Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake Swarm (11000+) El Hierro, Canary Islands

Options

Comments

I watched Krakatoa, East of Java on RTE2 this afternoon. It's made me hungry. :(

in that case this might fill ye up a bit, Check out this video, amazing ::eek:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=158407480844693

gbee wrote: »
    Maybe your % is correct, but I think the film was, east, I'd have to look it up.

looked it up for you Gbee:)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064555/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Jake1 wrote: »
    looked it up for you Gbee:)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064555/

would it be possible to get that close, temperature wise, it just did not look right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

New eruptive activity - webcams

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/11/12/32535/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

For those of you who read Jon Frimann's blog and may have missed it, and others of you who are adding to their volcanic bookmarks, some of the regular posters like Lurking (with his brilliant plots) and Carl le Strange due to a difference of opinion have broken away and formed a new blog of their own.

Volcano Cafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Thanks for link , I think carl was totally childish, they messed up a blog that was going so well, dont think I want to follow because of that but I probably will out of interest in what they write.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thanks for link , I think carl was totally childish, they messed up a blog that was going so well, dont think I want to follow because of that but I probably will out of interest in what they write.

I don't think they were childish and I don't think they have messed up Jon's blog. I believe something like that was bound to happen. Lurking and Carl between them answered about 90% of questions asked on the blog. If they hadn't it wouldn't have been quite as informative as it was as I've noticed Jon doesn't tend to answer questions much. So when a couple of new names suddenly start bitching about off topic chat and they started getting virtual raps on the knuckles, I imagine they felt, as adults, that given what they put into the blog they were entitled to get annoyed. Obviously those new posters hadn't been following the blog for long so perhaps did not realise that the bulk of the information there came from the two of them.

In my opinion, Jon should have stuck to Icelandic volcanoes, and Erik over at Wired should have checked out how the volume of traffic on his blog would work in sync with Wired. I only check Eruptions sporadically now as the Wired set up is slow and annoying for an old stick in the mud like myself whereas when it was on Big Think I had it permanently open as it was clear, quick and easy to follow. But what do I know! :D I'm a blog whore so I follow as many of them as interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

Totally agree - I have followed Jon's blog for some time and can't quite believe how quickly relationships deteriorated between some of the main contributors there. I still follow jonfr and occasionally drop in on volcanocafe (and feel a bit guilty about it) but sincerely hope that Jon's blog continues successfully.

Lurking and Carl between them answered about 90% of questions asked on the blog. If they hadn't it wouldn't have been quite as informative as it was as I've noticed Jon doesn't tend to answer questions much.

I see your point there but from what I read Carl left the blog because Jon was adding a forum to the blog for off-topic conversations but was keeping the blog as was, and from what I saw Carl threw a strop like a child and refused to even see how it worked. Whatever the reasons anyways its a pity to see it divided was nice to have all the information in one blog.

Thanks for your links anyways always find them interesting and like you will probably follow both blogs!

• Advertisement

mvron wrote: »
    Totally agree - I have followed Jon's blog for some time and can't quite believe how quickly relationships deteriorated between some of the main contributors there. I still follow jonfr and occasionally drop in on volcanocafe (and feel a bit guilty about it) but sincerely hope that Jon's blog continues successfully.

lol I feel guilty too as Jón's blog is great and hate to see it go downhill

Research ship at site of eruption today

According to earthquake report: "The eruption webcam has not zoomed yet, but we see a well defined eruption vent in the distance. The vent itself is at the left side of the lighter stain and the sea current (wave direction) is pushing the erupted material to the right. The position of the event is similar than a couple of days ago ."
    eh-29112011-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jeez you'd think it would stop teasing and break the surface, i excpect a new ryanair destination shortly afterwards

actually, seriously whats the prospect of it breaking through and creating a new island ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Today on the Beeb.

_57089546_larestinga_2_624.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15917740

Elsewhere, tremor count.

Eventos_HIERRO_10.jpg

Hope those tremors do not continue to make their way north to La Palma, as they look like they are doing. Any eruptive activity there could be somewhat dangerous.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hope those tremors do not continue to make their way north to La Palma, as they look like they are doing. Any eruptive activity there could be somewhat dangerous.

Long way to go, the northern swarm does appear to be spreading northward a tad but by a tad I mean 1 or 2 km.

In case anyone wonders why La Palma is more important than El Hierro I suggest they read this first then this

_57089544_canary_islands624x330.gif

heres an update from the El Hierro President, from yesterday. Some very interesting points.

Diario de Avisos had an interview with Alpidio Armas, the president of El Hierro. One of the most important quotes Mr. Armas said, was that the volcano grew 80 meters the last couple of weeks. The change in depth was measured by the oceanographic ship Ramon Margalef. The first bathymetry took place on October 24 (2 weeks after the start of the eruption) and the last one last week. Mr. Armas also said that according to the data of the Ramon Margelef 3 vents are active now and then.

What to expect next ?
    Based on Mr. Armas interview and taking into account a number of uncertainties, Earthquake-Report.com expects that :

- if the eruption continues at the present rate and in the same vent, it will take max. 2 weeks to arrive at a depth less than 100 meter. We than expect very strong Jacuzzis during the hydromagmatic bursts.

- if the same process continues for about 3 to 4 weeks and in the same vent we expect regular hydrovolcanic explosions during the bursts.

- if the same process goes on 5 to 6 weeks the eruption may become Surtseyan. This is the most spectacular phase of the eruption. During this phase of the eruption ash and steam clouds can reach hundreds of meters to several km in height. Particular to Surtseyan eruptions are the thick,dark-pointed jets of fragments, often headed by bombs, shot out of the vent.

- if the same process goes on 7 to 8 weeks and in the same vent, the eruption will have created at least a new island
    - the main vent is at a safe distance from La Restinga, so we do not see immediate danger for the population. 90% of the time the wind blows from the north or north east at this time of the year and accordingly the eventual ash will be blown further in the Las Calmas sea, avoiding damage at La Restinga..

- If a new island forms, it may indicate several months of uncertainty for the La Restinga population as nobody knows how long the eruption will last and when it will finally stop for a longer time as there may be several new eruptive periods.
    Our expectation is based on medium harmonic tremor like we had the last couple of days. In case of strong or very strong harmonic tremor the time to get to these different phases may well be a lot shorter.

If our expectations are coming true, the eruption will make El Hierro appearing in every news show in the world. The island will start to attract visitors from all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Great post jake1. Are there any guesses as to how long the eruption will go on for? Would be great to see footage of a new island spouting!

Overall the seismics are much quieter in the past week.

Eventos_HIERRO_10.jpg

Speaking of new volcanic islands, here is one in the Red Sea

jebelzubair_ali_2011357.jpg
    An eruption occurred in the Red Sea in December 2011. According to news reports, fishermen witnessed lava fountains reaching up to 30 meters (90 feet) tall on December 19. The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra and Aqua satellites observed plumes on December 20 and December 22. Meanwhile, the Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) on NASA’s Aura satellite detected elevated levels of sulfur dioxide, further indicating an eruption.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=76801

• Advertisement

heres a video of that island in the red Sea. amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMLNEJC-Nk

webcams at El Hierro back up and running. There is some smoke on the water this morning .

http://www.hierroendirecto.movistar.es/

webcams at El Hierro back up and running. There is some smoke on the water this morning .

:D

yeah Im watching it here, Mike, lot of activity on the surface.

the zone cam is working great today, plenty of zoomage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Still think it's such a shame this wasn't on land, it would have been spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Still think it's such a shame this wasn't on land, it would have been spectacular.

Actually there are many examples on land, The Hawaii island chain, the Icelandic Lava Flows and so on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bump. She was starting to stir a bit but now... now all is completely quiet. No activity at all after lunchtime yesterday.

CHIE_2012-01-19.jpg

Still spewing away but the deep magma rising is what mainly causes the earthquakes so who knows for how long it will continue to spew. A few weeks probably.

It is unlikely to get more kinetic if this graphic is anything to go by.

elhierro-17102011-2.jpg

lot more smoke and big lava bombs today being shot to the surface

cam link

http://212.170.244.196/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

lot more smoke and big lava bombs today being shot to the surface

cam link

http://212.170.244.196/

There's a little boat going quite close to the jaccuzzi ! :eek: Some of the blobs make quite a spray when they pop up, wouldn't be too reassured that close to it myself.
    Would love to see a video from that boat though, hope they're researchers we might get images ?

Advertisement