Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knock over today

• 23-07-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey All,

Was knocked off my bike today on the Harolds Cross Road at the hospice.
    The idiot pulled right across me on his was into the hospice.

Do drivers think that we cycle at a snails pace and that we can just pull the breaks and we stop immediately?

The same thing happened me just two minutes back the road but I managed to swerve out of the way.

Only a few bumps and cut, thankfully nothing serious. The bike is ok too!!

DOC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

There was something in the air today. Alot of closes passes for us earlier. Alot of drivers pass you as if you aren't moving. We were pounding out the watts.. oh yeah.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

doc1976

Sorry to hear this, and hope you are OK

If there is any chance of action being taken against the driver I would recommend you do not post any details here, as it could prejudice any proceedings

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Beasty wrote: »
    doc1976

Sorry to hear this, and hope you are OK

If there is any chance of action being taken against the driver I would recommend you do not post any details here, as it could prejudice any proceedings

Thanks

Beasty

No nothing gonna happen. Just annoyed at drivers attitudes. It wasn't like he couldn't see me, was a bit bright out today!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Actually can someone give some basics on what to do if you are in a collision. You tend not to be in the best of shape after an impact and it may not occur to you to do x,y,z.
    What details to the Garda take if they arrive on the scene, if there are witnesses, who gets their details?

We cyclists generally don't carry a pen and paper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doc1976 wrote: »
    Was knocked off my bike today on the Harolds Cross Road at the hospice. The idiot pulled right across me on his was into the hospice.

This has happened to me outside a hospital. Sick and dying relatives tend to be a distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Lumen wrote: »
    This has happened to me outside a hospital. Sick and dying relatives tend to be a distraction.

No excuse to cause more injurys and subsequently more visits to hospitals. vicious circle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

snubbleste wrote: »
    Actually can someone give some basics on what to do if you are in a collision. You tend not to be in the best of shape after an impact and it may not occur to you to do x,y,z.
    What details to the Garda take if they arrive on the scene, if there are witnesses, who gets their details?

Take a photo of the reg with your phone, call guards to scene.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

OMG

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

Take a photo of the reg with your phone, call guards to scene.

yup, everyone is obliged to stay until Gardai arrive unless no one wants it reported. If driver leaves, reg number, type of car, description of driver can be usefull.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You are legally required to report it to the Gardai if anyone is injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle

Not so sure if no motor vehicle is involved - in my collision with the tarmac a couple of years ago (where the Council ultimately accepted responsibility) I was infomed by one Gardai station to report it to the one covering the place where it happened, but when I tried to report it there they didn't want to know because no motor vehicle was involved

• Advertisement

What happens your bike if you're carted off to the hospital?

What happens your bike if you're carted off to the hospital?
    I was fortunate in that someone who stopped at the scene took it and left his contact details in my rucsack. Although I was conscious at the time, I was heavily concussed and cannot actually remember him or that he had left details, but he contacted the hospital later and I found his note. I went to pick the bike up a few weeks later

I came across a situation where a cyclist was taken to hospital last year - I knew him from my regular commute - he'd broken his wrist and was taken to hospital by ambulance, I was in the car and took his bike for him (it was a write-off though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dr.Millah wrote: »

No excuse to cause more injurys and subsequently more visits to hospitals. vicious circle

It's not about excuses, its about people under stress making mistakes.

Go extra carefully around hospital entrances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Hey All,

Was knocked off my bike today on the Harolds Cross Road at the hospice.
    The idiot pulled right across me on his was into the hospice.

Do drivers think that we cycle at a snails pace and that we can just pull the breaks and we stop immediately?

The same thing happened me just two minutes back the road but I managed to swerve out of the way.

Only a few bumps and cut, thankfully nothing serious. The bike is ok too!!

DOC

FFS - do you know why the driver might be going into a hospice? :mad: Do you realise what happens in these places??????????????
    Look fella, people make mistakes in life, and don't always have the eye on the ball. Ranting on an internet forum is really going to get us places:rolleyes:
    Expect the unexpected, Lumen has put it better than me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

gman2k wrote: »
    FFS - do you know why the driver might be going into a hospice? :mad: Do you realise what happens in these places??????????????

Oh well then it's perfectly fine to ignore the cyclist and so what if you hit him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Look fella, people make mistakes in life, and don't always have the eye on the ball. Ranting on an internet forum is really going to get us places:rolleyes:

14 question marks. And a rolly eye emoticon. In a post about the evils of ranting on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

the lad only told what happened to him today, getting knocked off your bike can be a frightening experience, hardly ranting !!. Of course we all know what happens in a hospice - the same way I know what happens in a funeral home.

Just cause someone works in a certain place doesn't mean they shouldn't take care in broad daylight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Oh wait Its ok Every one the driver was going into a hospice.. Sure fuc**k the cyclist, but if he hit a car it would be different is it ? How was he ranting if anything your the one that is ranting..

Ps.. if a car hits You he hits You doesnt matter if hes going to a hospice, wedding, home, work etc.

Expect the unexpected, wtf so next time se all get on our bikes we should expect to get hit by a car? Ya nice one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

2 x FFS but at the

Are you advocating that Ambulances / Police / Fire Engines are given carte blanch to mow down pedestrians & cyclists as they are "in a rush"

You can't ignore the rules of the road just because you are "in a hurry" regardless of where / what you are going to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

niceonetom wrote: »
    14 question marks. And a rolly eye emoticon. In a post about the evils of ranting on the internet.

I admire you. I thought you were taking the piss with the number but you actually counted them. Chapeau sir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

15 x ?

Don't forget the
    hospice? :mad:
    one :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I remember being very upset after a bereavement. I was in fit state to drive, so I didn't. Just the same as driving after a drink, or driving when tired. Its the drivers responsibility to be in a fit state to drive.

OP, did the driver at least stop to see how you are?

It's not about excuses, its about people under stress making mistakes.

Go extra carefully around hospital entrances.

I take that as good advice.

dayshah wrote: »
    I remember being very upset after a bereavement. I was in fit state to drive, so I didn't. Just the same as driving after a drink, or driving when tired. Its the drivers responsibility to be in a fit state to drive.

OP, did the driver at least stop to see how you are?

I take that as good advice.

Yeah stopped alright. In fairness to him he couldn't have apologised to me more than he did. He looked pretty shook himself, but I think he gave me a fake name when I asked him coz he paused to give me his surname.

Also he didn't say anything about visiting anyone in the hospice.

On a side note, there were plenty of witnesses to the accident but only one person came over to see if I was ok. I definitely remember a car beeping their horn behind me as it happened. They would have seen the whole thing happen and if I had of really hurt myself, would have been a key witness but decided to drive on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

They would have seen the whole thing happen and if I had of really hurt myself, would have been a key witness but decided to drive on.

I thought that is an offence too. I mean if I saw a pedestrian or cyclist get knocked over I'd definitely stop to make sure the person is ok. I wouldn't just assume it.

Cork24 wrote: »
    Oh wait Its ok Every one the driver was going into a hospice.. Sure fuc**k the cyclist, but if he hit a car it would be different is it ? How was he ranting if anything your the one that is ranting..

Ps.. if a car hits You he hits You doesnt matter if hes going to a hospice, wedding, home, work etc.

Expect the unexpected, wtf so next time se all get on our bikes we should expect to get hit by a car? Ya nice one..

Woah there.
    Obviously the driver was in the wrong, and obviously the cyclist was in the right. And there is legally no difference for a driver if he is going hospice/ wedding / home / work etc.
    I know it's not very PC around here to have an understanding of drivers also.
    If the cyclist was hit going by a McDonalds, or a Shopping Centre, you can blame outright carelessness more. But, the driver was pulling into a hospice (of course there is no way of knowing if the driver was an employee, or visiting a relative.)
    If the driver was in to visit a friend/relative, then please understand the possible mental state of that driver. They were going to visit a loved one who is dying inside that hospice.

I once worked in retail near a large hospital on the Southside, and one of the first things that was told to me was that some of the customers coming into the shop would be in a different place mentally than 'ordinary' customers. You had to expect the unexpected and always understand that they may be having a very hard time of themselves due to visiting sick family/ friends etc. People do very strange and abnormal things when under severe stress, it does not make them stupid or bad people.

When a parent of mine was dying in hospital, I don't know how I was able to drive properly, and you wouldn't even be able to remember sometimes how you drove there or where you parked etc. I know the responsible answer is that you should get someone else to drive you, or take public transport, but that is often not possible.

I'm glad that the OP is not badly hurt and that his bicycle is OK too.

Just back from a spin around the Phoenix park. A full family ran across my path where I nearly mowed into a five (around) kid. I looked around and told them to wake the f**k up and they were all laughing as if them or I being hurt was a big joke.

I wasn't exactly flying it but I could have hurt the kid pretty bad as he was only the height of my handlebars.

The two incidents in two days makes me look like I'm cycling around in a daze but I'm not, I'm always aware of whats goin on around me (even my driving instructor told me this!!).

BYW i was on the road not the cycle path as it was full of walkers this morning.

It's not about being pc. It's about taking responsibility for your driving when you get behind the wheel regardless of where you're driving to. Going to a hospital to visit a dying relative does not absolve you of that responsibility.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Going to a hospital to visit a dying relative does not absolve you of that responsibility.

Of course your responsibility remains the same, and I've never argued that.
    But to pretend that people are always 100% on their game when driving (or god forbid cycling) is delusional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

snubbleste wrote: »

Make sure the Gardai take all the details, I was knocked down and the driver admitted responsibility to the Garda. A year later and she has changed her mind, changed her statement and the garda didn't write down her admission or take the details of the 3 witnesses who came up to him afterwards.

I presume because it sounded like we were settling it amicably but be warned to make sure everything is written down or recorded on camera.
    If the cyclist was hit going by a McDonalds, or a Shopping Centre, you can blame outright carelessness more. But, the driver was pulling into a hospice (of course there is no way of knowing if the driver was an employee, or visiting a relative.)
    If the driver was in to visit a friend/relative, then please understand the possible mental state of that driver. They were going to visit a loved one who is dying inside that hospice.

PC? It is common sense to try and understand other road users for your own safety but If I was in that state I would ask for a lift or get a taxi, if your not fit to drive don't, same rules for any vehicle, no exceptions.

Its similar to drink drivers who get hauled to court and use the excuse that it was an "emotional" time, "I just lost someone". Thats not a reason, it is an excuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Same driver or different driver?
    You are the common factor in both incidents. Is there any way that you might be contributing to the perils you find yourself in?

FFS - do you know why the driver might be going into a hospice? :mad:
    Of course your responsibility remains the same, and I've never argued that.

Your first statement suggests otherwise.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just back from a spin around the Phoenix park. A full family ran across my path where I nearly mowed into a five (around) kid. I looked around and told them to wake the f**k up and they were all laughing as if them or I being hurt was a big joke.

There's two extremes with non-cyclists -- people who think bicycles will kill everybody and others who think bicycles are a joke and can do no harm to them.

Same driver or different driver?
    You are the common factor in both incidents. Is there any way that you might be contributing to the perils you find yourself in?

Different driver on both occasions. One was in their 20's the other their 30's. Both men btw.

I think common sense by both would have resulted in a different outcome. Simply just waiting until I passed the area they wanted to go would have fixed it.

I could have easily been ploughed out of it by a car behind me having swerved out to miss the first car. I didn't have the time to swerve the offending van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Woah there.
    Obviously the driver was in the wrong, and obviously the cyclist was in the right. And there is legally no difference for a driver if he is going hospice/ wedding / home / work etc.

I once worked in retail near a large hospital on the Southside, and one of the first things that was told to me was that some of the customers coming into the shop would be in a different place mentally than 'ordinary' customers. You had to expect the unexpected and always understand that they may be having a very hard time of themselves due to visiting sick family/ friends etc. People do very strange and abnormal things when under severe stress, it does not make them stupid or bad people.

When a parent of mine was dying in hospital, I don't know how I was able to drive properly, and you wouldn't even be able to remember sometimes how you drove there or where you parked etc. I know the responsible answer is that you should get someone else to drive you, or take public transport, but that is often not possible.

I'm glad that the OP is not badly hurt and that his bicycle is OK too.

So again Its ok to knock down someone and could have killed the poor lad once he was going into see a Dying person.. i couldnt give a flying shi**t if the pope, Dalai Lama was in that hospice.. You hit some one your to blame end of your dumb as* comments on he was seen a dying family member.. hes not to blame..

were all going to die most of us will end up in a hospice and if i hit a cyclist going into one while seen a family member i would stand up and say i was in the wrong..

And once again were all fu** cyclist and drivers so were did your comment on..

Come from ?

Let's keep it civil guys

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement

So again Its ok to knock down someone and could have killed the poor lad once he was going into see a Dying person.. i couldnt give a flying shi**t if the pope, Dalai Lama was in that hospice.. You hit some one your to blame end of your dumb as* comments on he was seen a dying family member.. hes not to blame..

were all going to die most of us will end up in a hospice and if i hit a cyclist going into one while seen a family member i would stand up and say i was in the wrong..

And once again were all fu** cyclist and drivers so were did your comment on..

Come from ?

Maybe actually read what I said? For ease I'll condense it for you:

The driver was at fault - he's 100% legally responsible. The cyclist was blameless.
    Drivers sometimes are mentally preoccupied with other issues.
    Where possible prepare for the unexpected.
    If you are unhurt and the bike is ok, and there may be extenuating circumstances, chalk it down to life experience and move on.
    Not all cyclists are red light Lycra louts. Not all motorists are out to murder cyclists at every possible opportunity.

The rest of your post is hard to understand, so I won't try to comment further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Maybe actually read what I said? For ease I'll condense it for you:

The driver was at fault - he's 100% legally responsible. The cyclist was blameless.
    Drivers sometimes are mentally preoccupied with other issues.
    Where possible prepare for the unexpected.
    If you are unhurt and the bike is ok, and there may be extenuating circumstances, chalk it down to life experience and move on.
    Not all cyclists are red light Lycra louts. Not all motorists are out to murder cyclists at every possible opportunity.

The rest of your post is hard to understand, so I won't try to comment further.

Not wading in on the blame issue here or anything, but I will simply echo what I have said to a number of friends when they started learning to drive, and many of them have said their own instructors said the same to them after - "Looking out for your own mistakes is easy. It's looking out for everyone else's that's difficult."

Personally I believe this statement applies to all road use, driver, cyclist and pedestrian alike, and while I'm not disputing the blame on the driver by any stretch of the imagination, I feel we all have a duty, even if just to ourselves, to be fully aware of what's going on around us. After all, no one of us is infallible, no matter how hard we try, so if (when?) it happens that we make a mistake that could cause an accident, it would be better for everyone if another road user's observation and awareness can avert it

Advertisement