Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake Swarm (11000+) El Hierro, Canary Islands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

The harmonic tremor has started to go "off the scale" since about 7am this morning. You can see at the top of the spectrogram, the blue has turned into more of a solid block over the last couple of hours, indicating that the peaks are higher than what can actually be depicted.

Can you explain what this might mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

jessie37 wrote: »
    The harmonic tremor has started to go "off the scale" since about 7am this morning. You can see at the top of the spectrogram, the blue has turned into more of a solid block over the last couple of hours, indicating that the peaks are higher than what can actually be depicted.

Can you explain what this might mean?

Could be that a new vent will open somewhere or if might just be a more intense phase, will have to wait and see if it drops again.

:eek: Looks crazy , lets hope it dies down for the people of El Hierro. Must be a nerve wrecking time for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Interesting on the other volcanic island, La Gomera, there was a few shakes on its seismogram prior to this 'awakening' on El Hierro. Since El Hierro started yesterday morning, there hasn't been a shake from it. HOWEVER, its started to pick up those tremors from El Hierro. It's highly unlikely, but is there a fraction of a chance El Hierro could trigger this?

Enderman wrote: »
    Interesting on the other volcanic island, La Gomera, there was a few shakes on its seismogram prior to this 'awakening' on El Hierro. Since El Hierro started yesterday morning, there hasn't been a shake from it. HOWEVER, its started to pick up those tremors from El Hierro. It's highly unlikely, but is there a fraction of a chance El Hierro could trigger this?

Gomera is just detecting the tremor from El Hierro since it is not too far away. I haven't seen any diagrams showing the El Hierro plumbing system connected to Gomera so I don't think there is any chance of it triggering anything there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

From Twitter:
    teideano

@eruptionsblog some reports of felt tremor by some....ok, really prelimianr and needs confirmation, but if felt, then we have a problem.

Meanwhile the intensity is still increasing, the charts are almost unreadable close up now. Best bet is to keep an eye on the 24 hour chart and see if it ups the ante or not. There was a few lulls this morning, both of which ended with an increase in intensity than prior to the lull.

Via Twitter..

Whose Twitter account was that tweeted from?

Evacuation under way in El Hierro

Was just about to say, yep. El Hierro is now under evacuation process.

teideano

@eruptionsblog Evacuation under way in El Hierro, evacuation under way in El Hierro. Magma migration should be inland.

Bit of false information on Twitter's behalf, only La Restinga is being evacuated, more than likely to the east of the Island.

• Advertisement

From what I have seen from AVCAN, it is just the population of La Restinga that is being evacuated. I've seen a figure of 600 mentioned. It seems to be due to fears of the possibility that of new eruption areas closer to the coast or maybe even on land.

So the tremor felt an hour ago is confirmed here (video of shaking table in La Restinga). The reports of the tremors sent the officials to evacuate the area ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd have thought there would be more shaking than in that video! My water bottle beside my keyboard is shaking just as much while I type :pac:

Do you think they will evacuate the whole island but are concentrating on the La Restinga as it's most likely to be near any inland eruption?

Do you think they will evacuate the whole island but are concentrating on the La Restinga as it's most likely to be near any inland eruption?

Well the patterns of the quakes since July have been of southwards one. However some recorded tremors and quakes have been closer to land in the last 12 hours. Better safe than sorry though. A complete island evacuation is not on the cards if it continues underwater.

The eruptive history of El Hierro isn't much of an explosive one either so even if we had some eruptions on land it'd be nowhere near the activity of the Icelandic volcanoes. Landslides are more of a concern and anywhere east/northeast of the island is more than safe safe unless something completely out of the blue change of pattern emerges.

EDIT: AVCAN has confirmed the island is now on RED ALERT (I love having a Spanish tongue wife :D)

I've seen some speculation that the eruption may not have actually started yet and that what happened yesterday under the sea off the coast was just a release of gases & not magma (hence the dead fish, but no big earthquakes).

We could still see an euption on the island itself.

It is only the La Restinga area that is now Red on the traffic light system, but that could change as this progresses.

The tremor is still going strong.

This is the latest from the local media : (translated)
    16:28 The epicentre of the latest earthquakes moves toward the center of El Hierro. The National Geographic Institute expects earthquakes of greater intensity - between 4 and 5 degrees - under the pressure of the lava in search of a new point of departure.

http://foro.tiempo.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=135081.0;attach=180320;image

Not sure where this came from, but it is a comparison between the harmonic tremor before the Mount Shishaldin, Alaska eruption (1999 I think) to the current harmonic tremor at El Hierro.

Now I'm sure it probably isn't right to compare the pattern between two different volcanic systems since every volcano is different, but if you compare the "red" areas and how high they reach in terms of Hz, then the amount of energy in the current El Heirro tremor would lead to a VEI 4+ eruption, if it was happening at Shishaldin.......

Edit : Local media A3Canarias is tweeting an eruption is "imminent" and could happen tonight. Don't know what their source is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

It's looking like a new canary island being born isn't it?

Some more info from the local news media there.
    11/10/2011 20:42 – Joan Martí, a researcher at the CSIC (Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra) and secretary of the ‘Asociación Internacional de Vulcanología’ (International association of vulcanology) has stated that “As the magma approaches the coast of El Hierro, it could trigger an explosive eruption if it occurs at a depth of less than 200 metres but would not be dangerous if appropriate safety measures are taken”. It is thought that the magma could be following a fault under the sea bed which is known to run underneath the island and could currently be looking for another way to escape to the surface. Scientists have observed that the magma is currently moving towards the centre of the island.

Meanwhile, the tremor is still ongoing as strong as ever.

• Advertisement

The tremor seems to be getting more intense over the last couple of hours. It's hard to see on the El Hierro chart because the tremor is too strong for the instrumentation/parameters and it is" clipping" /going off the chart. But looking at nearby stations on some of the other islands, you can see more clearly that the distant tremor has become more intense.

The magma is moving and looking for the easiest route up, it doesn't care if that is at sea or on land. If it cannot find an easy route then it will blast its way up and there could be some big earthquakes, but at least that will give some warning of where it will happen.

Jon Frimann has pointed out that there have been new deep earthquakes today which indicates even more magma is rising up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 donzenettii

I feel sorry for all the people on the Island, I can't imagine being evacuated from my home and left wondering if it is going to just slide into the sea, :(

Indications on the charts at the moment is that tremor activity is beginning to ease a little. Wait and see if it starts building again soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Enderman = Cherrygoast?

Certainly an interesting situation at the moment, not been picked up by the mainstream media yet but it seems to be getting more serious the longer they don't know where the main eruption will take place

Harps wrote: »
    Enderman = Cherrygoast?

Certainly an interesting situation at the moment, not been picked up by the mainstream media yet but it seems to be getting more serious the longer they don't know where the main eruption will take place

Yeah sorry, name change this morning :o

Enderman wrote: »
    Indications on the charts at the moment is that tremor activity is beginning to ease a little. Wait and see if it starts building again soon though.

Yes, hard to see much change on the El Hierro spectrogram but from the "view" on the other islands it looks like the tremor has eased back down to the level it was at earlier this evening, but its still very high.

But it's at a stage now where a new eruption event could happen with little or no warning at any moment.

I don't think I'd be able to sleep tonight if I was living on El Hierro. :eek:

Good 3D model of the island and beneath water surface

307731_303216163026417_297867306894636_1432563_542284428_n.jpg

Also the tremor progessions since the harmonic tremors began

tremor-4.jpg

Still off the scales currently but its actually not as intense as it was.

Also, the accumulated energy down there has levelled off. Still a massive 1.3 TRILLION joules. One wonders what these new deep quakes will do though, pushing up magma and increasing the energy, unless the current tremors give way to something beforehand

energia_HIERRO.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Type: Earthquake
    3 hours ago
    Magnitude: 2.6
    DateTime: Wednesday October 12 2011, 08:41:41 UTC
    Region: Canary Islands, Spain Region
    Depth: 14 km
    Source: CSEM-EMSC Feed

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/map_detail.php?id=138812

Also notice the 'line' of earthquakes Canary Islands, Spain, Germany, Estonia

The tremor is still ongoing, but it is a bit weaker than it was last night.

No major developments.

• Advertisement

Tremors have been up and down today. Quitening down for a short period before bursting into more powerful tremors. Accumulated energy has started to rise slowly once again.
    CHIE_2011-10-12.jpg

Advertisement