Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone running a single 6970 for eyefinity?

Options
  • 23-07-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade-the current setup is:

I5-750 @ 2.67
    P55A-UD3 motherboard
    4GB Gskill DDR3-1600
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    Radeon 5870 1 Gb
    3 x 1680 x1050 monitors.

This system is only used mainly playing games; BFBC2, STALKER CoP, Fallout 3, COD black ops and similar.

The current PC runs most at well over the 40/50 FPS mark @ 5040 x 1050, medium to high settings on most games. The thing is I can get my hands on 3 x Samsung BX2440X' at reasonable money, and want to know if a single 6970 is good enough to run currently released (& hopefully future games) at 5760x1080.

There are a lot of eyefinity crossfire reviews on the net, but not many mention single cards. The more forum posts I browse the more
    confused I get...
    I will eventually go with CF, when funds permit, but a single card will have to do for now.

Also, do you think my current MB & CPU good enough?

So, is anyone here running a single 6970 Eyefinity with 3 x 1920x1080 monitors in eyefinity?
    Or anyone running 2 x 6970's crossfire with similar monitors that could drop out a card & let me know how it goes? I want to get a realistic idea of
    what to expect.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I was running a 5870 1gb in eyefinity and could play all games at 5700*1200 settings, some stutter but not much. I have recently upgraded to a 6970 2gb soon to be two of them and it runs alot better and smoother. The only game I can see it having a problem with that i play is crysis 2 with dx11 and the high texture packs and tesselation as even a 6990 or gtx590 cant play that in 3 screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

deceit,

Thanks for the reply. Saw you nabbed the one on adverts for 200-was looking at same. :)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

glynf wrote: »
    deceit,

Thanks for the reply. Saw you nabbed the one on adverts for 200-was looking at same. :)

Best of luck with it.

Thanks yea its been running perfect for me, couldnt be happier with it and finally running crysis warhead on max settings and playable framerates is good :) while running stuff on my other screens.

Can't find one for sale except Hardwareversand-and i'm a bit nervous about them (a few people here seem to be having issues with them), anyone here get one lately?

Overclockers have these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-148-OK

Anyone buy one? I take it they're reference cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Got 2 6970s from HWVS recently. No problems but haven't got the monitors yet to test in eyefinity.
    Wouldn't buy from them though because its €30 delivery charge so unless you get a full build it doesn't make sense.

Take note though, I'm a bit disappointed in that the reference saphire 6970s don't have a BIOS switch.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Got 2 6970s from HWVS recently. No problems but haven't got the monitors yet to test in eyefinity.
    Wouldn't buy from them though because its €30 delivery charge so unless you get a full build it doesn't make sense.

Take note though, I'm a bit disappointed in that the reference saphire 6970s don't have a BIOS switch.

Saw that, so ordered one off OCUK today, 12Stg delivery. :)

I'm not fussed over the BIOS s/w as no interest in flashing same. Can I ask did yours come with the standard or mini display port connections?

The existing setup I have I'm using 2 no. DVI's and a displayport > VGA adapter for the 3rd monitor, if its a mini display port I wiill ave to get a different adapter till I get my new screens.

**From reviews looks like it is, will the standard apple one do, any one using?

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MB572Z/A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The saphire 6970s have a built in minidisplayport output but came with a mini to full size adapter in the box. Maybe watch an unboxing video of yours to see what it comes with. What brand did you get?

Thanks for that, Got an OCUK branded one, which is a standard reference one. These things are in short supply at the moment (bar paying Pixmania €400 for a Sapphire..).

I will drop them a mail tomorrow.

Advertisement