverted commas. I know not all of them dress like that.

I wasnt saying that everyone out there are scamming people, I just repeated what I was told. There are some here trying to make a life for themselves by not begging and getting jobs. For example my friend who is Romanian has set up her own business here in Ireland and it is a very successful one at that. She nor her family have ever been out begging but she has told me that you cannot trust the Romanians, some of them have even tried to con her family and that she herself doesnt trust them. However I agree with you that not all of them of scammers, but when you hear things like what I've been told, I tend to be wary of them all.

I really think

a) a lot of people mix up Roma and Romanian (there are plenty of Romanians who are not Roma, some who are, and Roma who are from other countries. Roma tend to dress in traditional dress so look 'different' here). Someone saying 'you can not trust Romanians who is Romanian themselves - that's just daft (and why should you believe it if they're all untrustworthy? ;) )

b) People need to use common sense. There will be scams and there will be genuine cases of hardship. The trick is *not* to be taken for a ride but neither losing all trust in others, because that would be a sh*t thing too.

celty wrote: »
    I drove by a building today where dodgy men in black uniforms pass around bowls begging for money which is sent to a place called Roma. And people put money into these bowls, even though people associated with these 'men in black' are known to be serial child abusers.

What is the point of this thread?

If you want to give money to a good cause, there are plenty out there. If you are stupid enough to give money to some woman who calls to your door, good luck. Just like those 'charity' collections that seem to pop through the letter box every week, they are all scams too.

There are millions starving in Somalia right now. There are any amount of worthy organisations looking for your funds. I don't see the point of giving money to someone who calls to your door with a 'sob story'. If you hand over cash, it's your own look out.

A) The point of thread is quite obvious i would of thought , To simply warn people not to give this lady money as she seems quite genuinly in need of money

B)I know It was foolish of me to hand over 10e but as someone said a while back if it only cost me 10e to find out then i can consider myself lucky

C) I donate to 2 regular charitys on monthly basis but I didnt really consider this as a reason not to give what I thought was a genuine lady in need of a few bob to pay for food for her kids ( bigger the fool me )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I wonder if upper middle class people from the black sea riviera think all Irish people are itinerants?

Retarded ignorance. Anyone ever been to Romania? Land of the gypsies & beggars?

I have. . . and saw the 2% Romani population.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Does anyone know how to say "fcuk off" in Romanian, I've a feeling in any event the English version will do for anyone who opens the door to this lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

nothing new about scams like this, back in the 1980's in Clybaun area (where I worked) I used to see a Hiace drop a few woman off, and they'd do the rounds and he'd pick them up later.
    This was when you could drive around for months with For Reg as a number plate :)

I keep a note handy, and hand it to them if they call :D only has two words, and the second one is OFF!! ;)

Advertisement