Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap PC for internet and MS Office?

Options
  • 23-07-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

My father is considering dumping his old laptop and picking up a cheap, reliable desktop. All he needs it for is browsing the internet, using Word and Excel and thats really it. So no graphics card or powerful processor needed!

I'm not sure whethegetting a desktop is the cheapest option though. Would he be more advised to get a netbook or something along those lines? He doesnt need it to be portable as he only uses it at home.

I dont know how cheap a setup like this could be. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

budget? I assume he doesn't have a monitor or keyboard and mouse?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Total build cost: €295.14 + €30 shipping
    MSI H61M-E33 (B3), Intel H61, mATX, DDR3 €52.86
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155 €96.41
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.06
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.60
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ) €33.59
    4GB-Kit Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9 €22.01

PSU is overkill, but its hard to get a cheaper one thats reliable. It does mean that you can add a graphics card later on if its ever needed though. If its just internet and office you can save money and install ubuntu on it instead of windows.

If you wanted to save more money, dropping the CPU to an Athlon II X2 +AM3 mobo would work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Budget is as cheap as possible I guess. He would need a keyboard and mouse, and also a monitor.

So that would probably be another €200 on top of what you've suggested there deconduo?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

VonLuck wrote: »
    Budget is as cheap as possible I guess. He would need a keyboard and mouse, and also a monitor.

So that would probably be another €200 on top of what you've suggested there deconduo?

How big a monitor is needed? This is a nice cheap 19'' one:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38197&agid=292

Mouse:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27812&agid=759

You can get a keyboard from argos or something for less than €10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

VonLuck wrote: »
    My father is considering dumping his old laptop and picking up a cheap, reliable desktop. All he needs it for is browsing the internet, using Word and Excel and thats really it. So no graphics card or powerful processor needed!

I'm not sure whethegetting a desktop is the cheapest option though. Would he be more advised to get a netbook or something along those lines? He doesnt need it to be portable as he only uses it at home.

I dont know how cheap a setup like this could be. Any ideas?

If he wants another laptop here is prob the best and cheapest site on the net
    www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

tenner delivery to ireland, some good deals there

A desktop with monitor, win7, kb and mouse will cost more, but be generally faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

would he not consider buying an external monitor, keyboard and mouse for his laptop ?. I take it that it still works.

Advertisement