Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Trout Fishing

Options
  • 23-07-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could help - I am looking to do a bit of trout fishing in Waterford tomorrow.

It will be spinning and fly. Just wondering where would be the best lakes? And how cheap/expensive for a day pass are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

hey hybrid,

If you are around waterford again in the near future or are intrested in doing a spot of fishing again down around here, there is a few lakes that you can try.

If you go to http://www.flyfishingarena.ie/index.php/waterford

the better of the two lakes IMO is knockaderry. You can hire a boat and day permit in Kilmedan in the centra.

Also there is a stock rainbow lake with good fishing and great facilities in the mooncoin area called Ardaire Springs. http://www.ardairesprings.com/

Hope this helps.

If you need anything shout back. Il try me best to help ya out.

Edit: the lakes in Kilmedan are all Fly Only, and the Ardaire Springs, is fly and Worm on float.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hybrid Soul

Thats great, thanks. I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

I come from near Knockaderry myself - a challenging lake but with beautiful surroundings. Ballysionnach is quite near to it and all normal methods used to be legal on it (25 years ago anyhow). I'd also recommend one small river called the Dawn which runs from Ballysionnach through the Ballyduff/Kilmeaden townlands into the Suir. Was down home last year and the stock of small ish brownies in there was amazing - approach the local land owners before going onto it of course.

how ya gettin on Evan. Cheers for the info, If you could PM me with the directions to the river i would be grateful.

Im dyin to fish some unknown waters specially locally.

Look forward to your PM, thanks.

:)

The river runs all along the old Cork road (N25) from the bottom of Ballyduff hill through to Haughtons pub near Matthews Cross. Here's a link to an OSI view of the rivers course alongside the road: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,649289,609681,4,10

• Advertisement

cheers man.

Is the fishing anyway at all decent on it.. or just a bit of fun. :)

Sorry for the slow reply - honestly I don't know. When I spoke to my parents and other locals they all said that no one seemed to fish the river since I moved away, 20+ years ago. Back then the fish were: many many nippers, some decent fish (up to 10 ounces) with the occasional whopper (1-2 lbs). Whether this is the case any more, I honestly have no idea. I can say that the now defunct Long Haul Inn had a pool behind it which we looked into last year and saw literally scores of fish of various sizes through very clear water.

Cheers for the reply Evan, thats great heasd up on the info there.

Its mad how little rivers dont get the mention anymore.. And they can b gud crac an abit of fun to try catch. even the smallest little fellas can be fun.

Im not to sure of where the long haul in is based.. if you could PM me with some directions to any pools il b gladly willing to throw a fly in an see if i can update ya on sum of the results..

Any help or info greatly appricated..

Thanks a million :)

When travelling west along the N25 there will be hills running along the left hand side of the road, mostly tree covered. You'll come to a point where the hills drop away, this marks where the Long Haul Inn is on the right hand side of the road and where the river itself cuts underneath the N25 (flowing South->North). The pool I mentioned is perhaps 25-30 yards downriver of the bridge though the challenge would be casting without getting caught up. I look forward to your reports!

Advertisement