Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I wouldn't hold up much hope for 252 given that the Fab 208's tower was demolished in recent days.

http://www.tageblatt.lu/digital/foto/story/Ein-Stuck-Radiogeschichte-ist-verschwunden-22197357

Commercial operator and a long standing dispute over the output power were major contributors - 252 is a different scenario (albeit RTE will sight the cost of LW etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Antenna

I'm surprised Long wave hasn't featured in any of the parties manifestos considering all politicians were apparently being inundated with calls about it........

well it would be mainly of concern for listeners in Northern Ireland (in areas with patchy or no RTE FM reception) as well as the Irish in Britain - they do not have a vote in the General Election here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Infoanon wrote: »
    Commercial operator and a long standing dispute over the output power were major contributors - 252 is a different scenario (albeit RTE will sight the cost of LW etc)

True but it's making it abundently clear that European broadcasters want no part in LW and more and want rid of it. If the biggest and best loved of them all is gone then God be with the minor rigs and set ups as they can't look to the likes of 208 for examples of why LW should be retained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

There are several boards with stories of "Hot Hits 252"
    One even suggests that "a 6 month test will be 6am -- 18:00 at a power of 100kw"
    Anyone over there know anything about this please or is it a windup?

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    One even suggests that "a 6 month test will be 6am -- 18:00 at a power of 100kw"

Regards

it has to be a windup surely. i could not see anyone launching a station, never mind a music station on longwave in europe again.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Possibly a pirate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Regards

I did a quick check on the internet and I saw some of the references referred to. There are a few schools of thought on this. (a) A complete hoax, (b) a small bedroom broadcast job and (c) a pirate remembering Atlantic 252 but not on that frequency. If it is genuine, it will not be on 252 because of RTE Radio 1 and I would be amazed if it was a Long Wave pirate. For that matter, it is not clear, if genuine, whether this would be a UK-based or Irish-based setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

I presume RTE have abandoned their plan to close long wave as the wind down of the service this year hasn't happened ?

According to this it has been extended to at least 2017.....
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1219/667931-rte-longwave/
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

According to this it has been extended to at least 2017.....
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1219/667931-rte-longwave/
    Regards
    RTÉ Radio 1 LW will operate a full service in 2015, with reduced hours in 2016 before working towards a full shutdown in 2017.

You seem to have missed that bit.

Knowing RTE we probably won't know anything until the last minute.

SPDUB wrote: »
    You seem to have missed that bit.

Knowing RTE we probably won't know anything until the last minute.

Yes --- I seem to have --- sorry !!!
    Regards

RTE Radio 1 has quietly dropped a substantial amount of programs in recent times that appealed to elderly listeners. I only noticed last night that they no longer do the Sunday night GAA results that the late Sean Og O Ceallach in used to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

RTE Radio 1 has quietly dropped a substantial amount of programs in recent times that appealed to elderly listeners. I only noticed last night that they no longer do the Sunday night GAA results that the late Sean Og O Ceallach in used to do.

I thought that they retired with Sean in 2011.

I thought that they retired with Sean in 2011.

Probably, I just always assumed it had continued with other sportscasters.

252 went down for a few hours last night. 2RN said it was a technical fault on Aertel. Came back just after 11pm. During that time, Algeria was quite strong, if I moved the radio in the right direction it was coming in very clearly.

Some posters on DS are reporting very poor reception in the UK, seems that the power is way down. Was reported on here as 150kW by day and 60kW by night, but seems it might be even lower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Karsini wrote: »
    252 went down for a few hours last night. 2RN said it was a technical fault on Aertel. Came back just after 11pm. During that time, Algeria was quite strong, if I moved the radio in the right direction it was coming in very clearly.

Some posters on DS are reporting very poor reception in the UK, seems that the power is way down. Was reported on here as 150kW by day and 60kW by night, but seems it might be even lower.

Chaine 3 is 1.5MW and the sea path also helps somewhat for the British Isles

marno21 wrote: »
    Chaine 3 is 1.5MW and the sea path also helps somewhat for the British Isles
    Is this even the case at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV_YTOh13xo

If you like LW dxing I thought this was nice. smile.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Although I wish Algers Chaine 3 was not on 252 you have to agree it's a lovely tower.

tipazalw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 4 band radio

The survey findings about this was published recently, RTE point out that the findings show that most lw listeners actually own a computer and have an internet connection but save lw campaigners say the findings show that RTE lw is an only lifeline and that the power should be turned up.

Is this even the case at night?
    Not sure to be honest Karsini. But if Algeria reduced power proportionally with RTE it would still cause major issues with the addition of skywave interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

marno21 wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest Karsini. But if Algeria reduced power proportionally with RTE it would still cause major issues with the addition of skywave interference.

https://www.quora.com/How-far-do-longwave-radio-signals-travel

If I understand the info in this site, it's not skywave that affects LF, but that at night the D layer absorbs less of the lower LW frequencies so it travels further as a groundwave.
    At night, MF will penetrate through the lessened D layer and refract off the E and F layers but LF (LW) don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Antenna

Tuned into 252 around 10PM on a car radio in vicinity of Cork city last night - Algeria was very much on top of RTE, with RTE only there in the background. (In sharp contrast BBC R4 reception on 198 LW in the south of Ireland is free of any night-time interference from any other station)

Campaigner, and retired RTE employee, Enda O'Kane had a letter published in the Irish Examiner yesterday about this LW service. Again raising the issue of moving it up to the adjacent 261kHz which is now disused in Europe.

A move to 261 kHz will result in either no noticeable interference, or just very slight (tolerable) interference from Algeria in the parts of Ireland and the UK that have severe night-time interference to RTE LW as of now.

I cannot see why not there could be an international agreement for temporary permission (which can keep getting extended) for RTE to move to 261kHz with the understanding that they have to move back to 252 if Germany reactivates its long dormant 261 allocation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Brother camping

Those wan&ers at 2rn dumped some very interesting stuff that was in storage at the transmitter hall. I can't understand why the bastards didn't leave it alone

What sort of stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Brother camping

What sort of stuff?

Left over boxes of Merchandise from A252 tshirts, sweatshirts etc. A Bag of letters from listeners to Charlie wolf, Cart machines and carts

You did well finding this thread which was last active in 2016, and equally well finding a post from 2014 on Page 9!

The Middle class South Dublin Libertarians got one up in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭doughef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

Poor old Bebo must be gone to his MySpace page to cry over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I don't miss the 252 at all. The signal was to weak to really achieve anything in terms of reception in the UK, to be of any real value. I often think it should have taken off the air sooner, especially as they reduced transmission power more and more.

They did attempt to take it off the air earlier, more than once, but they got a big backlash so they deferred it. It was different this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheBMG

that is a truely awful piece of writing.

Did anyone who is part of the ‘save 252’ campaign actually try to receive it in Britain at any stage in the last ten years?

Because I did - and it was very very poor.

Perhaps a radio ham with a good communications receiver and frame antenna could make a go of it, but that’s about it.

Are we also to believe that immigrants who left Ireland 60 years (and there are several of them in my family) are still pining desperately for the Angelus and at no stage over the last six decades integrated in any way into the society around them? What an incredibly patronising viewpoint.

As for the cost comparison - spending 350,000 on the host of Liveline may seem like a lot of loot - but he brings in multiples of that in revenue.

if even the Brits no longer listen to AM (as can be seen by the mass switch offs across the UK) then who in Gods name was listening to 252?

More like a very deluded article on longwave closure. How did they listen to RTE Radio One before 2004, when it was allocated that additional Long Wave frequency, previously occupied by Atlantic 252 and briefly Teamtalk? Medium Wave maybe? I don't recall any outcry about the Irish emigrants in the UK in 2008 over the closure of the MW transmitters that year.

Seriously, how many people were listening to RTE Radio 1 on Long Wave this year in the UK? As TheBMG said, the article assumes that Irish people would not have integrated into UK society in the meantime, and, if they did, I doubt very much that they would be listening to RTE Radio 1 by any means.

It was nice to have as an option for a while, but time has moved on and so have most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

His mother (in Cork!!!) is well able to watch TV on Sky but oddly enough not listen to the radio services on Sky, odd

Does he expect RTE to cancel TLLS and have blank screens for 2 hours on a Friday night, or dead air on Radio 1 every afternoon? You can debate how overpaid RT / JD may or may not be, but if they leave they're not going to be replaced by a volunteer 🙄

Stupid, stupid article. I clicked on another one linked from it about how once SF get in we'll all be rich and we'll be building motorways all over NI as well as solving the housing crisis here. I can only conclude that publication caters for the deluded.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheBMG

There was an article I read elsewhere that suggested switching off 252 meant that the Irish were discriminating against the immigrants who went to the UK - and that we wouldn’t do this to immigrant's who went to North America.

Famously (and perhaps to our shame) the state never provided a radio service that would’ve been readily available in North America. There were low powered Radio Éireann SW transmissions for a number of years but they never amounted to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But now of course it's accessible globally, regardless of weather conditions, time of day, location... but that's still not good enough for some!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Watches matches on Sky and can use an iPhone.

Family member installs the Irish Radioplayer app, says mammy, when you want to listen to RTE, tap this.

Done.

This is all a load of bollocks and the utter silence around this closure just confirms it.

Advertisement