Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake Swarm (11000+) El Hierro, Canary Islands

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Very interesting that it built up back to very high levels before just giving way. I wonder if there's been an opening underwater?

From Twitter:
    pabloj_gonzalez Pablo J. González
    Given that prior to reduction, an increase in higher frequencies occurred. Explosive events couldn't discarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Jón Frímann:

October 12th, 2011 at 15:13
    This is not good. The current eruption did just stop and now the magma has to find a new path up the surface.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

jessie37 wrote: »
    Jón Frímann:

October 12th, 2011 at 15:13
    This is not good. The current eruption did just stop and now the magma has to find a new path up the surface.

Given quake trends it might swing northwards towards land, as predicted

Look at that huge spike before the dropoff :o

CHIE_2011-10-12_14-15_sp.jpg

EDIT: There is now suggestions that an eruption could have indeed happened

tweet: pabloj_gonzalez Pablo J. González

@rschott @teideano We hope our man on ground. Could inform us. It could be a key point in the evolution of the volcanic phenomena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Jón Frímann:

October 12th, 2011 at 15:28

The magma that was erupting has stopped because it closed the crater it was erupting trough. This regularly happens in eruptions like this and it is a dangerous events. As now the magma has to find a new path to the surface.

Some earthquakes might now happen following this as has been mentioned here before. The earthquakes would happen just before the new fissure opens up or a new vent that is going to erupt.

• Advertisement

AVCAN now reporting that a robot will be sent down around the area to have a look. So definitely no eruption so it seems. Was thinking that it looked too small to be an eruption, especially in such a short timescale when it was building up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

On the spectrogram above you can see the cluster of yellow lines right before the tremor drops. Those are earthquakes and looks to me (like others have said) that the magma flow has gotten stuck and has at least been forced to slow down. That could cause a build up of pressure and lead to some strong earthquakes/a new eruption if the magma find a new path upwards.

Edit : Tremor looks to be gradually rising again on the latest update but still way below what it was it.

Somethings up (translated):
    authorities have given order to all journalists on the island this afternoon to go to the capital of the island to give an urgent press conference.
    2 minutes ago

Edit: Tremor is rising again on the latest update. One more rise like that it should be back to where it was before it suddenly dropped.

A number of experts claim that we are witnessing the birth of a new volcano. :eek:

Tremor is back down again.

Meanwhile the local media seem to be saying that two eruption vents have been confirmed now off the coast, one at 700m and one at 500m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Im not sure if this is from a good source but i thought id share
    what are we looking at? it looks like a silent video of someone flying round el hierro filming the sea. don't see any eruptions or anything and with no sound it could be anywhere.

there's a few different shades in the sea, but that could be anything.

sorry for p1ssing on your campfire, i'm just not sure what we're supposed to be looking at. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I think the video is trying to show the green sludge that was mentioned earlier. It's more obvious towards the end of the video.

There's now officially 10,031 earthquakes recorded as of this morning.

The movement of quakes tracked

314399_10150363451708447_163883668446_8203325_653517243_n.jpg

Still nothing spectacular today. Here's an aerial photo of the islands this morning

308107_10150364624013447_163883668446_8208460_97394503_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Enderman wrote: »
    Still nothing spectacular today. Here's an aerial photo of the islands this morning

308107_10150364624013447_163883668446_8208460_97394503_n.jpg

Reminds me of this clip from Finding Nemo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MnK2DxEp8

• Registered Users Posts: 35 J1

Heading to Lanzarote on Sat. Are we likely to be effeted by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

J1 wrote: »
    Heading to Lanzarote on Sat. Are we likely to be effeted by this?

Currently, probably not. It's nearly 300miles distant ~ it is a phenomenon that is not predictable and a full scale eruption with resultant ash and debris could, naturally become a problem.

I wouldn't rate the risk ~ generally that area has a reputation for catastrophic calamities ~ this event is not thought to be one of them.

heres the latest video up date. Quite the impressive whirlpool. I almost want to go diving down there...:o

Word for the day. Surtsayen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2I8ub2e6qM&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

gnarly whirlpool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

La Restinga, this afternoon. Scary looking.

LaRestinga.jpg

@teideano
    Amazing shake right now!!! OMG, the whole road jumped as i was doing some measurements!!
    22 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Changes at El Hierro today. Two 3.9 earthquakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

For those interested program on volcanoes on Eden channel right now (532) called Earth_ Power of the planet. Dr Iain Stewart. Seems good, says he's going to explore a lava lake and caves. Eruption footage right now.

There has really been a dramatic increase in earthqukes in the past couple of days, especially today.

GEvoProfundidad10dias.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

(Their formatting not mine). After all this we still don't actually have a new Canary Island, tomorrow perhaps. ?? :p

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/
    Important update 01/11 – 08:19 UTC
    - Scientists have found large smoking lava in the Las Calmas sea in front of La Restinga (earlier jacuzzi area).
    - It is hard to believe that we still do not have a webcam (and/or time lapse camera) directed on the stain. Such a camera would not only be great for us followers, but also for science. The Sakurajima volcano is a good example for the results.
    - The currently installed webcam @ Frontera should be directed towards the El Golfo Bay during the current events.
    - The University of Cadiz has said that the deformation is decreasing in the south because of the eruption and is gradually increasing in the El Golfo area (earthquake area). The university of Cadiz is cannot rule out a possible eruption in the Frontera bay area (ER: nobody can rule out anything at the moment. All instances are making their best guess, a volcano is unpredictable as where and when he/she will erupt. A major earthquake (M 4.5 to 5.5) may put events in a final direction or it may simple stop suddenly.)
    - Yesterday was the most seismic active since October 8 – 153 earthquakes were counted and 6 were greater than M 3
    - Today a new 3.9 magnitude quake was felt at 04:15 UTC. 2 quakes were greater or equal to M 3
    - a stronger harmonic tremor has been recorded since 07:00 this morning (see below at the end of the graphic)

Accumulated energy has gone through the roof in recent days, moreso than the building up before the underwater release. It now stands at almost 4 BILLION joules.

energia_HIERRO_10.jpg

Meanwhile the actual stored energy lately has soared also, something else definitely stirring down there.
    energia_HIERRO.jpg

It's very interesting to see the radical change in pattern in the last 2 weeks as the tremors were gradually shifting northwards.

Not 100% sure but it may be very faint cloudy waters. But then again some of that gas from the previous eruption has seeped over to the west side of the island, so it wouldn't be uncommon to spot THAT

• Advertisement

We're about to break 11000 quakes this evening I think!

Also personally speaking I don't see much happening within the next few days. Quakes are still deep and it'll probably be a few weeks before significant progress, if anything, happens at all

Advertisement