Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake Swarm (11000+) El Hierro, Canary Islands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Great video here

webcam here is working on and off, sometimes overloaded
    it's dark now too!
    http://www.globale-evolution.de/index.php/el-hierro

Taken from this forum http://www.globale-evolution.de/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=42768#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Images of eruption, including from one from NASA
    6314403043_154105a779_z.jpg
    6326043920_73244d68dd_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

360 degree webcam at La Restinga.

http://www.ilovesantacruz.es/newweb/camara-web-situada-en-la-restinga/2011/11/

It can't be live though because it would be dark there now. :confused:

ETA: I read on a couple of blogs that it is due to go live tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Heard someone in passing, mention that they were going to the Canaries on their holidays next week, and it was on the tip of my tongue to say, "Oh there is an active Volcano there right now that they think might go off big style!" :rolleyes: sure Eskimocat :rolleyes:, that's what they want a random stranger to pop up and tell them! Geese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

eskimocat wrote: »
    Heard someone in passing, mention that they were going to the Canaries on their holidays next week, !

Somewhere above there was a question exactly that which I replied to, I'm guessing next week, their two weeks holiday are long over now and they're back already.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

I'm heading over this day week (to Gran Canaria). Was just looking at the travel advisories on the Dept. of Foreign Affairs website;

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8545
    There continues to be seismic activity south of the island of El Hierro in the Canary Islands. We advise against all travel to the area of La Restinga (located in the south of the island of El Hierro), which has been evacuated by the local authorities.

The Government of the Canary islands operates an alert system, with green, yellow and red alert levels. A red alert is currently in operation for La Restinga. The rest of the island of El Hierro is categorised as on yellow alert. There is currently no alert in place for the other Canary Islands.

Any Irish citizens in El Hierro are encouraged to exercise caution, to register their contact details with the Embassy here, and to monitor the following Canary Government website for updates: http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/dgse/sismo_hierro.html.

so seems they see no cause for concern just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

it seems all the activity has stopped...I hope thats not the end! Ive been waiting for a new volcano/island to break the surface with huge excitement lol:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Monkaa wrote: »
    it seems all the activity has stopped...I hope thats not the end!
    Eh!

Eventos_HIERRO_10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

ok maybe some small earthquakes but they think the vent has closed & there hasnt been any jacuzzis spots. Earthquake report saying its the weakest activity in weeks...just hope it doesnt slow to a stop thats all! I dont know much about volcanos but still in awe over whats happening down there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

The El Hierro 'happenings' got a brief mention towards the end of the Channel 4 News prog this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

as above

11/11/2011 @ 07:28 – After a quieter few days on El Hierro, the strongest earthquake yet has hit the island at 00:20 this morning, a magnitude 4.6 on the Richter scale. It was said to be felt in Tenerife.

from the website http://www.canariesnews.com/2011/09/28/el-hierro-earthquakes-update/

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

gbee wrote: »
    Somewhere above there was a question exactly that which I replied to, I'm guessing next week, their two weeks holiday are long over now and they're back already.

the person I heard talking is not going til the 19th. so time will tell what the situtation is then, not sure what part they are heading to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

rameire wrote: »
    as above

11/11/2011 @ 07:28 – After a quieter few days on El Hierro, the strongest earthquake yet has hit the island at 00:20 this morning, a magnitude 4.6 on the Richter scale. It was said to be felt in Tenerife.

from the website http://www.canariesnews.com/2011/09/28/el-hierro-earthquakes-update/

they're finally starting to get a bit meaty now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

things may kick off again.

11/11/2011 @ 14:23 – The director of the National Geographic Institute has said that they are expecting a possible double eruption to the north of El Hierro both underwater and on land, according to the latest data available to them.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

article-2059576-0EB3C71F00000578-16_470x329.jpg

November 10, 2011CANARY ISLAND – Spain’s Civil Protection for Volcanic Risk has closed two beaches on the island of El Hierro in the Canary Islands because of potentially toxic gasses emanating from an underwater volcano off the island’s shore. The decision came after a technician from the country’s National Geographic Institute had to seek medical treatment after he was taken ill while measuring carbon dioxide levels there the previous day, Spanish TV reported. Authorities on the island insist there is no major risk for the population. In the nearby village of La Restinga, one resident said he noticed unusual behavior from a member of the local feline population, which was scavenging along the shoreline. “We were looking at a cat that was eating in these pools, and the fish in them were dead. We thought the cat was some rare breed, and was it normal that he was eating dead fish,” the man said. The island has experienced hundreds of low intensity earthquakes due to volcanic activity. Witnesses say that explosions from the underwater volcano sometimes blasted 25 meters above sea level. -Telegraph

Another webcam... this one seems to work. The two tabs show different views, one with the town and the other zoomed to the sea.

http://hierroendirecto.movistar.es/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's been a spike in the tremors in the last few minutes, if you can see it in the graph properly :P Waiting to see if anythings reported. The webcams have gotten a bit shaky since about 3.15

CHIE_2011-11-14_15-16.jpg

EDIT: It's calmed down significantly now. Around the 27-30 minute mark, there was some large spiking and some steam rising from the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I can't tell if its wind or not but both cameras mentioned above are shaking a good bit!

Translated..

385910_10150407930753447_163883668446_8441335_1202792378_n.jpg

Saw this too, is your image a screen grab or a download?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Maquiladora spends 3 and a half months telling us the daily possibility of the impending eruption.

Volcano erupts and maquiladora disappears.

Maquiladora thinks it more interesting when a volcano is about to erupt rather than when its actually erupting....

How does this make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Maq is the god of great info.

Awaiting the return..

Of the Maq!

Have to agree totally, always look forward to reading the posts from Maq!

For the latest on El Hierro, follow this Twitter account
    @VolcanoReport

It provides links to relevant stories, images, etc.

Some other useful links - Earthquake Report
    Latest earthquakes below
    sismos_cana_move_vol.gif

List of quakes

IGN WEBSITE

AVCAN.org

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yep. Readings are off the graph once more, back to similar readings before the opening underwater. Something else is brewing!

CHIE_2011-11-17.jpg

Enderman wrote: »
    Yep. Readings are off the graph once more, back to similar readings before the opening underwater. Something else is brewing!

This image has changed since earlier this evening, did you change it or is it live? Are all the others posted live too? Or what?

Thanks.

gbee wrote: »
    This image has changed since earlier this evening, did you change it or is it live? Are all the others posted live too? Or what?

Thanks.

I've a live one for this hour, sorry, should have mentioned.

I watched Krakatoa, East of Java on RTE2 this afternoon. It's made me hungry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

I watched Krakatoa, East of Java on RTE2 this afternoon. It's made me hungry. :(

99 0/0 certain it was west of java (pedant here)

• Advertisement

99 0/0 certain it was west of java (pedant here)

Maybe your % is correct, but I think the film was, east, I'd have to look it up.

Advertisement