Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road bike or Cyclocross - Please help!

• 23-07-2011 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello,
    I am looking for advice. I ride on paved trails alone and with others. I cannot help myself and continue to take off on the dirt and grass periodically at a hard pace, or down the beach road when the urge so hits (while the others stay on the pavement, ..then I come back). (Maybe too many hours behind the computer working on photos and elderly mom care) Many times I take my camera with me when alone to ride off the paved trail to around ponds to search out shore birds. So I do quite "trash" my bike. But, I need to be able to go fast on the trail & roads with other groups, but cannot go fast enough on my Trek Utopia to keep up with these more advanced riders.
    Question: Get a Road Bike (I keep my Utopia)?? Or maybe get a Cyclocross for road???
    Thinking a stronger bike like a Cyclocross would hold up better if I so hit the dirt or ride down curbs -a little bit...? But with road tires.
    What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A cyclocross bike isn't really any stronger than a road bike, it just has greater tyre clearances.

Road and cyclocross bikes are very strong. As long as you're running correct tyre pressures, you will break before the bike does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

bknoll,
    Where are you going to be riding? If FL than I guess a mountain bike is totally out of the question.

Every now and then devilment begets us and we head out on our mountain bikes to toast some roadies. I don't know why roadies are so adverse to being passed by mountain bikers, but it is a great work out since we don't have the big front chain ring.

Anyhow, a proper cyclocross bike is a nice bit of kit and a ton of fun. Have you any in mind?

The cyclocross frame is more relaxed than a road bike, but should be light. During a race you'll be lifting and shouldering. I believe they keep the shouldering in mind when they design the geometry. I have a GT Zaskar mtb and there's no way you would shoulder that.

I think you should go with the cyclocross. I was going to recommend a mountain bike, but not in FL.

My mountain bike does not give up much to the roadies. I have XT/XTR combo and a lock out SID. It is light and fast. With a set of slicks and American Classics, she flies. If only it were easier to get a big chain ring...

If you do get a cyclocross frame, here's the fork by Wound Up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A road bike is still a lot faster, and a better general ride, on the road. I'd say control your urges to feck about and get a road bike. A proper MTB down proper singletrack will also be a lot more fun than fecking around on grass and so on. Keep your current bike for the fecking around, you will probably tire of it when you realise how nice a good road bike rides- on the road.

A cyclocross bike is very good at racing cross and can be a good compromise IF you can only have one bike- but it will always be compromised compared to a road bike on-road or a MTB off-road. I have/had three cyclocross frames used as cyclocross racer, tourer and commuter... I would not ride them unloaded on the road or off-road, I have a road bike and MTB which do those jobs far better.

Advertisement