Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkgate or Mount Oval ??

Options
  • 23-07-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am looking at renting a house in either of these estates. I need honest opinions about both estates. The pluses for Parkgate is that it is nearer shops with better public transport but has older houses and would probably be harder/dearer to heat.

The pluses for Mountoval is that the houses are newer and have a better ber rating. The cons are that the houses are slightly smaller, are farther away from shops and dont have as good a public transport system. Also in winter might be hard to leave the estate in heavy snow and ice.

I also want to know which would be a better address to have as I dont know the areas at all. We were driving around Grange tonight and were at traffic lights when this young girl lent out of a vw golf and got sick at the traffic lights she was so bad that the lights changed at least once before they could move off. I am sure this could happen anywhere but it didnt look good.

Any opinions would be appreciated as I am 3 weeks away from giving birth to no. 2 and I am so sick at looking at houses. I am making a decision on this by Monday!

Thanks in advance.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Firstly with regard to the roads and winter etc., both estates are in hilly areas, so its a common demonitor.
    So the choice is Mount Oval or Parkgate, its an easy one, Mount Oval. Grange is overall a nice area, there is a part of Grange called Pinecroft. There is a bit of an element in that particular park, if you know what I mean.
    There is infairness great shops in Grange eg Supervalu, Lidl etc., but having said that then there is a great Spar shop in Mount Oval in what is like a little village with other retailers, bar, restaurant etc.,
    On the snobbery scale though Mount Oval wins as well, because it is in Rochestown and Parkgate is in, well Grange. ( I always find it interesting when people say ' Grange, Douglas').
    I would suggest that you take a spin around both areas on Sunday afternoon and then around 9 or 10 on Sunday night. Just keep an eye on the teenage population and the type that frequent the pubs in Grange.

Also don't write off public transport in Mount Oval, there is a new bus route operating over there the No. 16.

Ps all the best with the new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MW1

Thanks for that KUB, all sound advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

kub wrote: »
    So the choice is Mount Oval or Parkgate, its an easy one, Mount Oval. Grange is overall a nice area, there is a part of Grange called Pinecroft. There is a bit of an element in that particular park, if you know what I mean.

that element is really every housing estate on the left side of the road up to about the church from the donnybrook direction. Frankfield is possibly the polar opposite, parkgate is in Frankfield and i honestly could not see you having any hassle there.

well Grange. ( I always find it interesting when people say ' Grange, Douglas').

that is because the address is Grange, Douglas, just like Donnybrook, Douglas, or Maryborough Hill, Douglas.

I would suggest that you take a spin around both areas on Sunday afternoon and then around 9 or 10 on Sunday night. Just keep an eye on the teenage population and the type that frequent the pubs in Grange.

Ps all the best with the new arrival.

+1 to this the teenage gangs will be hanging around by about 9pm up there but they usually congregate around the pinecroft and the grange pubs, (these are a bit away from parkgate though) and if you are looking to get out for a night i would recommend you get the (very regular bus) down to Douglas village yourself.

that is one of the few things parkgate area has going for it, it has one of the best bus timetables in Cork for regularity and its so near Douglas village.

with mount oval its nice, but very secluded with as far as i can see a very irregular bus service! the spar is handy but then its much further from Douglas if you don't have a car, and even if you do the rochestown road can be a nightmare (but then so can the donnybrook hill).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MW1

I genuinely do not know either areas. Both of ye are right a bit of a recce is called for I think and then I can see what type of creatures come out at night!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Teenagers hanging around drinking is a problem in mount oval also. A friend of mine lived there and the part they were in attracted them. Quiet and out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

mt oval also has its fair share of teens and gangs hanging around. There is a new estate across the road from Mt oval which has led to a lot of trouble in the area. good ides to check out both areas at different times of the day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'd pick Parkgate due to its closeness to the village, shops, regular bus. Mount Oval for me is too far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

You are really no closer to Douglas village in Parkgate than in Mount Oval. Pretty long walk in either case or a drive. Is there a shop close to park gate or within 5 mins walk? I'm not sure to be honest. There is in Mount Oval which is very handy when popping out for a pint of milk. Also a pub which does decent food right there in the estate (may not be a big concern though with young kids).
    If you drive everywhere anyway, then the difference between the 2 is fairly small location wise. How often are you actually going to walk or get the bus? Neither location is close enough to amenities to change this habit unless you already get the bus or walk regularly.

One other thing to possibly consider is the location of each house with in the estate. I was trying to make a very similar decision between estates close to the ones you mention. With 2 young kids (under 4), what swung it for me was that one of the houses was near the entrance to the estate and the road was busyish. The other house was at the very back of the estate in a cul de sac. We chose that one as the road is far quieter and much safer with no cars flying past all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

I live in Grange,Pinecroft estate to be exact!I also have friends and a sister living in Mount Oval.

I was working in Mount Oval last winter and it was impassable some mornings.

I love where I live,it is actually very quiet contrary to what others may say!

You will find teenagers hanging around in every suburb in the city.Its what teenagers do.Don't let that put you off.Your children will be teenagers too one day!

Grange has a lot more good points than bad points IMO.Fantastic primary school[my children go there].Shops,medical centre and pharmacy nearby.2 takeaways.You also have Douglas village down the road and Wilton is only 5 minutes on the link road.The bus service is great too.

I think that ParkGate has a nicer feel to it than Mount Oval.More of a community spirit.

If I can be any more help just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Grange is overall a nice area, there is a part of Grange called Pinecroft. There is a bit of an element in that particular park, if you know what I mean.

I lived in Pinecroft for years and years. The woods does draw a certain amount of underage drinking but it's not too bad, ppl go for walks around there at all hours of the morning and feel completely safe, never had trouble or know anyone who did.

I also have lived in Parkgate, I wouldn't be the greatest fan, it's very built up in my opinion, cars everywhere. In general it is quite enough though, although in our case party mad loud neighbors probably made us dislike it most. It depends what side of parkgate you are on though, east avenue looks better (detached houses, more space, more expensive of course :) ).

Good luck choosing the right one, best thing to do is visit the places on the weekend nights if you can, seems to be when most "trouble" is about in any park. Try visit your potential neighbors too, ask about the place, and even see what they are like!

Edit: one thing about Parkgate, it's right next to Vernon mount race track, so every 5 weeks or so there might be a bunch of scramblers going at the weekend, slightly noisey, but I didn't mind it tbh, you get to walk over to the woods and watch for free :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement