Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Fi.G.H.T.S. Ep. 8: Garou MOTW, 06.08.11

Options
  • 23-07-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Project Fi.G.H.T.S. Episode 8: Are You Okay?

CKXjX.jpg

The usual Project Fi.G.H.T.S. rules apply:

Tournament format is groups into double elimination. (provided at least nine people enter)
    All matches in the brackets will be decided by the best two out of three games.
    In the grand final, the player who came from the loser's bracket must win an extra set.
    Character selection is completely free.
    This tournament will use Dragonslayers' MAME setup.
    Entry will be free.

I'll be taking sign-ups in this thread as well as on the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

Im in if i can find the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

What version you planning on running?

I can bring it on the laptop if need be since XBLA games are a pain to get going at slayers and I think I read somewhere that the PS2 port has issues (though it can't be as bad as the abysmal DC port).

EDIT: Blargh didn't even see that line. Still, the X-Arcade on the MAME setup is pretty wonky so the alternative is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

What version you planning on running?

I can bring it on the laptop if need be since XBLA games are a pain to get going at slayers and I think I read somewhere that the PS2 port has issues (though it can't be as bad as the abysmal DC port).

EDIT: Blargh didn't even see that line. Still, the X-Arcade on the MAME setup is pretty wonky so the alternative is there.

Good idea, thanks. Also I think I will put this back to about 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Blindman's curiosity: What's wrong with the Dreamcast port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

The most obvious one I remember is that there is insanely noticeable lag on most sound effects, a believe there's a lot of input lag all over the place as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why are you moving it to 8pm?

I'd come up for this, but I'd much prefer the 3pm start.

It was moved at the request of someone who was very interested in this but would not be able to arrive until the evening.

What about two or three people who'd be very interested, but would like to get home at a decent hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cloudpaul

What about a 6pm start? That more feasible?
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Blindman's curiosity: What's wrong with the Dreamcast port?

Version Differences - taken from the SRK Wiki

Most Neo-Geo emulators support a Prototype version of Garou:MOTW that should be avoided at all costs. This version has many bugs and changes from the released versions that make unsuitable for real play.

The Neo-Geo AES (home console) and Neo-Geo MVS (arcade) versions are considered the only pure versions, and they are identical. Support for Garou is available on all worthwhile Neo-Geo emulators.

The Japanese Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 versions are the best home console versions. The controls are very tight and the game play is perfect. On the PS2 version during play the words 'Guard Cancel' do not flash on the screen like the other versions do. On the 360 version it fixes that problem. The training mode for PS2/360 are superior to all other versions, they allow for recording and playback of the training dummy's actions. So for practicing setups and other single player training, the PS2/360 versions are the best, even better than the pure Neo-Geo versions. Another thing to take notice is that both the PS2 and 360 versions run at a faster framerate than the original arcade MVS/AES versions. Only takes a bit to adjust to the speed difference and shouldn't cause any problems when running tournaments. The online for the Xbox 360 version is horrible and should be avoided. GGPO/Supercade/Arclive are your better options for online play.

The Dreamcast version is the worst of all possible versions. It offers nothing over the Neo-Geo versions other than the unlockable image gallery and the arranged soundtrack mode. Inputs are delayed, Terry's stage lags the game and some versions show problems with sound effects delaying as much as 2 seconds from when they should play. If possible, select the original soundtrack option instead of the arranged soundtrack, and play on the original GD-ROM to lessen these effects. Even with these adjustments, this is the worst option for play; even playing on an emulator will be more satisfying.

Basically the arcade version has a couple of framerate drops and stuff that are a bit annoying but people consider it to be better than the PS2 version purely because it's the original version.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cloudpaul wrote: »
    What about a 6pm start? That more feasible?

Version Differences - taken from the SRK Wiki

Most Neo-Geo emulators support a Prototype version of Garou:MOTW that should be avoided at all costs. This version has many bugs and changes from the released versions that make unsuitable for real play.

The Neo-Geo AES (home console) and Neo-Geo MVS (arcade) versions are considered the only pure versions, and they are identical. Support for Garou is available on all worthwhile Neo-Geo emulators.

The Japanese Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 versions are the best home console versions. The controls are very tight and the game play is perfect. On the PS2 version during play the words 'Guard Cancel' do not flash on the screen like the other versions do. On the 360 version it fixes that problem. The training mode for PS2/360 are superior to all other versions, they allow for recording and playback of the training dummy's actions. So for practicing setups and other single player training, the PS2/360 versions are the best, even better than the pure Neo-Geo versions. Another thing to take notice is that both the PS2 and 360 versions run at a faster framerate than the original arcade MVS/AES versions. Only takes a bit to adjust to the speed difference and shouldn't cause any problems when running tournaments. The online for the Xbox 360 version is horrible and should be avoided. GGPO/Supercade/Arclive are your better options for online play.

The Dreamcast version is the worst of all possible versions. It offers nothing over the Neo-Geo versions other than the unlockable image gallery and the arranged soundtrack mode. Inputs are delayed, Terry's stage lags the game and some versions show problems with sound effects delaying as much as 2 seconds from when they should play. If possible, select the original soundtrack option instead of the arranged soundtrack, and play on the original GD-ROM to lessen these effects. Even with these adjustments, this is the worst option for play; even playing on an emulator will be more satisfying.

Basically the arcade version has a couple of framerate drops and stuff that are a bit annoying but people consider it to be better than the PS2 version purely because it's the original version.

Odd, and disappointing, I've been enjoying the hell out of the DC port recently.

Anyways, I found something on Neo-Geo.com that directly contradicts the assertions of that Wiki:

http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/dc-reviews/motw-dc/motw-dc.html

I mean, can it be that bad? Considering that the Neo-Geo fanboys think it's pretty flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cloudpaul

That review honestly just looks like some real blind-folded arse licking by neo-geo.com.

1. Scavenger XIII (Rock)
    2. Blinn (Rock/Kevin/Butt/Tizoc)
    3. Chris (Freeman/Terry)
    4. Yreval (Hotaru)
    5. mr_kyle (Tizoc)

Thamks to everyone who took part and to Scavenger XIII for providing the setup.

Sorry I didn't make it up in the end, but jet lag caught up with me.

Advertisement