Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man of the Tour

• 23-07-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

So, it's nearly all over, bar the shouting (green jersey), and it's been great, I wish there was a rest day Monday & we could continue for another week/month etc :pac:. Some epic stages, epic winners, good/bad tactics, politics, crashes, mad drivers, mad motorbikers, mad supporters, epic attacks, weather, climbs, sprints, broken dreams. We followed the story of how one man chased that little yellow jersey and finally gets it after one more gargantuan effort, a quiet un-assuming man. He chased and plotted, gave all he had, and yet there were times (Izoard/Telegraphe) when he must have thought, "oh oh". When he wins, and this year is proving to be quite successful, he doesn't go banannas, just a singe fist pump and it's like "yeah, nice one".
    Nice guys 'do' win GTs.
    Cadel Evans, my Man of the Tour.

So..............who's your MOTT ??!! :pac:
    (Hopefully I haven't left out anyone)

MOTT 112 votes

Evans
    0% 0 votes
    Andy
    18% 21 votes
    Voeckler
    2% 3 votes
    Contador
    50% 56 votes
    Hushovd
    2% 3 votes
    Sanchez
    5% 6 votes
    Gilbert
    0% 1 vote
    Rolland
    0% 1 vote
    Hoogerland
    6% 7 votes
    Roy
    7% 8 votes
    Cavendish
    2% 3 votes
    E the Boss Hagen
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I voted Rolland for being an exemplary teammate to Voeckler. I was just going through the reasons why they're all on that list and to be honest all of them have been extraordinary. Evans finally gets his yellow jersey, Hoogerlands 33 stitches, Roy's 33 break aways (well, nearly), Voeckler fighting so hard in yellow, Hoshovds hanging onto yellow at Super Besse, by golly 'twas some tour.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread held back until midnight to avoid the need for spoiler tags;)

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

you missed roche :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

I think this Tour has been one of the best ones for years considering what has happened throughout. Who could have predicted Thor getting the yellow jersey and holding it until the first rest day even in 1/2 of the mountains in the first few days along with his two wins. Hoogerland for recovering from the 33 stitches and being able to finish the tour after a horrible crash along with Flecha. Gilbert surprised me a lot also, didn't think he would be a green jersey contender at the start but thats bike racing! Rolland was a brilliant help for Tommy V and definitely deserved his win yesterday. Roys breakaways were a delight to watch, even if he only cost 2 points on velogames :pac: Andys win from 60k out was crazy also, didn't think he would stay out but ah well, Chapeau! Evans, how can I forget you.. you rocked all Tour :)

Tommy V is my pick for his unbelievable riding holding onto the jersey for so long while riding with the main favourites for a good few stages, everyday I was shouting him on in the pub :D All in all, I loved every minute of it.. Bring on the Vuelta :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Feck. post didn't go through. hoogerland us my mott. not only did he get bowled over like a skittle in a bowling alley by an "official" car whilst in a potentially stage winning break,, he had the humility to forgive and forget. if I had 33 stitches in my leg, and my arse shown to the world, I'd be watching on tv at home, not up the alps attacking time and time again. the man is insatiable. I wish I had a fraction of his spirit.
    tommy v is a close second for sheer beligerence in refusing to relinquish that yellow, despite being out of his normal territory. he made the tour one of the most enjoyable to watch in years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Pity we cant pick more then one.
    Gibert and Hushvod in the early stages.
    TV and Rolland mid to late section.
    TV,Evans,AS and AC late tour.
    Hoogerland and Flecha need no explantion.
    Jeremy Roy who I am starting to believe suffers claustrophobia as he was always out the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Tommy V!

/Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Men of the tour: Evans, Thor and tommy v.

Letdown: the Dutch fans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

iregk wrote: »
    Letdown: the Dutch fans.

Why so?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Has to be rolland. The amount of work he did for Tommy was unreal and then to be able to ride away on Alpe de Huez was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Tommy V for sheer tenacity, he wasn't suppossed to hold onto the yellow for that long by everyones reckoning, then a toss up between AS and CE, Andy for loosening up the neck muscles on Thursday, and Cadel for not panicking in the Alps, and that incredible ITT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I thought Jeremy Roy would be out front at this point :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Hermy wrote: »
    Why so?

When Voeckler was climbing Alpe d'Huez, he seemed to get very pissed off going around Dutch corner. He was yelling and gesticulating at the fans there really angrily, the commentators speculated that they were taking the piss out of him. They may not have been, but something really pissed him off. That's probably why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Why no Basso? - He cooks a mean shoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

mfdc wrote: »
    When Voeckler was climbing Alpe d'Huez, he seemed to get very pissed off going around Dutch corner. He was yelling and gesticulating at the fans there really angrily, the commentators speculated that they were taking the piss out of him. They may not have been, but something really pissed him off. That's probably why :)

Apparently they were booing him for upping the pace after the Flecha-Hoogerland crash

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Everyone on that list showed great panache,but Voeckler was the hero!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

aquanaut wrote: »
    Why no Basso? - He cooks a mean shoe!

That stupid f'in advert, the only thing to cause irritation to me on viewing this tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Rolland
    Tommy V
    Gilbery
    Hoogerland

In that order for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

CramCycle wrote: »
    That stupid f'in advert, the only thing to cause irritation to me on viewing this tour.

Good job you werent watching on ITV 4 and those poxy Boardman 'trailers' just before the ads and just after the ads.
    'I always wondered why they had a second and third place on the podium'
    'I knew I had given my best.....'
    WE DONT GIVE A FOOK especially after 3 weeks of listening to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

So confident am I that Tommy V is winning this pole in a landslide that I am not even going to bother checking the results.

• Advertisement
Advertisement