Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake Swarm (11000+) El Hierro, Canary Islands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Could this send big swells in Ireland's direction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Geomy wrote: »
    Could this send big swells in Ireland's direction ?

Probably unlikely. Would probably need half of el hierro to drop into the sea to give us any cause for concern

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

A very big 3.8 has been recorded at a depth of 15km tonight. Biggest in recent events.

IGN graph has no data available at present but here's a screenshot from E.R. The last i checked there was continued HT.

http://www.ign.es/ign/head/volcaSenalesDiasAnterioresCuasiReal.do?nombreFichero=CHIE_2013-03-21&estacion=CHIE&tipo=1&Anio=2013&Mes=03&Dia=21

Appears to have been an approx 3.0 about 20 minutes after the 3.8.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Now over 100 tremors today over 2.5

enhanced sound recording of the following chart

http://www.01.ign.es/ign/resources/volcanologia/DATOS/2013/CHIE/imagenes_sismica/HORA_SP/CHIE_2013-03-25_15-16_sp.jpg

recording here

http://chirb.it/rNp23K

havent listened myself, speakers feked, looking for head phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Sorry to ask but is this the place that could trigger a big Tsunami? Also what are the chances of it just settling down ?

Just looking at the map of the Canary Islands shows that El Hierro is just south of La Palma, what is to stop El Hierro causing the same potential Tsunami damage into the Atlantic Ocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

youtube! wrote: »
    Just looking at the map of the Canary Islands shows that El Hierro is just south of La Palma, what is to stop El Hierro causing the same potential Tsunami damage into the Atlantic Ocean?

You can see from the shape of the island that it has suffered from huge landslides in its lifetime. The biggest one is the most obvious.

hierro4.gif

The earthquakes at the moment are very strong, almost as strong as you can get with volcanic earthquakes there (about 5 would be the max). At the moment though they are centered out at sea and the most likely eventual outcome will be another undersea eruption and rockfalls on the island from the big quakes (some of those have already happened). I wouldn't worry about a huge part of the island collapsing, that might not happen again for thousands of years.

Very interesting than you !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Strong tremors again, a 4.1 has been recorded. There was a temporary power outage on the island and reports of rockfalls also.
    190 quakes recorded today, 12 over 3 in the last hour.

Screen-Shot-2013-03-29-at-00.05.09.jpg

• Advertisement

Strong tremors again, a 4.1 has been recorded. There was a temporary power outage on the island and reports of rockfalls also.
    190 quakes recorded today, 12 over 3 in the last hour.

In the past 4 hours, 4.3, 4.6, 4.4, 4.2. I'd be getting more than a little nervous at this stage if i lived down there.

Duiske wrote: »
    In the past 4 hours, 4.3, 4.6, 4.4, 4.2. I'd be getting more than a little nervous at this stage if i lived down there.

If I had the money Id be on a flight over there :)

4.9 recorded in the last hour @ 10km depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:o... whats... going on over there?

She's awake again!

Crst_2013-12-22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Does it look like there's going to be some constant activity, Cherry? It's been such a busy with nothing in particular year that I haven't been able to keep my usual eagle eye on volcanoes and earthquakes. I've missed them. Hoping 2014 is quiet in terms of major disasters but allowing me plenty of time to watch and study the small stuff. :)

There's only been some 2.0 judders, who knows really. The depth of the quakes were deep too so it seems.

121 quakes recorded since yesterday. Looks like Magma has moved to a different area but is sitting 14km deep. Wait and see if it rises or not.

Carl December 27, 2013 at 20:42
    Okay, this I know what it is…

That is on the prolonged line of the western fissure swarm. What we are seeing is basically a Laki style intrusions. Magma has pooled under the fissure swarm, and as the fissure above got tensioned enough it broke (earthquake) and then magma gushed up in huge amounts (seen on the seismos as the low frequency coda).
    We will soon see a fissure eruption out at sea. It might actually form a new volcanic center. This is big… really big. And totally unexpected

from volcanocafe

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I'd want to be at the bottom of a hill filming a possible landslide! :eek:

I'm not sure that I'd want to be at the bottom of a hill filming a possible landslide! :eek:

haha, I was thinking the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Could very well be a non magma intrusion event.

Translated from

http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/noticias/index.jsp?module=1&page=nota.htm&id=156054
    Press Releases / Organizational /PRINT VIEW
    So far IGN has no evidence to link the 5.1 earthquake with a new process of magmatic intrusion west of Orchilla

12/27/2013 ... 23:22 - Ministry of Economy, Finance and Security
    This morning we reported on the seismic series of El Pinar.

The National Geographic Institute has informed the Government of the Canary Islands who has not, so far, evidence directly linking the 5.1 earthquake and its aftershocks, located during the afternoon 10 miles west of El Hierro, with a new process magmatic intrusion in the epicentral area. This series has been produced in the same area in which the severe reactivation of March this year was located. IGN For the possible existence of pre-existing fractures and almost continuous accumulation of deformations in the Island may be related to this activity, although should not be ruled out an origin of more regional scale. After this earthquake has been no apparent change in the number recorded in recent days in the El Pinar on which, as you may recall, this morning it was reported after the Committee's conclusions yes the scientist linked to a process of magmatic intrusion. Anyway responsible for volcano monitoring and other scientific institutions related to the Civil Protection Plan for Volcanic Risk (PEVOLCA) continue to conduct comprehensive monitoring information which would enable a more complete in the coming hours.

After the events of last year, I would not take the above as 100% correct.

https://twitter.com/112canarias

The debate continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This is still going on?
    Been out of touch with all this for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

This is still going on?
    Been out of touch with all this for ages!

Well... never really stopped. Slowed down allot.

Next few days and weeks will tell if an submarine eruption happens.

Sorry for the bump but I found this interesting. A team of divers exploring the volcanic remains underwater finds water life adapting to what was spewed out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Daily Mirror (i know, i know) reporting today about fresh tsunami fears from half of La Palma collapsing into the ocean due to recent earthquakes

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/scientists-rushed-monitor-earthquakes-under-11405981

Rikand wrote: »
    Daily Mirror (i know, i know) reporting today about fresh tsunami fears from half of La Palma collapsing into the ocean due to recent earthquakes

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/scientists-rushed-monitor-earthquakes-under-11405981
    That's up there with Yellowstone blowing up, could happen at any time in the next 50,000 years or so.
    I'd better move inland.... oh wait ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

That's some alarmist bull****. Some people are actually going to be worried after reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Well if weather BOMB doesn't kill them first :)

Advertisement